C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Blower ('67 A/C) works only on HIGH--resistor OK

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Blower ('67 A/C) works only on HIGH--resistor OK

On my '67 A/C coupe, the climate control blower works only with switch in HIGH position. I replaced the resistor with a new one from Paragon, but since the old one hadn't shown open circuit when I checked across the pins for continuity and didn't look broken when I took it out, I wasn't too surprised that the new resistor changed nothing.

In the picture JohnZ posted (reposted here), looks like the "middle" tab perpendicular to the pair has a white wire. All three of the wires are black in my car.:- Here's what I did learn with a test light. I unplugged the connector from the resistor and tested for power at each tab socket on the connector for each switch position.

OFF Yellow wire has power.
LOW Yellow wire has power
MEDIUM Yellow and white wires have power
HIGH Yellow and white wires have power (but blower runs even with connector unplugged. I assume this is correct--resistor is bypassed in HIGH.)

With connector unplugged from resistor, I don't see power at the blue wire at ANY blower switch position. If the blue is the "output" end of the resistor assembly, then maybe that is as it should be.

What do these test light results tell me? Are they what would be expected with a good switch and wiring?
Attached Images
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SI67
On my '67 A/C coupe, the climate control blower works only with switch in HIGH position. I replaced the resistor with a new one from Paragon, but since the old one hadn't shown open circuit when I checked across the pins for continuity and didn't look broken when I took it out, I wasn't too surprised that the new resistor changed nothing.

In the picture JohnZ posted (reposted here), looks like the "middle" tab perpendicular to the pair has a white wire. All three of the wires are black in my car.:- Here's what I did learn with a test light. I unplugged the connector from the resistor and tested for power at each tab socket on the connector for each switch position.

OFF Yellow wire has power.
LOW Yellow wire has power
MEDIUM Yellow and white wires have power
HIGH Yellow and white wires have power (but blower runs even with connector unplugged. I assume this is correct--resistor is bypassed in HIGH.)

With connector unplugged from resistor, I don't see power at the blue wire at ANY blower switch position. If the blue is the "output" end of the resistor assembly, then maybe that is as it should be.

What do these test light results tell me? Are they what would be expected with a good switch and wiring?
Attached Images
Test you fan switch.

Quick Reply: Blower ('67 A/C) works only on HIGH--resistor OK