C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buzzing sound in front end????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:51 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Buzzing sound in front end????

I just started getting an occasional short "BZZ" sound coming from the radiator area, where the horns are or the horn relay. And this is with the battery disconnected!!!

I was cleaning the front grille of the '66 the other night with 0000 grade fine steel wool when I first heard it every 15 min or so. It's definitely in the front some where. The battery cables were disconnected at the time, but my battery trickle charger was connected (and not plugged in). When I plugged in the charger, it showed the warning light that the cables were reversed. They weren't. I unplugged the charger and it showed the same thing. It's shot and I'll return it for an exchange. But I still hear the buzzing sound!

I made sure that the horn relay ground screw was tightened better, horn wires connected with no shorts, and alternator connections secure. No problems. I also drove it to and from a show an hour away with no problems, and this occurred afterwards. This "ghost" noise confuses the hell outa me

Could there be a static charge built up from using those steel wool pads on the grille? Or do the static collectors in the front wheel bearing dust caps discharge at times? I've never experienced this. And no, there is no bee hive stuck under the car or in the radiator shroud!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'm sticking my neck out on this. I think you heard some sound of your cooling system. After running, then shut down, the pressure rises and sometimes funny sounds can be heard as a result. Dennis
Old 09-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I think you have a wasp or other insect stuck somewhere & it wants to get out.......I know, you said no hive, but....

Last year I heard a similar sound in one of my garage AC wall units (while it was off). Just was an angry, and then very dead insect (I fogged it).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 09-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I'm sticking my neck out on this. I think you heard some sound of your cooling system. After running, then shut down, the pressure rises and sometimes funny sounds can be heard as a result. Dennis
The car had been sitting in the garage without being driven for a week when I first heard it. That's when I was cleaning the front grille for a show the next morning. So it was dead cold. It's definitely like a brief electrical buzzing noise. And the timing of the 3 stage battery charger shorting out at the same time is coincidental.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I also drove it to and from a show an hour away with no problems, and this occurred afterwards. This "ghost" noise confuses the hell outa me

Your statement above sent me in the direction of the cooling system sounds. Keep some bug spray handy. Dennis
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I also drove it to and from a show an hour away with no problems, and this occurred afterwards. This "ghost" noise confuses the hell outa me

Your statement above sent me in the direction of the cooling system sounds. Keep some bug spray handy. Dennis
Ya know, it might not be a bad idea to spray some wasp/hornet spray inside both horns, just in case one got trapped inside there! I shouldn't have dismissed that so easily. I'm going out into the garage with a fly swatter and a hockey mask now. Wish me luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing sound in front end????

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound in front end????