C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water hose fitting for aluminum manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Michael H
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Water hose fitting for aluminum manifold

The machine shop working on my engine ended up shattering the 3/4" threaded area on the intake manifold taking off the heater hose fitting. There was a plug where the fitting should go, and the fitting is where the temp sending unit goes, so I had them remove the fitting and plug. They repaired it, and it's OK, but I am now looking for a heater hose fitting that will not seize over time on the aluminum intake.

Is Brass safer to use for this? Are there brass replacement parts out there?

I am looking for something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Chrome-Water-Pump-Fitting-Chevy-heater-hose-nipple-5-8-inch-3-4-pipe-/261136509049?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cccf2e879&vxp=mtr
but not steel. I realize steel is stock, bu I don't want to encounter the same problem again.

thanks,
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

That EPay fitting makes me nervous. I can't tell if it's just highly polished aluminum or if it is aluminum which has been chromed. Either way, you'll be screwing aluminum into aluminum, which is a recipe for the fitting seizing up in your manifold.

Summit sells stainless steel heater hose fittings. I've used them and not had any issues. FWIW: I generously coat the threads with anti-seize prior to installation.

Jim
Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM
65 396
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
That EPay fitting makes me nervous. I can't tell if it's just highly polished aluminum or if it is aluminum which has been chromed. Either way, you'll be screwing aluminum into aluminum, which is a recipe for the fitting seizing up in your manifold.

Summit sells stainless steel heater hose fittings. I've used them and not had any issues. FWIW: I generously coat the threads with anti-seize prior to installation.

Jim
Zip Products has them and I believe they are correct and yes, you do need to coat them with anti-seize.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Michael H
Racer

Thanks for the inputs, I'm off to look at ZIP & Summit.

Love this forum. Always good guidance & support. One step closer...

here's progress

- this is a 71 010 2 bolt main block with a large journal 327 crank, 0.030 over 11:1's and a #140 solid lifter racing cam. Same engine that has been in the car since purchased in Bloomington in 1979, just freshened up. Car was originally 340HP. Can't wait to get it back int the frame & fired up. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks..
Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Michael H
Racer

One more question on this - when the shop drilled out the plug that is where the heater hose fitting will go, they ended up tapping it out and the brass plug shown in the prior picture fits pretty loose. They suggested I use RTV when installing the new fitting.

Can RTV and Anti-seize be used together?
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

On ALLLLLLLLLLLL my engine rebuilds, regardless of whether an alum or cast iron intake is used, I only use brass heater hose fittings. Weatherhead has both a fitting for 5/8 and 3/4 hose with 1/2in pipe threads.

No, you can't use anti seize and RTV together. My personal preference for fittings with pipe threads is the liquid Teflon by Permatex. It comes in a can with a brush in the lid.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Michael H
Racer

DZAUTO, I tried to find weatherhead parts, and they were acquired by Eaton in 2002, so looked at the Eaton web site, did not find anything that looked like what I was looking for. This is what I Was able to find online

Amazon Amazon

Is that what you are referring to? I will call Eaton / Weatherhead to see if there is a better match than this, but it would do the job.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael H
DZAUTO, I tried to find weatherhead parts, and they were acquired by Eaton in 2002, so looked at the Eaton web site, did not find anything that looked like what I was looking for. This is what I Was able to find online

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKLKPI/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Is that what you are referring to? I will call Eaton / Weatherhead to see if there is a better match than this, but it would do the job.
That is correct, Weatherhead is now owned by Eaton (hell, they own everything!!).
NAPA carries Weatherhead fittings. Sometimes they will have the fittings in stock which are needed, sometimes they will need to order them from their warehouse.
The brass fitting for 5/8in heater hose is: 05710B-108.
The brass fitting for 3/4in heater hose is: 05712B-108.
Both have 1/2in pipe thread.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Never sieze on aluminum.

Don't do it . It will corroded the aluminum even faster. Ask a trucker what happens when you put it on aluminum wheels. Dave
Originally Posted by DZAUTO
That is correct, Weatherhead is now owned by Eaton (hell, they own everything!!).
NAPA carries Weatherhead fittings. Sometimes they will have the fittings in stock which are needed, sometimes they will need to order them from their warehouse.
The brass fitting for 5/8in heater hose is: 05710B-108.
The brass fitting for 3/4in heater hose is: 05712B-108.
Both have 1/2in pipe thread.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Don't do it . It will corroded the aluminum even faster. Ask a trucker what happens when you put it on aluminum wheels. Dave
Would it be too much trouble for you to just go ahead and tell us?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I have used brass fittings in an aluminum radiator and manifold without issue.

I always use anti-seize on anything threading into aluminum…..never an issue in 50 years. However, there are different types of anti-seize compounds, perhaps this has been a problem for some. I used to use the $$$stuff that we used in the chemical plants. Now I just use the typical Permatex Anti-seize that most local auto stores sell.

Larry
Old 09-22-2014, 11:21 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave's talking about galvanic corrosion. Aluminum and brass are at opposite ends as dissimmilar metals. As a practical matter, it's only a problem in the presence of salt solution.

Literally billions of heat exchangers (including auto A/C condensers) have been made with copper tubes and aluminum fins, without falling immediately apart!

Harry
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
Dave's talking about galvanic corrosion. Aluminum and brass are at opposite ends as dissimmilar metals. As a practical matter, it's only a problem in the presence of salt solution.

Literally billions of heat exchangers (including auto A/C condensers) have been made with copper tubes and aluminum fins, without falling immediately apart!

Harry
Harry:

I'm familiar with galvanic corrosion and the galvanic series for the various metals. The corrosion inhibitors used in the anti-freeze coolant may also help explain why I haven't seen corrosion when installing the brass parts.

Larry
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I have not ordered any of the Weatherhead brass hose fittings for a long time. So I just called my local NAPA store and they told me that another NAPA store in Okla City has 18 of each, so I told him to get me 2 of each since I use them in all engine rebuilds. They are a quality, heavy brass part.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael H
When the shop drilled out the plug that is where the heater hose fitting will go, they ended up tapping it out and the brass plug shown in the prior picture fits pretty loose.

In this situation I always use Teflon thread tape. Probably about 10 turns. The tape will stay put where as the liquid thread sealers will squish out.

Get notified of new replies

To Water hose fitting for aluminum manifold

Quick Reply: Water hose fitting for aluminum manifold