C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advise on bonding body panels

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Advise on bonding body panels

i took the body off my 67 car, which had repair work to replace a "ducktail" and fender flares, so new rear section and rear quarters installed by a corvette restoration shop before I ever bought/saw the car.

In these pictures, i am looking up under the rear of the car , where the gas tank would normally be.

It looks like the main vertical panel (rear of the interior compartment) is not bonded to the top rear surface of the body (near where the gas filler cap is) - i have marked the unbonded seam with red arrows in the picture.

Also, the vertical panel behind the rear tire has broken free of the lower rear quarter. red arrows marking that seam in the other picture.

not sure if this tells me anything bad about the quality of the repair work that was done, but in any case, any suggestions how to repair/bond those seams? i was thinking of using some kind of epoxy to fill in the gap and bond. the body is painted now, so it is not possible to squeeze the unbonded joints together, but rather to try to fill in the slight gap with some kind of materal to hold it all together.

any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Old 09-21-2014, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

In the first photo...I do not see a crack or area where it is separated. I have seen adhesive look like that...rough and spiky looking.

In the second photo....the same thing.. If I had to do the splash shield...I would remove it and bond it back in.

You are ware that The Corvette Forum has a Paint and Body section. Under the GENERAL CORVETTE section.

DUB
Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Sorry - did not know that there was a separate body section for this

both seams are NOT bonded and the panels are loose and moving.

Get notified of new replies

To Advise on bonding body panels

Quick Reply: Advise on bonding body panels