C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this a belt or bearing squealing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
my7th
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a belt or bearing squealing?

With the engine cold and I turn on the air, the compresser kicks on their is a loud squeal. Tun it off no squeal. with the temp at 180 no squeal.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by my7th
With the engine cold and I turn on the air, the compresser kicks on their is a loud squeal. Tun it off no squeal. with the temp at 180 no squeal.
Remove the belt and turn it by hand
Old 09-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'll bet it a loose belt and it's old. Replace it and the other one or two, tighten accordingly. Dennis
Old 09-21-2014, 10:38 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

With the engine off and the ignition off, you should be able to spin the compressor by hand without removing the belt. Try spinning it and see how it feels. If you have difficulty spinning it or the bearing feels rough or gritty, it could be the bearing. Otherwise it is very likely a loose or slipping belt.

One reason that most modern cars have a spring loaded tensioner on the A/C belt is because of the initial load as the A/C kicks on. If the belt is old or glazed, it may not slip (and squeal) during normal start-up and running. However when the A/C kicks in, the load will be enough to cause the belt to slip and squeal. Tighten the belt or even change it to a new one and you'll likely cure the problem.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 09-21-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The quality of the belt can make a difference. When I installed Vintage Air A/C they had specific recommendations to use a reinforced belt for their compressor. And as above, make sure it is not loose...
Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

It's the belt, typical and common, especially if it's an older belt. Don't tighten it, replace it, run it for a while (to allow stretch), then re-tighten it. Air cond belts, ESPECIALLY on the early style long (A6) compressors, have to be real tight.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 PM
my7th
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
With the engine off and the ignition off, you should be able to spin the compressor by hand without removing the belt. Try spinning it and see how it feels. If you have difficulty spinning it or the bearing feels rough or gritty, it could be the bearing. Otherwise it is very likely a loose or slipping belt.

One reason that most modern cars have a spring loaded tensioner on the A/C belt is because of the initial load as the A/C kicks on. If the belt is old or glazed, it may not slip (and squeal) during normal start-up and running. However when the A/C kicks in, the load will be enough to cause the belt to slip and squeal. Tighten the belt or even change it to a new one and you'll likely cure the problem.

Good luck... GUSTO
I do have vintage air dont know how old the belt is . I've had the car 6yrs. guess its time for a new one, Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a belt or bearing squealing?

Quick Reply: Is this a belt or bearing squealing?