C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 Brakes question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1961 Brakes question.....

My '61 pulls to the right when hitting the brakes hard, or semi-hard. After searching the forum, I learned that one reason might be the adjuster on the left front brake might need adjusting. I tighten the adjuster so the drum wouldn't turn, then backed it off a bit. Went for a drive, and it still pulls. Jacked up the front and the front left wheel spun freely, without resistance, which is not how I adjusted it. So I am assuming the adjuster is bad and needs replacement. Is there anything else that I should look at? If I do need to replace the adjuster, do you have to remove the shoes to do so?

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

These brakes are not self adjusting - wherever you set it manually - it should stay. There is nothing to make it move other than wear on the brake shoes over MANY miles.

First off you shouldn't have just adjusted one wheel on an axle. If you adjust the left front - then do the right front in an identical fashion -- in fact...do all four corners...only takes a very few minutes. I adjust the brakes until I can't turn the tire with one hand -- then back off 8 'clicks'...done it that way 40+ years.

Lots of stuff to be looked at in this area. If you adjusted the brakes identically some other things to check are (and almost always the problem is OPPOSITE the side that the brakes pull towards). Rubber brake line to the wheel cylinder spongy/cracked/deteriorated, sticky/leaky wheel cylinder, cracked/glazed shoes, "slide points" for shoes on backing plates worn/not lubed, drums scored/cracked, and, rarely -- wear at the anchor pin at the top where both brake shoes meet.

Another one is incorrectly installed parts - but if the problem just started occurring recently that's a real long shot.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-22-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

I agree w/Frankie. Did you or someone else do the brake job? Were the drums turned at a machine shop? Adjust each side with the same number of clicks when you back them off. When ere the rubber brake lines last replaced? If nobody knows, it is probably due. Doesn't appear to be any leaky wheel cylinders, so no fluid on the shoes. As Frankie said, adjustment all the way around is a good idea whenever you replace brakes. Also, the W/C appear to be replacements. Are they the same diameter?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you give us a little more information? It looks like you have put on new shoes. Did you have the problem before you replaced the shoes? Are the drums new? Are wheel bearings adjusted properly? Post a picture of the face of the linings, front and rear left side and front and rear right side. The problem can be caused by a variety of factors. If the problem wasn't evident prior to doing your brakes then it is most likely something out of specification with the new components. If everything is correct it will stop straight and true.

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 Brakes question.....

Quick Reply: 1961 Brakes question.....