C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help building a C1 canyon blaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help building a C1 canyon blaster

Gentlemen, I have used the forum search option but would like to get some direct opinions. I have a few cars that really aren't drivable anymore due to becoming mileage sensitive so I've decided to build something that is a bit old school, looks awesome but isn't trying to kill me while I navigate some of the twisty roads up here in N Idaho. My goal is to take a non numbers matching 62 and make it into a blast to drive. I'm not a street racer but do enjoy "spirited" drives so the car need to handle well and stop straight. The HP and trans options are easy to figure but the suspension, steering and braking have me a bit twisted. I'm not into resto mods (prefer the old school "racer" look) and I really want to keep the steering wheel and interior looking period correct. I've been told this isn't possible with a R&P IS swap out? Also a good buddy has a 58, he dropped in a complete '76 (or '79) Pon Trans Am alum. rear end. I read that most here rebuild the original or go with a Ford 9 inch. He loves the rear end because it loses so much weight over stock, anyone else done this....opinions? I've attached a few pics of my buddies car as I'm trying to do something similar in looks but improve on the handling. He still runs the stock suspension, it is "fresh" and drives like it should but I'd like something a little more. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images    
Old 09-22-2014, 03:38 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Anyone who wants to drive like that needs to take it to the track.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Look into Jim Myers suspension kits. They bolt to a stock frame and you pick up r+p steering and disc brakes. Do a ford 9" in the back, leaf springs can be made to handle with the right springs,shocks and bar, just ask the vintage racers. Someone makes a smaller steering wheel that looks original, I'd go that route.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree. He was way over the center line. Driving fast has it's place.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:57 PM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Anyone who wants to drive like that needs to take it to the track.
Jim, that is a dead end cul de sac in a very rural part of a county road. One way in and that same way out. Even the police have use that section of road to test their cars. But thanks for the concern.

Get notified of new replies

To Help building a C1 canyon blaster

Quick Reply: Help building a C1 canyon blaster