C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:31 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 63 Brake light switch

For those of you who have replaced the brake light switch on a '63, you know what a bear it can be. You need to be a contortionist to get under the dash and try to install it. When you are 6'2" it makes it even harder.
I removed the seat and lay on my back looking up under the dash with my legs on the deck lid (convertible).
Here is my problem; the brake light switch is not lining up with the brake pedal arm. I've tried to adjust the housing it fits in with no luck.
Even when I do get it mounted, it doesn't touch the arm enough to activate it.
One of the most frustrating repairs I've dealt with. I haven't been able to drive the car in 3 weeks because of this.
Any suggestions you can provide are appreciated.
thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Isnt there a tab that mounts to the pedal?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If the car has power brakes there is a stamped steel flag that bolts to one of the two bolts on the brake pedal and the clevis for the rod bolts to the other hole. If the car is standard brakes the clevis goes into the other hole.

Make sure the clevis is in the correct hole.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
36couper
Pro

Originally Posted by tbarb
If the car has power brakes there is a stamped steel flag that bolts to one of the two bolts on the brake pedal and the clevis for the rod bolts to the other hole. If the car is standard brakes the clevis goes into the other hole.

Make sure the clevis is in the correct hole.
If there is a tab or Clevis, it's missing. I'm going back to the garage now to see if I can even see a hole. Standard brakes.
Thanks for the suggestions
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 PM
36couper
Pro

I see the hole in the brake arm. I'm looking through the Assembly Manual but the illustration doesn't show a "flag". Would someone have a picture of what the flag looks like?
I'll try to take a picture of my brake arm set up. Not sure how we'll it will turn out on my iPad
Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You will not have that bolt-on tab (flag) to activate the brake light switch on a non-power brake car. I completely rebuilt my clutch/brake ***'y on my '63 last spring and here are some pics if that helps. I didn't have any contact or alignment problems with the brake light switch.

My brake lights come on with very light pressure on the pedal (which is how I like them).

The brake light switch bracket was bent as shown when I pulled the unit and I left it that way as that is what it took to have the button hit the brake pedal shaft squarely. I think that's how it was from the factory as this car is unmolested.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-23-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM
36couper
Pro

Thanks for the photos! Clearly the bracket that holds my switch is seriously molested. Looks like I need to crawl under there again and see if I can straighten the bracket. If you don't hear from me for a while that will mean I'm stuck under the dash and can't get out.
I ordered this actuator bracket last night. Now I just need to figure out how to install it.

Last edited by 36couper; 09-23-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: photo
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

To my knowledge that bracket is for power brakes only...which is what I've been trying to tell you.
The power brake's master cylinder/booster arrangement is tilted rearward in the engine bay...so the brake push rod attaches to the LOWER hole on the pedal. To keep from moving the brake light switch...that 'fliz' adapter you bought is put in the UPPER hole to make the light work.

If you have standard (non-power) brakes your pushrod should be mounted in the UPPER hole. Note items 3,4, and, 5 in this '63 AIM photo of the power brake option (that is the bracket kit you bought) and also read the NOTE to the right of those items.

ALSO ! Look at the bottom of the first picture in my post above. There is a spring on the horizontal shaft above the vertical brake pedal that is required for NON-power brake cars to completely return the brake pedal to its topmost position. If that is missing it could prevent the brake light switch button from touching the brake pedal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM
36couper
Pro

That's the best picture yet for how this works.
I cancelled the order for the bracket. You saved me $6.50.
I have a '63 Corvette assembly manual but the illustrations in there are not as detailed as the one you posted above.
Yes, the push rod is mounted in the upper hole and it has the spring to return the pedal back to starting position.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Brake light switch

Quick Reply: 63 Brake light switch