C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bubba Reared his Ugly Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Bubba Reared his Ugly Head

Started to take the door panels off my 64 Coupe because the previous owner's painters installed the door lock cylinders on the wrong doors (key inserts upside down!!!).

So, removed the springs from both window cranks and then went for the interior door lock. The lock is on the spindle and there is no spring on the lock. Tried to pull it loose but it did not budge..

I assume that is epoxied on.

Any suggestions to removing the lock. The only method that I can think of is to drill out the center of the lock and use a wheel/bearing puller.

Thanks to all.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:52 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Did you remove this part?

DOOR LOCK RETAINER

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z50000050B~~~
Old 09-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Blue Ridge 67
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Did you remove this part?

DOOR LOCK RETAINER

The retainer secures the lock cylinder to the door. I read that the interior lock **** is glued to the splined shaft.Try hitting the **** with a hammer (gently) and see if you can break the glue joint with the shaft.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge 67
The retainer secures the lock cylinder to the door. I read that the interior lock **** is glued to the splined shaft.Try hitting the **** with a hammer (gently) and see if you can break the glue joint with the shaft.
You are correct. That's the problem I am having. Tried a rubber hammer but maybe I need more shock.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There was never any glue used. Just the same clips used on the window cranks. Not sure what books you are reading but you might want to find better ones
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
There was never any glue used. Just the same clips used on the window cranks. Not sure what books you are reading but you might want to find better ones
My understanding was that bubba used glue instead of the clip.

-- Steve
Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RatDog

-- Steve
Correct

Last edited by Classic-Chevy-Guy; 09-27-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog

-- Steve
Apply Heat
Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM
troutster71
Racer

Location: Albuquerque Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Apply Heat

Hair dryer may work. Heat gun will. Be careful of the door panel.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:13 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge 67
My fault....misread the whole thing...

Anyway...I would try some vise grips and wiggle and pull the "S" out of it...
If you hit it on it too much or too hard you 'might' break the fiberglass where is mounts to door skin/panel...
Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If I have to sacrifice the ****, should I just drill around the outside of the center, and then dremel the rest of the **** off the shaft? This would allow me to get the door panel off.

Does the **** connect to the piece they call the Lock Rod? In case of some really strong glue, might have to replace the Rod as well as the ****.

Heat and a real pounding scare me a bit at doing more damage than spending a few bucks on repro parts.

Thoughts on this approach would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM
66jack
Team Owner

It attaches to this...

I would cut across the finger grip portion and try and split it...by wedging in a flat tip screw driver...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you considered living with them the way they are? alternatively, do you have a good clear view of the back of the cylinders? lighting, mirrors may be required.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Have you considered living with them the way they are? alternatively, do you have a good clear view of the back of the cylinders? lighting, mirrors may be required.
I have thought about it, but here is the issue.

It is a Top Flight car and after it was judged, the passenger lock cylinder stopped working with the key. I tried some graphite, but it did not work.

Thought that the cylinder being upside down, could have caused it, so the plan is to pull the door panels, examine the cylinder, and swap them once the passenger cylinder was corrected.

The bad news, that if epoxy or similar glue was used on the passenger side, the same thing may await me on the driver's side.

All for the sake of a missing clip!!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I have thought about it, but here is the issue.

It is a Top Flight car and after it was judged, the passenger lock cylinder stopped working with the key. I tried some graphite, but it did not work.

Thought that the cylinder being upside down, could have caused it, so the plan is to pull the door panels, examine the cylinder, and swap them once the passenger cylinder was corrected.

The bad news, that if epoxy or similar glue was used on the passenger side, the same thing may await me on the driver's side.

All for the sake of a missing clip!!!!
Bubba probably didn't have the clip so he glued it figuring it would never be an issue for him and just kicked the can down the road for the next guy.

I like the vice grip idea. Grab the **** and work it back and forth in all directions to see if you can break it loose. If that doesn't work, bring on the drill and destroy the **** down to the shaft to get the panel off.

-- Steve
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Blue Ridge 67
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a tool called a "Nut Buster" that loops over nuts and then a threaded shaft drives a wedge to split nuts. This **** is a die cast part and should split easily. The tools are sold on E-Bay ~~ $10
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Those interior lock ***** are notorious for falling off if you slam the door closed if the "U" shaped clip is a little weak. I'm betting some clown decided to do a quickee fix. If that grooved part of the shaft got worn and the lock **** was loosey-goosey.....then again it might have gotten glued on to make it work

The vice grips are one approach but I might also try using the wife's thin cutting plastic board or a plastic bondo spreader or some other wide flat object and lay it on the door vinyl and using a brake adjustment spoon or something similar just pushing against the plastic temporary shield lever the snot out of the **** until it either cracked apart of came jumping off.

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba Reared his Ugly Head

Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Carefully tried a Wonder Bar and did not have any luck. Think part of the issue that any leverage tool only acts on one side of the shaft, so it almost works against itself.

Leading a caravan for Vettes to Vets in Bedford, MA today. Expect over 400 cars and donations to go to the Veterans Hospital.

Hopefully, will get a chance either the evening or tomorrow to try your suggestions.

Thanks for the advice and will keep you informed.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is no reason why you couldn't use two levers (one on each side) and get medieval on the thing..

I will make one final suggestion that you look REALLY hard behind that lock with a flashlight and pushing the door vinyl as far back a possible and make VERY sure there is no U clip on the lock shaft. They can be hard as the dickens to spot...

If somebody put the lock clip on from the bottom you'll barely see the two little wire-like tips showing from the top.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,048 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would look real hard, the 63 - 64 are very hard to see. If you see it is there you can wrap a thin rag all around the shaft and pull it back and forth it gets those hard to get clips.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is no reason why you couldn't use two levers (one on each side) and get medieval on the thing..

I will make one final suggestion that you look REALLY hard behind that lock with a flashlight and pushing the door vinyl as far back a possible and make VERY sure there is no U clip on the lock shaft. They can be hard as the dickens to spot...

If somebody put the lock clip on from the bottom you'll barely see the two little wire-like tips showing from the top.

Quick Reply: Bubba Reared his Ugly Head