C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Where did you get all the spider bites? BTW, rather the woodland spiders in Nam than the bamboo vipers!
I have to agree funny I was watching James Bond Dr. No Looks like he didn't like spiders either killed that spider several times with his shoe. He cant beat Sean Connery as James Bond
Old 09-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hi Frankie

I think because I was on a two lane road with a cut off switch it saved any further damage to my electrical system (hence no fire). I recommend a cut off switch to anyone they are cheap good insurance!!!

Yeah I have a good one! She a trooper. I was dying. It gets HOT in and all black car. I'm thinking maybe AC unit for my car. I talked to Mike Colleta a couple weeks ago. I made a new list of things I want him to do. I'm tired of this car breaking down all the time...This time wasn't the car fault. Human error.

When I got my split window and really got into it I found it was so original right down to the correct brake wheel cylinders I was loathe to do anything to it. But I bit the bullet and put Vintage Air A/C in it and don't regret it.

There is nothing that can't be undone with a little work and having a coupe in Florida summers without A/C is asking for heat stroke or else you just park it 4 months out of the year. I say do it
Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
When I got my split window and really got into it I found it was so original right down to the correct brake wheel cylinders I was loathe to do anything to it. But I bit the bullet and put Vintage Air A/C in it and don't regret it.

There is nothing that can't be undone with a little work and having a coupe in Florida summers without A/C is asking for heat stroke or else you just park it 4 months out of the year. I say do it
Hi Frankie

I think I'm going to have Mike Colleta do it.. He likes his AC I think I will have him replace rubber windshield replace the eyebrow dash pads and get center dash new moldings for car. the windshield wipers don't work...funny they worked 10 years ago.. might as well get that fixed yeah laundry list keep growing. I think my tach having the same probable as yours every gear gets up to 3k to jumps to 4.5k..I might as well get that send out to lars.. Yeah its never boring. I just want to be able to drive it more than a few miles from the house without worrying about it breaking down!!!..

I might need your help...If you are interested!

Pete
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default pictures say 1000 words...God..

Hello as promised pictures..

This was one of my better idea I know its looks kinds silly but this really helped with wet vacuum to air dry carpet out I didn't want it to start to mold. I left fan on all night part of the day.. Only leaked on the passenger side..Im surprised with how crappy the convertible top was put on...

Yeah nothing a paper clamp and Jagermeister key chain holder cant fix

On to the damage I was pleasantly surprised the damaged is with coil and igniter I is toast, .. wiring some with the positive pink lead but not much. Everything looks pretty good so feeling a little better..

Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I will have him replace rubber windshield
Pete
Yeah, I'd get rid of that rubber windshield, too. Most of us on the Forum are partial to the glass ones.

Seriously, though, sounds like a rough day. Glad it wasn't worse. Makes me glad I just put in a cutoff switch.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SI67
Yeah, I'd get rid of that rubber windshield, too. Most of us on the Forum are partial to the glass ones.

Seriously, though, sounds like a rough day. Glad it wasn't worse. Makes me glad I just put in a cutoff switch.
I am convinced that cut off switch saved my vette from going up in flames..
Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

You may want to do something like this to prevent it from happening again. If you bring the car over to Mike he could easily do it, or you may be able to do this yourself.

I don't have a writeup for the midyears but the Ignition wire from the Ign switch could be easily modified to add a fuse like I show on the earlier cars.

1956 to 1962 Corvette Ignition Fuse

edit.....Also here is a document that DZVette created from more info and other threads here...

Last edited by rich5962; 09-28-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

I am convinced that cut off switch saved my vette from going up in flames..
Where is your cut off switch?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Hagerty?

On another Forum I visit (the H.A.M.B. - traditional hot rods), I just saw a recent thread on how badly Hagerty handled a similiar situation. A horror story a lot like this one. It seems that since these insurance conpanies contract out their towing services, there is always a chance of getting a bad apple no matter who you are witth.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Let's see now. A doctor girlfriend who will deliver you a drink, in the steamy Florida heat, in a storm, when you're broke down alongside the road and give you drugs later on when you're feeling badly. Trying hard to feel sorry for you - not working out for me...

I have AAA, been towed twice with my classics and both time were rollbacks with VERY concerned drivers who took extra time to be careful. I think they both took the long way back so everybody could see what they were hauling!

A bad point on C1/C2 ignition shielding top cover is that rear lower edge. On all my cars one of the first things I do is get some of that clear door edge protector plastic from Autozone or the like and squeeze (glue) it along the bottom rear edge of that piece so it can't cut any ignition wires.

This episode is a good object lesson though for having a battery cut-off switch, doing your own work.
Frankie,
Using that door edge protector on the rear bottom edge of the shielding is a great idea. I'm off to the store this morning. Rich
Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Bad day

Hey Pete: I live up the road in Tampa. You could have not asked for a worse day to be stranded. The rain would not quit. As for towing, see if Stepps Towing is available in Sarasota. I use them for my company cars. I think they are statewide. They have towed my Chevelle and my son's C-5. No problems. The drivers are usually car guys and take extra precaution in towing nice cars. I am glad you are putting A/C in the car. I can hang meat in my black/black 66 coupe. I put in Vintage Air a few years ago. After seeing Mike's work, I am sure he will do an outstanding job installing the A/C. You could do it yourself. Download the instructions from the V/A website and see for yourself. I would give it a few days to allow you to cool down. Lastly, since you have to replace the ignition harness, consider adding a fusible link. It is easy to do with the harness on a workbench. Jerry
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Where is your cut off switch?
Battery cut-off switches should always go on the negative battery terminal.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as towing I have a close friend who has a towing service and relatives who own a Ford dealership with a tow service so I have their numbers in my phone.

Speaking of cutoff switches, I saw a picture of a c1 that had a keyed cutoff switch mounted in the floorboard, passenger side next to where the passengers left foot would be but up kind of high and out of the way. Anyone here every done that before? It was one of those heavy duty types for race cars with the removable orange/red key.

/Tracy
Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Sorry man! Last summer, the exact thing happen me... My insurance did not cover it since the shop caused the problem. The insurance did cover the towing cost back to the shop. The shop was going to check my work (timing, adjust the carb and lashing) after I rebuilt the engine. The shop mechanic put the ignition shield on way too tight and was not careful with the wires. There is a burn mark on my ignition shield where it pinched through the wires. I never even got to open the hood before checking the shops work. Took the keys drove off and within 4 miles (about 2 miles from my house) poof! The towing company towed my car back to his shop. This happened in the beginning of July. Last week, I got the car back. Maybe I should have had the car towed to my house then ordered the harness myself. I just felt that I did not cause the problem so therefore the shop should take care of me. It was running fine when I took it into the shop. The harness was a new reproduction harness. All that I was going to do was to get the car tuned up after I had done all of the engine work (lashing, carb and timing). I still like going to the shop since it is local.

Not much notice other than the radio cutting out and no power then the smoke... my first response was to get off the road and pull the battery cables. Now, I am taking extra precautions so it will not happen again.

The orange wire was installed by the shop for the choke. It was not on the car when I took it to the shop. See where it burned too many wires in that area. Now, I am going through the procedure adding plastic so the shielding will no longer touch the wires.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 09-29-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have to agree funny I was watching James Bond Dr. No Looks like he didn't like spiders either killed that spider several times with his shoe. He cant beat Sean Connery as James Bond
I always liked the cheap affects when the spider was moving across him.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Battery cut-off switches should always go on the negative battery terminal.
I have the knife cut-off style on my corvette and couple of other cars, and I have one car with the silly twist thing cut off. If I had a fire in my benz, with the battery buried in the trunk, no way I would get at that battery and get it disconnected before the car went up.

My concern is on the corvette. It is one thing to reach around under the fender and grope for a blade when there isn't a fire, but to jump out, pop the hood, reach around, through smoke... and maybe fire..... and popping the hood will certainly induce oxygen...

Just wondering if his switch was outside the engine compartment and who else might have one outside the engine bay.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

There was not that much smoke/fire when I went for the battery cables. Just heat off of the manifold is all.

Get notified of new replies

To I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
I have the knife cut-off style on my corvette and couple of other cars, and I have one car with the silly twist thing cut off. If I had a fire in my benz, with the battery buried in the trunk, no way I would get at that battery and get it disconnected before the car went up.

My concern is on the corvette. It is one thing to reach around under the fender and grope for a blade when there isn't a fire, but to jump out, pop the hood, reach around, through smoke... and maybe fire..... and popping the hood will certainly induce oxygen...

Just wondering if his switch was outside the engine compartment and who else might have one outside the engine bay.
When you get a few minutes read my hood latch related fire story here in Post#5...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-t-open.html
Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default American Car Collector Insurance SCREWED ME!!

Hello
My insurance company told me I have no coverage on this "electrical failure" Gee Thanks first time in 11 years. I never had one claim and my insurance wont cover this...WTF good is this insurance company. I'm ready to jump ship and get someone who does cover these "electrical failures"..

I need suggestions PLEASE..

thanks
Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

That totally sucks! If it were me, I'd be heading over to that corvette "expert" and tell him he needs to take care of your losses since he's at fault. I'd be as diplomatic as possible, being sure to give him the WHOLE story of the fiasco you went through that day, AND the fact that you even tried to get your insurance company involved. If he's a reasonable/honorable man he should handle it for you without hesitation. If, on the other hand, he will not then I would tell him under no uncertain terms that you'll be in touch with the bureau of automotive repair and he can expect a small claims court summons in the near future.

Quick Reply: I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..