C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
That totally sucks! If it were me, I'd be heading over to that corvette "expert" and tell him he needs to take care of your losses since he's at fault. I'd be as diplomatic as possible, being sure to give him the WHOLE story of the fiasco you went through that day, AND the fact that you even tried to get your insurance company involved. If he's a reasonable/honorable man he should handle it for you without hesitation. If, on the other hand, he will not then I would tell him under no uncertain terms that you'll be in touch with the bureau of automotive repair and he can expect a small claims court summons in the near future.
I'm going to talk to him tomorrow thanks for the advice.

Pete
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Screwing keeps on coming

Hello

well, the insurance company (American car Collector Insurance) told me due to "electrical failure" this isn't covered on my wonderful insurance plan.. Well since the appraisal only came in at $250.00 I guess its about what I expected from my insurance...Good thing it my vette didn't burn to the ground. A.C.C.I. probably would not pay out the claim.

So I went to the "corvette expert" who got me into this "mess" I already shelled out close to a grand to buy new dash harness and engine harness plus coil, etc.. I need some money from him to fix my car. He told me he is going through a divorce wife trying to take everything and he says the doors are barely open blah blah (How is this my problem??). But he be willing to work on my car for free...Jesus lord why would I bring it back to him WTF? Why would I bring it back to the guy who messed it up???? Really????? No thanks. I better to go at it alone. I will get some items fixed and rewire it myself. I rewired the whole car in 2009 work great before the "expert" got ahold of it.. It just keeps getting better and better I keep on smiling.....:b anghead:
Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Geez, what an a-hole, probably why the wife's getting a divorce.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:26 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Sorry to hear about that. Geez, what an a-hole, probably why the wife's getting a divorce.
Yeah always amazes me that they people who charge 100 bucks and hour never have any money But, will to fix it for FREE???

She will rise from the ashes....for sure
Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello

well, the insurance company (American car Collector Insurance) told me due to "electrical failure" this isn't covered on my wonderful insurance plan.. Well since the appraisal only came in at $250.00 I guess its about what I expected from my insurance...Good thing it my vette didn't burn to the ground. A.C.C.I. probably would not pay out the claim.

So I went to the "corvette expert" who got me into this "mess" I already shelled out close to a grand to buy new dash harness and engine harness plus coil, etc.. I need some money from him to fix my car. He told me he is going through a divorce wife trying to take everything and he says the doors are barely open blah blah (How is this my problem??). But he be willing to work on my car for free...Jesus lord why would I bring it back to him WTF? Why would I bring it back to the guy who messed it up???? Really????? No thanks. I better to go at it alone. I will get some items fixed and rewire it myself. I rewired the whole car in 2009 work great before the "expert" got ahold of it.. It just keeps getting better and better I keep on smiling.....:b anghead:
am surprised that your car insurance didnt pick this up-think i would find a new carrier= anyone run into this before with an insurance company and what company would someone recommend that would cover it. Insurance comps are quick to take your money, and then try not to pay claims in a lot of cases
Old 10-11-2014, 11:37 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I have collectors also in New jersey. Have to check that out.
I rewired my first 63 dash harness and engine harness. This is after the car was done . Installed the fuse holder the whole bit worked out fine ,plus you know its right if you do it.
Pull the cluster how do you know the dash harness is bad. Take your time get all the diagrams from of the forum . Everything will work better anyway.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Hello
My insurance company told me I have no coverage on this "electrical failure" Gee Thanks first time in 11 years. I never had one claim and my insurance wont cover this...WTF good is this insurance company. I'm ready to jump ship and get someone who does cover these "electrical failures"..

I need suggestions PLEASE..

thanks
Well, it could be that you haven't hit enough to be covered. My '68 has a $0.00 deductible on American Collectors but if you checked off one of the deductibles, then you simply may not have exceeded that.

To you, the harness looks destroyed. But to them, it shorted out, and didn't run. It didn't burn. It didn't wipe out the harness. From the pictures you posted, it looks like a couple of wires are melted.

Is that really a $300 harness replacement? To a show car, yes. But maybe you haven't shown that to them.

There is a reason you went with ACI instead of Hagerty, and they are cheaper. A lot cheaper. Hagerty has loosened up the "collector" part so that most are simply old cars being driven however. But ACI keeps you still in the limited driving, being a collector, and keeps the rates lower. It isn't a second vehicle to do whatever end. As they explained to me on the last renewal, they have a "driver" policy so you can do things like drive to work, run around for errands, and stuff. It also cost more.

I'd sue the mechanic in small claims. Be sure not only to include the amount of parts, but list labor at a standard labor rate. You may win it all, but if not, you may hit arbitration which they like to do in Florida, and you only get a percentage. If so, then the additional labor amount would keep it high enough to get most if not all of your parts costs covered.

And I would NOT drive anywhere with that stupid tin lid over the exposed ignition wiring. Put it in back, and pop it on for a show, if you must.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Wiring harness explanation

Hello

I hooked car up today gauges seem to be ok clock that was converted to quartz is not working correctly. Radio is ok. I first thought it was just the engine wiring harness. I looked at the lead (pink) wire from dash harness is melted. Not to bare wires but definitely got hot. I'm the type of person who will not take any chances on this. If it melted that wire. Who knows what else is effected?? I will have all the gauges looked over and clock too. Check the started alternator and relays. As for as Amercian Car Collectors concern I have been with them since 2004. I think I have given enough of my money to them. Time to find a insurance company that will step up to the plate and take care of me.

I talked to the insurance representative that told me I don't have coverage for "electrical failure." I told him its time to find another insurance company that does. He told me that NO INSURANCE COMPANY will cover electrical failure. Encouraged me to think about it before leaving my insurance company. This quote from the insurance company for $250.00 more likely going to be closer to $2,500.00. Already have close to a grand in parts now. Plus expecting to at least have other things rebuilt or replaced before its all over...Guarantee!!!

Yeah I'm going to go at this alone. Part of life. It just sucks that's all.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:03 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Hello

I hooked car up today gauges seem to be ok clock that was converted to quartz is not working correctly. Radio is ok. I first thought it was just the engine wiring harness. I looked at the lead (pink) wire from dash harness is melted. Not to bare wires but definitely got hot. I'm the type of person who will not take any chances on this. If it melted that wire. Who knows what else is effected?? I will have all the gauges looked over and clock too. Check the started alternator and relays. As for as Amercian Car Collectors concern I have been with them since 2004. I think I have given enough of my money to them. Time to find a insurance company that will step up to the plate and take care of me.

I talked to the insurance representative that told me I don't have coverage for "electrical failure." I told him its time to find another insurance company that does. He told me that NO INSURANCE COMPANY will cover electrical failure. Encouraged me to think about it before leaving my insurance company. This quote from the insurance company for $250.00 more likely going to be closer to $2,500.00. Already have close to a grand in parts now. Plus expecting to at least have other things rebuilt or replaced before its all over...Guarantee!!!

Yeah I'm going to go at this alone. Part of life. It just sucks that's all.
Look at the wiring diagram the pink wire goes to the ignition ,and to the starter and engine compartment. I don't think the harness on the dash should be affected ,look closely at the rest of the harness inside and save yourself some time and money . I installed them and trouble shot them for a long time. Get the dash working and reset the clock ,
check all fuses ,and motors fans . Replace what clearly melted .The pink going to the ignition ,and under hood stuff .
Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Hello

well, the insurance company (American car Collector Insurance) told me due to "electrical failure" this isn't covered on my wonderful insurance plan. Good thing it my vette didn't burn to the ground. A.C.C.I. probably would not pay out the claim.
Actually, if you had had a FIRE (real, with flames) as a result of the electrical failure, the comprehensive fire & theft portion of the insurance would have covered the damage. A melted harness doesn't qualify as a "fire".
Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Actually, if you had had a FIRE (real, with flames) as a result of the electrical failure, the comprehensive fire & theft portion of the insurance would have covered the damage. A melted harness doesn't qualify as a "fire".
John

Next time I will get a gallon of gas and a lighter...get rid of the fire extinguisher I have in the vette...
Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracy64
As far as towing I have a close friend who has a towing service and relatives who own a Ford dealership with a tow service so I have their numbers in my phone.

Speaking of cutoff switches, I saw a picture of a c1 that had a keyed cutoff switch mounted in the floorboard, passenger side next to where the passengers left foot would be but up kind of high and out of the way. Anyone here every done that before? It was one of those heavy duty types for race cars with the removable orange/red key.

/Tracy
Here's mine. .. Immediate current cut off if necessary and/or when car is stored overnight or longer.

The main reason for doing it this way was not to have to pop the hood each and every time to engage/disengage the turn key on the cut off switch.

As mentioned a fusible link or fuse should be installed into the wiring circuit. Mine is a made up wire lead with a 30 amp fuse connected onto the large middle terminal wire that goes to the solenoid. The fuse saved the day when a wire shorted out during a Pertronix 3 installation.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:00 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Wow remote control someone might Patton that one. Look at first picture your cable has already rubbed thru to the red wire on right .
Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrg
Here's mine. .. Immediate current cut off if necessary and/or when car is stored overnight or longer.

The main reason for doing it this way was not to have to pop the hood each and every time to engage/disengage the turn key on the cut off switch.

As mentioned a fusible link or fuse should be installed into the wiring circuit. Mine is a made up wire lead with a 30 amp fuse connected onto the large middle terminal wire that goes to the solenoid. The fuse saved the day when a wire shorted out during a Pertronix 3 installation.
Wow you took electrical fire to a new level. I have never seen anything like this before..
Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
am surprised that your car insurance didnt pick this up-think i would find a new carrier= anyone run into this before with an insurance company and what company would someone recommend that would cover it. Insurance comps are quick to take your money, and then try not to pay claims in a lot of cases
I am not... Mine did not with the same thing. The shop did install a new engine harness.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Wow remote control someone might Patton that one. Look at first picture your cable has already rubbed thru to the red wire on right .
Yeah, but he'll be able to kill the power before the fire starts.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
It looks as if the cable might have been rubbing up against the wiring harness exposing the red wire. The pic view is foreshortened, in a sense. There's actually better than an inch clearance between the cable and wiring harness.

Get notified of new replies

To I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Old 10-17-2014, 08:54 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrg
It looks as if the cable might have been rubbing up against the wiring harness exposing the red wire. The pic view is foreshortened, in a sense. There's actually better than an inch clearance between the cable and wiring harness.
yea the cable moves with the amount of stress applied .
Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

mrg, looking at the first pic I can see the handle will turn when you pull the **** toward you. But it appears the cable would just flex - is it really stiff enough to allow you to restore it by pushing the ****, without having to pop the hood? I'm guessing "yes, it works" but the pic makes me ask.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:23 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Railroadman
mrg, looking at the first pic I can see the handle will turn when you pull the **** toward you. But it appears the cable would just flex - is it really stiff enough to allow you to restore it by pushing the ****, without having to pop the hood? I'm guessing "yes, it works" but the pic makes me ask.
All they would really have to do is tape the harness with rubber tape
that would take years to rub thru. Patent needed to refine the effect
going to Shark tank.

Quick Reply: I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..