C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Hello
I have become a victim of the dreaded electrical fire with the with ignition shielding shorting out my electrical system.

Yes I seen all the threads and should have known better. I had a corvette "expert" put the shielding and coil back on this car. I didn't go over the work that was done. Apparently, the coil is way to high on the coil bracket. I was cruising along all a sudden "boom" lost all power to the car smoke started coming out of hood (no fire thank god).. pulled it over and immediately disconnected the battery to avoid anymore damage. I think its all in the engine harness and looks to be fried where the pink wire goes to the positive post of coil. I didn't see any other damage but wasn't in the mood taking it apart today.

I would say that's the end of it....but its not. I pulled over on Honore only less than a mile to go to my house. I called AAA at 1pm. I was hot and hotter standing outside. I was told he be there in and hour. I tried to make the lady at AAA understand this was a 1963 Corvette and not a 1978 Ford Fairmount. She understood and I waited and hour and a half sweating my *** off. The guy comes looks at the car and says he cant tow the car without scratching the paint and bumpers underneath. He wanted me to sign a document stating the towing company would NOT be responsible for any damage to the car while be loaded and towed to my house less than a miles away.

I looked at the guy as if he was crazy and I said it would be a cold day in HELL before I would ever sign off on that. I said some other words too hot tired and thirsty. I thought we were going to go a few around with the way we were exchanging words. Time to call girlfriend she came to where I was with a drink. I waited another hour and a half as AAA was looking for someone to tow this car. Meanwhile a nice tropical storm is coming through raining hard on top of my car the seal around front windshield is old and water started to stream into my beautiful interior I think there were times I zoned out as I called AAA and wanted to know where this tow truck was???? She said be another 120 minutes (then told me they had nobody to pick my car up for me). I lost it ...Laid into her hard unfortunately she was talking to the wrong guy at the wrong time. Cancelled the AAA tow called up local tow guy he came in half hour loaded the car and help put it in my garage...But wait there is more.

I had ant bites on my angles and four spider bites on my should and back. I started feeling a little "woozy". I called up girlfriend and said I'm not feeling good and need some meds now...She shot me up and hydrated me (she a doctor). I'm better now!

The guy who did the work says he will fix it...I'm not so sure he the right one to fix it....Coil and shroud thing is not that uncommon and him being and expert should have know better?

I thinking about calling insurance and seeing what they will do if anything at all?

Any suggestion??

I don't feel like taking the shroud off tonight I'm going to continue clean the carpet that soaked with water. I will take pictures tomorrow.. Yeah fun never ends...

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 09-27-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:53 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

OUCH!

Feel for you. What a combination to drive you nuts!

I don't know who you are insured with, but if it is Hagerty, my experience is they will work with you. First off, I wouldn't touch anything until your insurance adjuster comes out and reviews the damage. If he's worth his salt and is truly objective, he will determine the source of the problem (you pointed that out). Let him do his write-up and recommendation. Also, save any bills you incurred in your tow.

Again, give your insurance the benefit of truly helping you out here.

Sorry for your troubles. Just be thankful you didn't burn her up.

My similar short story had a favorable outcome. Shop replaced dash harness, all the bulbs, the radio as well as the engine harness, parts and labor (over $4,000). You might end up a lot less as it sounds like just the engine harness. Still, let the adjuster do his analysis (encouraging him to check under the dash.

Good luck!

Keep us posted on this outcome.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Man, that's one baaaad damn day alright. I know that if were me I'd be calling my AAA rep first thing Monday morning. Talk about adding insult to injury!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:07 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

now you know why all that ignition shielding was tossed in the trash, sorry for your troubles. AAA is BS now you know why, The obviously pay the towing providers less than the market value to tow you and as such have difficulty finding them when you need one.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
now you know why all that ignition shielding was tossed in the trash, sorry for your troubles. AAA is BS now you know why, The obviously pay the towing providers less than the market value to tow you and as such have difficulty finding them when you need one.

They look pretty, and they really look nice, but I took mine off my '68 in 1977 and have only thought of putting it on for a few shows recently. Then I thought the better of it.

Not only do they have the potential for an electrical short, and possible wiring fire, but they make the coil and points run hotter, shortening the lives of them. The distributor is filled with ozone from the points and rotor arcing, and that leads to point life being reduced. My rotor caps were always ventilated to keep this flushed out as much as possible. Putting a tin box around it all doesn't help.

You can slip one on at a show in 30 seconds. Slip it back off and drive home.

Or you can deal with AAA again.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

If you have Hagerty call them right away. They just may make your day. Also they offer a flatbed towing rider for about $15.00 a year.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. I got towed for the first time a couple years ago and I sweated the experience out also. My collector insurance contacted a roll-back operator that was about 30 miles away. Since I was only a couple miles from home I had my wife bring me some old towels and masking tape and in anticipation they would use hooks on the A-arms to load the car, I wrapped them with towels and tape. Sure enough that was the plan for loading so that worked OK. Then when it was on the truck we discussed how to anchor down the rear. He went to his tool box and came back with some small "T" anchors that fit perfectly into the factory anchor points in the cross member behind the seats. He was a real good guy and appreciated cars. I gave him a tip when I got home but all he really wanted was for me to raise the hood and let him view the engine.

After that I got a small box and made my own emergency road side kit to carry in the car with plastic tarp, tape, old towels, tire sealer, a heavy tow strap, wire, duct tape - anything and everytihing I thought I might need. Hopefully, I never need it again.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

An excellent illustration of why it is a good idea to have a short list of towing companies that can get the job done and that you trust. I say a short list because even the best folks are not always available and we all know that these classics often pick the most inconvenient times to break down.

I have two individuals I use and know I can depend on any time I need them. The best way to ensure it stays that way is to pay (tip?) them well. After all we're not talking about a '78 Ford Fairmont here...

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

for my insurance I can call any towing company I want too. then I just turn the bill into the insurance company and the cut me a check.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Wow sorry to hear that I have broken down Three times in 17 years ,
1st time going for a long drive in country ,screw loose inside cap ,had jumper wire
went from plus to battery to coil, got it home .
Second time driving with wife it died she had paper clip on check book took ignition
apart jumped it got it running got it home.

Third time same problem different midyear bad ignition switch worn out ignition switch.

plus a couple times thru the years knock offs came loose ,jack up vehicle and tighten back .
Well I have been lucky .lesson learned .

I have RV now with good Sams they say if I break down 100 miles free from home they will send a roll back to get us .
I can even be riding in friends corvette and they will pay to come and get you.
Just like you did I have the corvette Mechanic install wheels when they worked on car. Bad idea

Its better to do things yourself you know its safe and right.
its sounds bad but bet all you need is engine harness and clean up inside the corvette
will be ready to roll. Keep us posted .Good luck

Last edited by rtruman; 09-28-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Let's see now. A doctor girlfriend who will deliver you a drink, in the steamy Florida heat, in a storm, when you're broke down alongside the road and give you drugs later on when you're feeling badly. Trying hard to feel sorry for you - not working out for me...

I have AAA, been towed twice with my classics and both time were rollbacks with VERY concerned drivers who took extra time to be careful. I think they both took the long way back so everybody could see what they were hauling!

A bad point on C1/C2 ignition shielding top cover is that rear lower edge. On all my cars one of the first things I do is get some of that clear door edge protector plastic from Autozone or the like and squeeze (glue) it along the bottom rear edge of that piece so it can't cut any ignition wires.

This episode is a good object lesson though for having a battery cut-off switch, doing your own work.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I needed a tow once. Hagerty had a rollback there w/n the hour. He was just as concerned as me. I keep his card in the car at all times.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 AM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

All that misery and less then one mile from home ?? Could have pulled it home with a rope.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Let's see now. A doctor girlfriend who will deliver you a drink, in the steamy Florida heat, in a storm, when you're broke down alongside the road and give you drugs later on when you're feeling badly. Trying hard to feel sorry for you - not working out for me...

I have AAA, been towed twice with my classics and both time were rollbacks with VERY concerned drivers who took extra time to be careful. I think they both took the long way back so everybody could see what they were hauling!

A bad point on C1/C2 ignition shielding top cover is that rear lower edge. On all my cars one of the first things I do is get some of that clear door edge protector plastic from Autozone or the like and squeeze (glue) it along the bottom rear edge of that piece so it can't cut any ignition wires.

This episode is a good object lesson though for having a battery cut-off switch, doing your own work.
Hi Frankie

I think because I was on a two lane road with a cut off switch it saved any further damage to my electrical system (hence no fire). I recommend a cut off switch to anyone they are cheap good insurance!!!

Yeah I have a good one! She a trooper. I was dying. It gets HOT in and all black car. I'm thinking maybe AC unit for my car. I talked to Mike Colleta a couple weeks ago. I made a new list of things I want him to do. I'm tired of this car breaking down all the time...This time wasn't the car fault. Human error.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Tell your GF she need to play fast and loose with the script pad until this is over.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about all of that Pete. Hope there was no permanent damage.

Don
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Tell your GF she need to play fast and loose with the script pad until this is over.
I call her Dr. Feel Good

Get notified of new replies

To I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Wow, sorry to hear about all of that Pete. Hope there was no permanent damage.

Don
Hi Don

Doesn't look too bad I will upload pics today. I got lucky with this one.

thks Don

I think the spider bites was the worse I hate spiders. I must get that from my dad is very sensitive to spiders. Being in Vietnam all the woodland spiders came out of the jungle thousands of them crawling all over the fire base on everything after the rain. My dad used a shovel as a spider repellant. you see him kill a spider today he treats it like a poisonous snake killing it one time is not enough.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:57 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hi Don

Doesn't look too bad I will upload pics today. I got lucky with this one.

thks Don

I think the spider bites was the worse I hate spiders. I must get that from my dad is very sensitive to spiders. Being in Vietnam all the woodland spiders came out of the jungle thousands of them crawling all over the fire base on everything after the rain. My dad used a shovel as a spider repellant. you see him kill a spider today he treats it like a poisonous snake killing it one time is not enough.
Where did you get all the spider bites? BTW, rather the woodland spiders in Nam than the bamboo vipers!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:03 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Bummer

You could have called Sebring Bill, he lives right in that area and could have brought some cold brew and a tow rope with him!

Black car- I got one at a very good price, it will be my first and last!

Ignition shielding-Looks nice, but a royal PITA to do any engine work, very rough on old thin skin (helps if car is red), plus it can catch your car on fire. My shielding was last seen circa 1968 in a ditch in Jacksonville AL after causing an ignition fire.

AAA- So far excellent service.

Battery isolation switch and fusible links- Oh yeah!

Quick Reply: I dodged a bullet today...What Crappy sad day..