C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2X4 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, Tom and Frank are great resources on these WCFBs. I see you rebuilt them yourself which is good, they are straight forward. Download that manual that Frank suggested.

Check the pump pressure as Frank suggested.

Take the little cover off over the metering rods while the engine is running. At idle the 'T' bar where the metering rods hang should be DOWN (pulled down by the vacuum). As you accelerate (vacuum decrease) the ''T' will raise the rods to expose the smaller diameter on the rod in the jet.

If the spring is too stiff, the 'T' will not lower at idle. There are two different springs for the 'T'. One for std cam vacuum and weak one for low vacuum more radical cams.

Just to reinforce others comments these WCFB 2 x 4s are great set-ups. I have run mine for 48 years and 200,000 miles. It starts and runs like it was EFI. A couple of years ago I did a STEALTH engine by putting a DART 400 and DART HEADS with all my original 1961 components back under the hood including the WCFBs. It dynoed 496 hp and 460 ft lb.

Best is the WOW factor when people see those old WCFBs

Joe
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
cwalley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Here is a PDF file of the fix actually installed in one of my carburetors (the red circled bushing)....this COULD be your turning/stalling problem but do NOT confuse it with your over rich running condition. They are most likely two different things....

Again, I'd check fuel pressure, float levels and ensure the floats are exactly centered in the bowls.

This manual will guide you through the process: http://handbook2.com/c/carter-wcfb-service-manual-e4402
I appreciate the support and the manual is very helpful. The floats, to me, are an avenue that I will check carefully. They could easily have been bumped along the way and cause some difficulty. At a minimum the fix for the stalling should be done anyway. I think in the end, I will get this solved, it's just frustrating to try and isolate the problem. I really appreciate all the supportive comments about these being potentially okay. I was ready to pitch them in the lake in front of my house!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a running rich problem on my 61 with 2x4's. The way I
figured it out was with an IR heat gun. The rear cylinders 6-8 5-7 were
running at 500+ degrees on the exhaust manifold. Fast idle (1000) rpm
The front 4 cylinder were running at 200+ degrees. I cranked down
the idle screws on the front carb until the were closed. The temp on
the front cylinder came up to the 500 degree level. I backed off the
front idle screws until the temp on the front cylinders started to go down.
The final setting on the front carb was about 1/16 turn from closed.

Hope this helps...
Ray
Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history

Originally Posted by x0000rgw
I had a running rich problem on my 61 with 2x4's. The way I
figured it out was with an IR heat gun. The rear cylinders 6-8 5-7 were
running at 500+ degrees on the exhaust manifold. Fast idle (1000) rpm
The front 4 cylinder were running at 200+ degrees. I cranked down
the idle screws on the front carb until the were closed. The temp on
the front cylinder came up to the 500 degree level. I backed off the
front idle screws until the temp on the front cylinders started to go down.
The final setting on the front carb was about 1/16 turn from closed.

Hope this helps...
Ray
Ray, that is good idea. That is the way I have shown 'the boys' to identify a dead cylinder on the big recip airplane engines. You have just digitized the diagnosis (no burnt fingers) with you heat gun !

Joe
Old 10-09-2014, 06:27 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

CWalley ....... not trying to rush you .... but have you resolved your problem ... or has time been a problem ... I can understand the latter.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:50 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default My problem .. .pretty well much solved .. foumd anyway

I've had similar running rich and high idle problems and could not for the life of me work it out. So had a friend over today (and a second pair of eyes and ears make a big difference). What we found is a number of vacuum leaks - as follows:

1. Secondary carbi small leak under the gasket - replaced gasket
2. Secondary carbi rather large leak around the secondary butterfly shaft on the left side where the shaft does extend out past the base casting (shaft sits about 1/8" inside the housing) - fixed this by cutting a small round disk out of gasket paper and placing this against the shaft and filling the remaining 1/16" with metal set.
3. Remaining primary and secondary butterfly shafts are all a bit worn where they rotate in the base casting and suck in air I WILL NEED TO GIVE THIS SOME ATTENTION .... going to a machinist mate of mine and talk bronze bush inserts ... which means machining out the base casting at the shaft points.

How did we find all of these leaks ... with a garden hose and a good stream of water over the carb bases. I had done this before with a spray bottle but water quantity is the key. Had the motor running and allowed the water to run over the carbi base and manifold and everytime the idle dipped new vacuum leak was found. Runs better now already with the fixes made (points 1 and 2) but still running a bit rich and the idle screws are almost backed completely off. In fact some of the vacuum leaks past these shafts are so big the engine practically stalled when the leaks was momentarily stopped by water.

Also still runs a bit hot ... may need to change the thermostat or drill some holes in it.

Never the less a productive morning.

I'd be interested in hearing how others are fixing the wear issue between butterfly shafts and base.

Garden hose and water cheapest fault finding tool I'll ever use or buy..... I would give this a go before you talk about what type of engine cam you have and if the floats in the crabs are set up correctly or if the needles and jets are right etc. It was a 10 minute diagnosis .... bit longer to fix ... but finding the problem is the challenge.

Last edited by mickatbp; 10-11-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Carb starting fluid, propane (unlit) or even a cigar are excellent ways to find a vacuum leak without dousing the engine with water. Many mistakenly think carb throttle shafts are supposed to be air-tight - they aren't or they couldn't move...if they are TOO loose then re-bushing is the usual fix....this isn't a job for the amateur though.

If your carb was sucking air I would think the mixture would be lean....fixing the leaks may have enrichened the idle mixture even more... I'd be looking hard for incorrect parts bad needle/valve seat, sinking floats or float height/drop levels way off... Bear in mind these WCFBs HAVE to have the floats EXACTLY centered in those small float bowls. Sticking to, or rubbing against, the sides of the carb body will make things squirrley as hell..

Your running hot problem is probably unrelated to your carb issues (unless you are running REALLY lean). Could be cooling system, timing/vacuum advance, sticky T-stat or a host of other issues...also check your bottom radiator hose for collapsing...it should have a spring in it to prevent this and some aftermarket Bubba hoses do not.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-11-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM
cwalley
Instructor

Here is a PDF file of the fix actually installed in one of my carburetors (the red circled bushing)....this COULD be your turning/stalling problem but do NOT confuse it with your over rich running condition. They are most likely two different things....

Again, I'd check fuel pressure, float levels and ensure the floats are exactly centered in the bowls.

This manual will guide you through the process: http://handbook2.com/c/carter-wcfb-service-manual-e4402
This is an update to all who helped with advice on the 2x4 carbs on my 1960. Sorry to be late responding, but first illness then life got in the way. This weekend I finally got to the car and it appears the problem is 90% solved. I made a plywood block off plate for the front carb. Then I was able to remove the front carb and only deal with adjusting the rear. That worked great. In addition, I took the top off the rear carb and checked float levels and they seemed fine. I replaced the front carb and the car seems to run great. It has good response, no strong gas smell, plugs are burning a light brown color and gas mileage seems fine. I still have the issue of some fluttering when I stop at a light, but a slight blip of the throttle seems to solve the issue and it idles appropriately. I have yet to try the fix of putting in a tube to correct the cornering issue, but even that does not seem as bad as before.
I appreciate all the advice and support everyone has given me on this problem. This is a great resource.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cwalley
I have a 1960, 283 bored to 302, 68 302 heads, Crane cam (sorry can't give too many specs on this but like early Duntov), and 2 Carter wcfb's. The carbs have given me months of fits. The car runs rich and no one, including several mechanics, can get it to lean down. The car hadn't run in 40 years when I got it, but PO's had tinkered with it so I have no idea how it started it's life. But it came with the 2x4's and I got it running with them, but it ran rich. I got generic rebuilding kits and went over them and reinstalled. Still ran rich. Finally got the car on the road and took it to a local respected old car mechanic. He could not get them to lean down and thought they should be rebuilt. I sent them to a recommended rebuilder who did a thorough job on the carbs. They looked beautiful and the rebuilder bench tested them on his motor before sending them to me. Ran rich so I took it to another recommended mechanic who fiddled with everything from valve lash to timing to mixture. Ran rich. I contacted the carb rebuilders and sent them back. They went over them and found a little dirt in the back carb. I changed the filter, and cleaned everything possible and reinstalled. Car ran better, but still rich. Since then I've reset valves, played with timing, tried tuning the mixture and it still runs rich and has idle problems when I run it on the road then come to an idle. I do notice that if I blip the throttle on the rear carb it sounds different than when I do this with just the front carb. When I gas just the front the engine sounds better. It seems to take the gas with less effort. Sorry I can't be more descriptive as this is a sound issue. When I gas the rear carb it is has a more restricted sound and feel, not pronounced, but it's different. Help!!! I am at wits end on this.
if they are jetted for a 270 HP engine rejet to 245 HP specs. 270 carbs are jetted for open exhaust

Last edited by PAmotorman; 10-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't know that he ever said he had 270hp carbs but perhaps.

One other thing that may help is to run NGK-XR4 plugs....they are a slight heat range hotter than the ACR45S and what I run in my dual quad '61 and split window coupe...
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

FTF, checking the thermostat is my next job.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

back in the day chevy supplied a stainless pieces to block the heat riser crossover in the intake manifold to make the 2X4 setup run better by reducing the exhaust heat to the aluminum intake manifold . they were in a package in the glove box of the corvettes. never saw them supplied with the full size cars.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

My heat riser is blocked off ... I believe that is why you then need a crossover tube on the exhaust that runs infront of the sump pan
Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mickatbp
My heat riser is blocked off ... I believe that is why you then need a crossover tube on the exhaust that runs infront of the sump pan
that is there to quiet the exhaust as blocking the heat riser crossover makes the exhaust louder. back in the day we used to used copper pennies hammered into the heat risers of flat head fords to make the dual exhaust louder
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I was speaking to Bob Kunz (via email) seems like a great guy and very helpful as well. He put me on to Smith and Co. also a great bunch of people and extremely helpful with WCFB parts ... could not do enough for me ... quick email reply ... and above all excellent prices, spoke to Lana (via email), can't praise her can do attitude enough. Apparently Chuck gets new throttles arms for wcfbs made especially and that is where Bob gets his parts from. Tell you what, you guys have some great niche operators over in the US.

Lana Smith
Chuck Smith
Smith & Company
29081 Fruitvale Lane
Valley Center, CA 92082
760-749-5755

http://www.chucksmithandco.com

Fax 760-749-5355
olsmoothie@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by mickatbp; 11-06-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Bob & Rob Kunz, and Ron & Tim at Daytona Parts are the only people that touch my carbs - although I've heard nothing but good about Chuck Smith's work as well...just haven't used his services myself..
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
that is there to quiet the exhaust as blocking the heat riser crossover makes the exhaust louder. back in the day we used to used copper pennies hammered into the heat risers of flat head fords to make the dual exhaust louder
What did you do to make the split exhaust manifold on that '53 Chevy louder? Most of them didn't need any help!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:23 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Bob & Rob Kunz, and Ron & Tim at Daytona Parts are the only people that touch my carbs - although I've heard nothing but good about Chuck Smith's work as well...just haven't used his services myself..
Frank, just stating that they get their replacement shafts from Smith and Co.

Quick Reply: 2X4 Problems