C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Correct way to adjust brakes on 57???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way to adjust brakes on 57???

Hello..I have a 56 service manual and in the Chevrolet service section on brakes it says to tighten brakes until shoes just begin to drag on the drum and back off seven clicks.
The problem I'm having is there is way to much play in pedal and contact. I have to pump pedal several times...not good. I tightened the adjustment and it helped but still loose. My fear is having to tight and causing drag on wheels which as you know will heat up wheels quickly. Any way the right way without guessing?
Thanks.....
Old 09-29-2014, 03:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tuten
Hello..I have a 56 service manual and in the Chevrolet service section on brakes it says to tighten brakes until shoes just begin to drag on the drum and back off seven clicks.
The problem I'm having is there is way to much play in pedal and contact. I have to pump pedal several times...not good. I tightened the adjustment and it helped but still loose. My fear is having to tight and causing drag on wheels which as you know will heat up wheels quickly. Any way the right way without guessing?
Thanks.....
Have you bled the brakes recently to get a good pedal?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have for about 40 years now always adjusted the brakes tight enough until you can't turn the tire with one hand and then back off 8 clicks. If you do that you should feel the wheel spin freely and there won't be any brake drag and your pedal stroke should shorten. But you could have other things going on if you have a spongy pedal...

Get notified of new replies

To Correct way to adjust brakes on 57???

Quick Reply: Correct way to adjust brakes on 57???