C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Locking license plate bolts on C-1's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking license plate bolts on C-1's?

I've been looking at securing my genuine 1961 license plate to my '61 Corvette and all possibilities I'm aware of have nuts that go on a special bolt behind the plate, but that area is totally inaccessible insofar as I can tell. For those who have locking bolts or fasteners of some kind on their plates, how did you access the rear of the plate area behind the rear of the car?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It is accessible with small hands. I had my youngest son help me get the nut started.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Default I cannot even tell how to get to it

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
It is accessible with small hands. I had my youngest son help me get the nut started.
I see your photo is a '62 so I assume you did it on that car. I also have a '65 that I was able to access by making my hands as small as I could, barking some knuckles and so forth and still I couldn't really tighten the locking nut as it was too difficult but I have no idea how to even get to the '61 plate attachment area. I assume you went underneath the bottom panel somehow but the area behind that panel and the spare wheel narcelle is way too small for any human hands insofar as I can tell.
Is that where you accessed it or did you fine another opening somehow and please tell me where that might be?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I saw a '62 at a local show that had 1962 NY plates on it, and someone asked the owner if he was worried about someone stealing them. He told him to take a closer look . . . They were riveted on! They just had a big enough washer under the rivet. Sounds a little Bubba to me, but I must admit it wasn't that obvious and it sure as hell would work. Just drill'em out if you ever want to change plates.

Last edited by fyreline; 09-29-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have original plates on my '63 and '61 and they aren't worth enough to me to work out some method of securing them. I really don't think they are all that much in demand or rare. I had the spare Florida original '67 plate off my Chevelle for a while and it took some searching at car shows to find anybody that even wanted it. I got my '61 plated for $13 and my '63 plate for like $18.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fyreline
I saw a '62 at a local show that had 1962 NY plates on it, and someone asked the owner if he was worried about someone stealing them. He told him to take a closer look . . . They were riveted on! They just had a big enough washer under the river. Sounds a little Bubba to me, but I must admit it wasn't that obvious and it sure as hell would work. Just drill'em out if you ever want to change plates.
"Bubba" ideas can work just fine. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have original plates on my '63 and '61 and they aren't worth enough to me to work out some method of securing them. I really don't think they are all that much in demand or rare. I had the spare Florida original '67 plate off my Chevelle for a while and it took some searching at car shows to find anybody that even wanted it. I got my '61 plated for $13 and my '63 plate for like $18.
Some historical authentic plates are not hard to find and some are extremely difficult to find. Then the cost of refurbishing them to acceptical conditions adds to their value. I believe you would be surprised if you really checked into it what the current value might be.
I know there was one guy who wanted to have his plate accepted that he paid over $2,000 for and hand carried it to the DMV in our capital city rather than entrusting it to the mail. I don't know the age but it must have been quite old and rare.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

You could use the type of bolt that needs a key type wrench. They're used a lot as an anti theft/tampering deterrent. It sorta has a hexagonal impression with a stud in the center. The call box for my electric gate opener has them and I've also seen them on other types of equipment.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 09-29-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Where do you leave your car that plates would be stolen??
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
You could use the type of bolt that needs a key type wrench. They're used a lot as an anti theft/tampering deterrent. It sorta has a hexagonal impression with a stud in the center. The call box for my electric gate opener has them and I've also seen them on other types of equipment.
That's what I have but the problem is access to the back to put the nut on. I just can't find any access to reach that at all.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Redbird
Where do you leave your car that plates would be stolen??
My cars are not trailer queens. I drove my '65 coupe from northeast Mississippi up the historic Narchez Trace to Nashville, then to the Cumberland Gap where Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky all join, then over to historic Rogersville, TN to an incredible private collection only open 1 day a year, then down to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, TN, then to Cade's Cove, adjacent to North Carolina and back home. It was a group trip with other collector cars. We spend the nights in motels along the way. I happen to like to sleep at night while my baby sits unprotected outside all night long.
Next week, I'll be traveling to "Cruising The Coast" , where around 7000 collector cars will gather along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I'll be staying in a motel.
Why do you not drive your car on road trips? Life is short. Drive the damn thing and enjoy it. Wear it out and rebuild it again.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

If they REALLY want it they'll just sawzall the mounting support on each side of the plate. An accomplice cranks up a loud stereo for cover noise.

Leave a big, mean, 'Vette-protective dog in the open car with a 20-foot chain, they'll move on.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It never occurred to me that someone would want to steal old license plates. I live in New York and I have never even heard of a car getting it's old plates stolen. Gas caps and other small parts are stolen all the time at large shows but I never leave my car alone long enough for anyone to get that close to taking something and if I ever catch someone trying to unbolt a part on one of my cars they will quickly and painfully learn the error of their ways!

My original 1960 plates!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Rocketjudge
Intermediate

Default Nice looking '60

But there again, you evidently don't drive it long enough distances to spend the night in a motel. I do. That's what these cars are for in my opinion.
Theft of antique (as well as new) license plates is not uncommon at all. That's why you have many different manufacturers hawking their anti-theft license plate attachments with unusual tools to attach and remove with. I suggest you research the availability and price (if available) a nicely restored 1960 NY plate is these days and they become rarer and more expensive as time goes by my friend.
My problem was access to the rear of my '61 where the holes for plate attachment are located. I don't see any way to put the nuts onto the bolts.
As for someone using a sawzall and other methods of theft, anyone can just about steal anything if they want to badly enough. The idea of deterrents is to create more work than probably they are willing to go through to get a nice historic plate for their wall.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:41 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Just rivet those suckers on there and be done with it.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I drove my 65 with a set of year of manufacture plates on the Hot Rod Power Tour and after 2700 miles and 6 states the plates are still on the car.
My 62 has had YOM plates on it for 21 years and they have traveled over 20,000 miles and are fine.
My 57 has a YOM Ohio plate "57VETTE" and after 5000+ miles it still looks good and remains on the car.
If someone wants to steal something of value there are a lot of parts that would be more tempting to me then license plates which if stolen could only be used on the garage wall.
Bruce B

By the way, check your local hardware store for "security screws" with special heads or ones that require a specific tool to remove them.

Last edited by ohiovet; 09-30-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

[QUOTE=ohiovet;1587941817]I drove my 65 with a set of year of manufacture plates on the Hot Rod Power Tour and after 2700 miles and 6 states the plates are still on the car.
My 62 has had YOM plates on it for 21 years and they have traveled over 20,000 miles and are fine.
My 57 has a YOM Ohio plate "57VETTE" and after 5000+ miles it still looks good and remains on the car.
If someone wants to steal something of value there are a lot of parts that would be more tempting to me then license plates which if stolen could only be used on the garage wall.
Bruce B
with Bruce.
I also was on the Power Tour and have been other long distance trips with overnight stays. The last thing I worry about is someone stealing my YOM plates that can only be used in my state and no one could register them once I report them stolen. What would be the motive to steal YOM plates anyway?
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Locking license plate bolts on C-1's?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

It's been my experience that people these days will steal ANYTHING. Thieves love to steal!!! THAT'S their motive.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

I tend to agree with those basically unconcerned about their YOM plates being stolen. The ones on my '62 are just held on with normal hardware. But, that's not the point. The OP sees it as a potential problem, or at least something that concerns him, and he was looking for suggestions - not comments telling him not to worry about it.

So I repeat - if you're really, really concerned about someone taking your YOM plates, just rivet them on there and we're done here. Yes, there are plenty of kinds of special hardware out there with tool-specific heads that would make them difficult to remove, but access to the back side to mount them appears to be an issue. At the end of the day, if a really, really determined thief wants your plates that badly you're probably not going to stop him, you'll only increase the amount of damage he'll do in order to get them.

Keep your car securely stored, and keep an eye on it as best you can at shows. That's really about all you can (or should) do . . . Other than that, drive and enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I have the same concerns

I have DANA Chevrolet ones and others on the other cars and I first went with a security bolt head, and then tack welded the nut on the back side and still worried. Along time ago, I was at the Pomona Swap meet surrounded by a hundred Corvettes and their Owners and while I was walking the aisles looking for junk, someone tried to take them off in broad daylight with guys standing there looking at my car! My Brother happened to walk back to the car, and caught the thief in the act and it got more interesting after that!

Quick Reply: Locking license plate bolts on C-1's?