C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need some advice on driveshaft and X-member

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Need some advice on driveshaft and X-member

I'm about ready to pull my engine and tranny and install a new transmission (LGT-700) and clutch (McLeod RST dual disc).

I'm going to need a new driveshaft and was thinking of going with a 3" aluminum one. I checked the tunnel there's really no clearance issues that I can tell. If anyone has some good info let me know. I want to make it strong but still get good rpm's that's why aluminum and not steel. Feedback?

What about a removable cross member. I should have done it when I had the body off a few years ago. Such is my regret now.
I see some fellow is selling flanges that you just buy and weld on after you make the cuts on the X-member. I was thinking of using a sawz-all or grinder. I tried to raise my floorboards and almost gained an inch of clearance. I used hockey pucks - one on each side.

If anyone has some good tips on this procedure I'm all ears.

Just heading over to my buddies to pick up his engine puller, back shortly.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I'll be the first to throw, which isn't unusual!

I got rid of that heavy and poorly welded piece of crap! And with some tweeks I put in a 68-82 Bowtie Overdrived Company unit (nice clean piece)!

I assume you will be running 1350 Ujt's, with my 3" driveshaft I had clearance issues and I like you hockey puck fix! Also load a passenger and a driver in the car to see where your at also. My situation was probably made worse because I raised the rear differential also! I have side exhausts and I decided on a reinstall of a parking brake even though it is a race car!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

TC, thanks for the advice on the U-joints. Because of the space I was thinking 1330's.
Hockey pucks are great because they are just slightly smaller than an inch in width, they are rubber, can handle hot and cold environments and throughout my years playing hockey I never broke very many and I played a lot of hockey still do.

Just came back from my pals place. Talked to him about my X-member problem and he said he could help my out. His company does plenty of high end welding with engineers available. He said he would ask one of the engineers he knows.
At his place I drew out some diagrams and talked about stress points and torsional weakness.
He said it shouldn't be a big deal and he'll do the welding for me since I'm welding deficient...
We talked about a few of the different kinds of removable cross members I've seen others do.
I'm not sure who's this is but I like it best:

There are a couple more that are also quite good but I kind of like this one.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not advice but just a comment. With the option you are thinking of using, you will have to remove both pipes after the headers. May be an issue - maybe not. It would be for my car.

Bud.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bud2
Not advice but just a comment. With the option you are thinking of using, you will have to remove both pipes after the headers. May be an issue - maybe not. It would be for my car.

Bud.
Bud, not a problem for me because I have sidepipes.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Here's another set of flanges I was looking at. I believe a fellow by the name of Ray Dowling makes them but I don't have an E-mail or Contact number. If anyone has this info could you please pass it on to me.

Again, I'm not sure who's car this is but these are the flanges I'm looking at.

Thanks
65-StingRay
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default You can just look at them

And can tell they are homemade. I would go 3/16 plate and cut four squares and just round one corner with with a grinder! I would suggest drilling one hole first and maybe make it slightly oversized for wiggle and mock it up with one bolt, then tack weld, and then mark the other bolt holes unless you are a more of a precision type of guy with a tape measure!

I am still impressed by the hockey pucks. They are kind of thicker than what was there, but it sure will help you clearance. On mine, I was slicing and splitting the fiberglass for the thick wall aluminum .125 3" driveshaft with the 1350 UJTs.

PS I have seen some guys retaining these drill bolt holes in the exhaust pass thru's and thread in bolts to clamp in the larger pipes so they are not rattling in the circular cans!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
Here's another set of flanges I was looking at. I believe a fellow by the name of Ray Dowling makes them but I don't have an E-mail or Contact number. If anyone has this info could you please pass it on to me.

Again, I'm not sure who's car this is but these are the flanges I'm looking at.

Thanks
65-StingRay
The last photo is my car. And yes that is a 3" O.D. driveshaft and it does fit.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

What size yoke and U joints Dave. Chassis is looking great!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
What size yoke and U joints Dave. Chassis is looking great!
1350 joints front and back.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
And can tell they are homemade. I would go 3/16 plate and cut four squares and just round one corner with with a grinder! I would suggest drilling one hole first and maybe make it slightly oversized for wiggle and mock it up with one bolt, then tack weld, and then mark the other bolt holes unless you are a more of a precision type of guy with a tape measure!

I am still impressed by the hockey pucks. They are kind of thicker than what was there, but it sure will help you clearance. On mine, I was slicing and splitting the fiberglass for the thick wall aluminum .125 3" driveshaft with the 1350 UJTs.

PS I have seen some guys retaining these drill bolt holes in the exhaust pass thru's and thread in bolts to clamp in the larger pipes so they are not rattling in the circular cans!
My welder friend and I talked about using 3/8" and build the flanges kind of like you described.
Thanks for the help.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

At least now I know who's car I'm referring to. Thanks for the insight on the drive shaft Dave. I'm starting to lean to a 2.5" with .095" wall thickness for a little better breathing room.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

At least now I know who's car I'm referring to. Thanks for the insight on the drive shaft Dave. I'm starting to lean to a 2.5" with .095" wall thickness for a little better breathing room.

65-StingRay
Wayne
I have said this in a prior post on another thread about driveshafts. It isn't so much the O.D. of the driveshaft as it is with the large 1350 yoke at the transmission side. As you can see in a photo in the first post the driveshaft is actually offset inside the tunnel toward the passenger side. I did have to remove a small area of the tunnel about 2"x2" to get extra clearance around the trans yoke as I had exactly zero. However the 3" fits inside the tunnel the entire way even though many say it won't.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Dave - just as an aside - how have you liked your crossmember since you installed it. Does it fit well...easy to remove...anything else you may be able to add.

Thanks again,
Wayne
Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Dave - just as an aside - how have you liked your crossmember since you installed it. Does it fit well...easy to remove...anything else you may be able to add.

Thanks again,
Wayne
I love it. My dad has a 67 and hates having to remove his transmission. For me it is a piece of cake. Oh yeah I didn't mention this before if you do use a 3" driveshaft you will need the removable cross member to be able to install the larger driveshaft.

Here are some photos that might help.

And the bigger driveline components allows me to do this without breaking stuff. Good thing the wife doesn't mind these marks in the driveway

Last edited by 4 Speed Dave; 10-02-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgot a wod
Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

We have a removable crossmember kit for C2/C3 that will work with your LGT trans. We also have full hydraulic kits and other installation pieces for the LGT units.

The brackets have to be welded on so this is a body off modification. If you're using an automatic frame, it will bolt in place using the factory side brackets.
Attached Images  
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford TN 37853
jeff.kauffman@shiftsst.com
Authorized TREMEC Elite Distributor
Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 AM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=4 Speed Dave;1587954096]I love it. My dad has a 67 and hates having to remove his transmission. For me it is a piece of cake. Oh yeah I didn't mention this before if you do use a 3" driveshaft you will need the removable cross member to be able to install the larger driveshaft.

Dave,

I probably missed it, and I can't tell from the pic, where
did you get your driveshaft ?
Thanks,
Dom

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on driveshaft and X-member

Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=DomL64;1588196004]
Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
I love it. My dad has a 67 and hates having to remove his transmission. For me it is a piece of cake. Oh yeah I didn't mention this before if you do use a 3" driveshaft you will need the removable cross member to be able to install the larger driveshaft.

Dave,

I probably missed it, and I can't tell from the pic, where
did you get your driveshaft ?
Thanks,
Dom

Denny's Driveshaft: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

I have purchased a few driveshafts from them and have always been very pleased with their service and product. I purchased the two piece transmission yoke from Moser. The yoke that Denny's provides is a typical yoke that makes installation impossible. You will need the two piece cap yoke.

Last edited by 4 Speed Dave; 11-05-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added extra info
Old 11-05-2014, 03:19 PM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=4 Speed Dave;1588197396]
Originally Posted by DomL64

Denny's Driveshaft: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

I have purchased a few driveshafts from them and have always been very pleased with their service and product. I purchased the two piece transmission yoke from Moser. The yoke that Denny's provides is a typical yoke that makes installation impossible. You will need the two piece cap yoke.
Thank you.
Not up to that point just yet, but, it's never too soon to start checking.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 AM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a set of flanges to do this but I didn't see any mention of how to cut the cross member while the body is on the car. I thought I would use a die grinder to cut the sides and bottom and then finish the top cut with my air grinder with a thin cutting blade. Any other suggestions would be appreciated from someone who has done this before. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need some advice on driveshaft and X-member