C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WCFB 2x4 Dual Quad Carb Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 58 Ballst Resistor

Hi All!

Took out pointless distributor & aftermarket coil. Putting back dual points distributor & original coil. I noticed tabs on ballast resistor loose, not the screws to attach the wires.

There is a spiral wires behind the ballast resistor and it moves with the screw tabs, so is tabs suppose to be loose?

Thanks,
Eric

58 spark plug life have been getting shorter and shorter life. 3-or-4 drives and it starts to foul, bad hesitation, rough running from stop light. It has Holley fuel pump.

Got WCFB 2x4 freshly rebuilt, so put 1/4 cup or more gas down carbs to dry start, since fuel pump and lines was dry from removing carbs for rebuild. Then gas started poring out the bottom of Carbs onto the intake manifold.

IS THIS HOW IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE?

2nd problem: because the fresh rebuilt fuel pump failed to bring gas up to carbs, I put back old Holley fuel pump. When test driving same problem as before I had the Carbs restored.

IS THIS PROBLEM CAUSED BY THE HOLLEY FUEL PUMP BECAUSE IT HAS A COUPLE POUNDS HIGHER FUEL PRESSURE?

I think I've got the dual carbs fuel mixture set OK and distributor advanced around 12 degrees (but don't know if the damper pulley has slipped on the crank, giving a false advance reading)

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited by Eric Sakai; 10-07-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: update for bad coil
Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are good rebuild and then not-so-good rebuilds.

Gas shouldn't have leaked on to the intake manifold if you were just adding enough to prime the carb. If you drowned it then gas might well have run out the throttle shafts. It wasn't necessary in the first place. A decent fuel pump will fill the small bowls in those early Carters in about 3 seconds.

Anyway just what is the fuel pressure measurement ? The WCFBs can indeed be sensitive to excessive fuel pressure. If the old fuel pump was causing the problem before then you just re-introduced the problem by installing it back on the car.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There are good rebuild and then not-so-good rebuilds.

Gas shouldn't have leaked on to the intake manifold if you were just adding enough to prime the carb. If you drowned it then gas might well have run out the throttle shafts. It wasn't necessary in the first place. A decent fuel pump will fill the small bowls in those early Carters in about 3 seconds.

Anyway just what is the fuel pressure measurement ? The WCFBs can indeed be sensitive to excessive fuel pressure. If the old fuel pump was causing the problem before then you just re-introduced the problem by installing it back on the car.
Thanks for the help. It was restored by very well known restorer but wanted to know what is right before going back to question restorer about work. Possible have been damage from postage delivery.

I'm guessing fuel pump is 6 or 7 pounds. But car did run OK in prior years, had Holley fuel pump on car over 10-years.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I wouldn't try to guess at the pressure. Buy or use one you already have, but get a vacuum gauge on the pump (they also measure fuel pressure)....and get an exact measurement. WCFB float levels are very sensitive as well. 7lbs of fuel pressure is approaching the upper limit on what these carbs can handle...
Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Default 58 coil & ballast resistor, as updated

Originally Posted by Eric Sakai
Hi All!

Took out pointless distributor & aftermarket coil. Putting back dual points distributor & original coil. I noticed tabs on ballast resistor loose, not the screws to attach the wires.

There is a spiral wires behind the ballast resistor and it moves with the screw tabs, so is tabs suppose to be loose?

Thanks,
Eric

58 spark plug life have been getting shorter and shorter life. 3-or-4 drives and it starts to foul, bad hesitation, rough running from stop light. It has Holley fuel pump.

Got WCFB 2x4 freshly rebuilt, so put 1/4 cup or more gas down carbs to dry start, since fuel pump and lines was dry from removing carbs for rebuild. Then gas started poring out the bottom of Carbs onto the intake manifold.

IS THIS HOW IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE?

2nd problem: because the fresh rebuilt fuel pump failed to bring gas up to carbs, I put back old Holley fuel pump. When test driving same problem as before I had the Carbs restored.

IS THIS PROBLEM CAUSED BY THE HOLLEY FUEL PUMP BECAUSE IT HAS A COUPLE POUNDS HIGHER FUEL PRESSURE?

I think I've got the dual carbs fuel mixture set OK and distributor advanced around 12 degrees (but don't know if the damper pulley has slipped on the crank, giving a false advance reading)

Thank you,
Eric
See top for new edit.

Get notified of new replies

To WCFB 2x4 Dual Quad Carb Problem

Quick Reply: WCFB 2x4 Dual Quad Carb Problem