C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Building up a c2-c3 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 PM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building up a c2-c3 chassis

I started this over on the C3 part of the site, and since the C2 and C3 share almost the identical chassis I thought you guys would like to see this....here was our first test car

working on a c2-c3 chassis to show off some new parts

new rear corvette upper crossmember

Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

here's the front arms and spindle......we built in increased castor for better straight line tracking, the taller spindle gives a better camber curve, and finally a billet steering arm with all new geometry to improve akerman, steering response and eliminate bump-steer

Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 PM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

here's our spindle VS stock

Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

We just had most of the system at LS fest and I was often asked why another corvette set-up, and my answer was there is a HUGE gap between slapping shocks and sway bars on a C2-C3 car for 1500 bucks and buying a 20,000 dollar full frame to improve the handling, and that's what we were shooting for, a system that's priced in the middle with great results in driveablity and performance. I was glad to have Britt get on here and help with the tech stuff, and I was able to build on the frame yesterday and take a few pictures

Hog Head on

building the rear control arms

Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RideTech Rodney
here's our spindle VS stock

This is a significant change to the front suspension "load path", one that eliminates the OE design redundancies. The entire suspension load is now being carried by the castle nut that secures the ball joint to the spindle? And the ball joint is now in tension. Both opposite of the OE design.

Harry
Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM
marolf101x
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry,

You would have legitimate concern if we were using the OE corvette ball joints and control arms. However, we are not. The Corvette front suspension design was lifted, in most part, from the 58-64 Impala, which left a lot to be desired compared to modern handling/performance suspension designs.

As such we took the opportunity to replace the control arms, ball joints, spindles, steering arms (basically everything between the wheel and the frame) with quality aftermarket parts utilizing the latest suspension design to optimize ride quality and handling for modern wheel/tire packages.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know there is experience out there with the setup you are using (C-4 for example). As you point out, it's a question of using parts designed for that application. Still, the original design is pretty robust.

Best of luck on your venture.

Harry

PS what's the frame coating?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM
marolf101x
Advanced

Robust, yes (after all like I stated it was originally designed for a much larger car). However, it was also designed for 7" bias ply tires. Which means it doesn't have enough caster, doesn't have enough camber gain, has too much bushing deflection, too much bumpsteer, and the lower control arms cannot accept coil overs.

The fundamental geometry goals are the same as any other GM vehicle of that era we offer a kit for. We've done quite well in the Camaro world and hope to bring that knowledge and expertise to the Corvette market. (here's a link to our 48 HOur Camaro, which I drive quite a bit: http://www.ridetech.com/garage/new-48-hour-camaro/)

The frame coating is a wrinkle finish powder coat. It looks great, especially on a display chassis. But keeping it clean is a pain! I would never put it under a running driving car as it would always look brown (the dirt gets caught in the wrinkles).
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Default RideTech Arms

Rear arms are on!!

here is an overhead view so the offset can be seen....

Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

opps!! backing plate was backwards

Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

We did a little Video on the front suspension install

Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

On the test c2, what wheels and tires are you using and what offset?

Also when will these parts be available?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
On the test c2, what wheels and tires are you using and what offset?

Also when will these parts be available?
The wheels are billet specialties 18x8 with a 5.250 backspace.

All of the suspension parts are currently available.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V361
Old 11-05-2014, 09:34 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

If anyone will be at SEMA come by booth 23197 and check out the chassis we have on display.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Supporting Vendor threads, I have to watch not to evaluate your product!

First i always like to see new stuff for our C2/C3 cars!

I do like your lower front a-arms! Are there any geometry changes designed into those? More people put the geometry changes into the uppers? And do you sell those separately?

The crossmember in the back, does it change the installed height of the rear end? It looks like it is still using the rubber donuts?

What is your designed in Bump change on the front steering arm and do those fit stock parts or just your custom units?

What ball joint are you using? And then some feedback as to why I ask! Corvettes are notorious for wearing those fast, therefore for hard usage, I run more precision units with adjustability.

How big are the cans (the diameter measurement)? for the attachment of halfshafts to what some of us have- being larger halfshafts and larger aftermarket outer spindle flanges!

I am good on rear uprights and have spare rear modified arms, but I am sure some here would want the capability for a parking brake answered-- yes or no?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-05-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM
marolf101x
Advanced

There are geometry changes in both the upper and lower front control arms. However they cannot be used with the stock spindle as we have ditched that in favor of our "tall dropped" spindle which uses the 67-69 f body/64-72 a body brake kits.

Bump steer is under 50 thousands.

The rear crossmember moves the rear up a bit and currently utilizes the stock style rubber bushings.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:42 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thanks! This in it's entirety looks like something to throw under a Pro Tour car

Originally Posted by marolf101x
There are geometry changes in both the upper and lower front control arms. However they cannot be used with the stock spindle as we have ditched that in favor of our "tall dropped" spindle which uses the 67-69 f body/64-72 a body brake kits.

Bump steer is under 50 thousands.

The rear crossmember moves the rear up a bit and currently utilizes the stock style rubber bushings.
Thus allowing guys to get rid of the limited option of using uninteresting C4 components which most choose because of lack of knowledge of other offerings.

As a customer, I was afraid of what some of the answers to my questions would be because of the level of already existing mods to my best car. But guys wanting handling generally wouldn't be as far down the road as me, and these are interesting products. That leaves me as a potential customer thinking about your rear end cross brace as something that could be tweaked to better what I have done back there. I have like plugs or dowels welded to the mountings (so no rubber donuts) and then everything is welded moving my diff up. On your unit, I really like the thought process on that piece, with my interest being strength and solid mountings with weight loss! I like that you provide an upper shock bracket welding for coilovers which is a convenience. I would to match my geometry trim down the tubes for the rubber donuts and then weld it all solid. I was looking at bending a single bar to go frame to frame so I could cut out the rear end crossbrace and the other frame crossbrace above completely and a unit that triples in function as the rear end mount, shock bracket mount and so as to support the front mounting on my fuel cell. Your unit is close and double bar, but it doesn't go to the frame rails and uses the mounts and crossmember that i was going to try to eliminate (cut out). But the wheels in my head are turning.

As for the compatibility to stock components, I understand the realistic practicality of your entire approach and putting castor gain into the lower a-arm! And basically with raise spindles, it gives you your front end drop. your raising the rear end point some helps with some slight lowering of the rear. I will stick to the rear non trailing arm uprights that I have, so going to trailing arms is a backwards step for me, but I am in the far less than 1% of car Owners with that type of setup. I do like your idea of designing into the steering arm the bump improvement, instead of the clunky spacer setups! Overall you do have some cool and interesting stuff!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Building up a c2-c3 chassis

Old 11-06-2014, 02:20 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
First i always like to see new stuff for our C2/C3 cars!

I do like your lower front a-arms! Are there any geometry changes designed into those? More people put the geometry changes into the uppers? And do you sell those separately?

The crossmember in the back, does it change the installed height of the rear end? It looks like it is still using the rubber donuts?

What is your designed in Bump change on the front steering arm and do those fit stock parts or just your custom units?

What ball joint are you using? And then some feedback as to why I ask! Corvettes are notorious for wearing those fast, therefore for hard usage, I run more precision units with adjustability.

How big are the cans (the diameter measurement)? for the attachment of halfshafts to what some of us have- being larger halfshafts and larger aftermarket outer spindle flanges!

I am good on rear uprights and have spare rear modified arms, but I am sure some here would want the capability for a parking brake answered-- yes or no?
To answer the rest of the questions,
we switched from a compression ball joint to a tension ball joint with our front end kit.
the cans on the trailing arms have and OD of 6.0", and ID of 5.625" and a depth of 4.6875".

And yes you can run a parking brake.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Yes this type of info would help the type of guy that would buy!

Originally Posted by chase@ridetech
To answer the rest of the questions,
we switched from a compression ball joint to a tension ball joint with our front end kit.
the cans on the trailing arms have and OD of 6.0", and ID of 5.625" and a depth of 4.6875".

And yes you can run a parking brake.

I hope this helps!
Most people at the most would run 1350 ujt's and probably 3 inch halfs! I got the bigger truck ujt;s and far bigger halfshafts in Tom's diff flanges!

I actually have to read up on what is a tension ball joint! You got me on that one! I guess part of my knowledge is still old school!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by chase@ridetech
The wheels are billet specialties 18x8 with a 5.250 backspace.

All of the suspension parts are currently available.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V361
Did you have to do any fender mods to make those tires and your suspension work?

Quick Reply: Building up a c2-c3 chassis