C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fuel gauge malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge malfunction

My '67 fuel gauge suddenly stopped working; needle is now "stuck" at about 3/4 full level. It won't move from that spot while driving or when adding fuel. What is this a sign of and how do I repair it?
Thanks

Steve
Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Have you looked to see if the wire connection on the back of the guage is connected along with the connection at the bottom of the gas tank? Dennis
Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the fuse panel. back up lights and parking brake light are on the same fuse. fuel sending unit could be the issue that is blowing the fuse if that is the case.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Have you looked to see if the wire connection on the back of the guage is connected along with the connection at the bottom of the gas tank? Dennis
Dennis:
I will check bottom of tank; how do I get at the back of the instrument panel?
It looks very difficult to access.

STeve
Old 10-13-2014, 09:19 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1974purchase
check the fuse panel. back up lights and parking brake light are on the same fuse. fuel sending unit could be the issue that is blowing the fuse if that is the case.
Thanks so much for the info; I'll check it out
Is the sending unit in the tank, or where is it?

Steve
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by stmyrick
Thanks so much for the info; I'll check it out
Is the sending unit in the tank, or where is it?

Steve
Lay on your back, passenger side, you can see the sending unit and all its plumbing/wires....
Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Do the easy things first!

Take off the connectors and clean them up even if they look relatively clean. I know stuff is plated and all, but sometimes a little sandpaper shines up the connections beautifully. Also check the wire path to see if the insulation is broken or cracked, causing it to short. Bounce the car up and down with the ignition on and gauge hot to see if the float is stuck. If you bounce the car, then the float should move some and register on the gauge if the gauge is working at all. Etc.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:02 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Default fuel gauge malfunction

Originally Posted by 66jack
Lay on your back, passenger side, you can see the sending unit and all its plumbing/wires....
Dennis:
I'm not seeing the sending unit/wires for some reason. I've jacked up the passenger rear of the car and looked. I'm looking forward from the right driveshaft and don't see any small electrical wires, just hydraulic line for the brakes. I see the area where the tank must be but cant say that I'm actually looking at the fuel tank.
Got any other suggestions? I'm going to be taking the car to a mechanic for an engine rebuild this winter, and could get it on a lift. The wires at the dash level look intact (I've not removed the dash), and the backup lights and emergency brake light are working, so I'm assuming it's not the fuse.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stmyrick
Dennis:
I'm not seeing the sending unit/wires for some reason. I've jacked up the passenger rear of the car and looked.
I think you'd need to remove the spare tire tub in order to see the wiring connections to the fuel gauge sender on the underside of the tank.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

You don't need to remove the spare tire tub to see the connections at the sender - the tank is at the extreme rear of the car, and the sender is on the passenger side; see below.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Default success!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You don't need to remove the spare tire tub to see the connections at the sender - the tank is at the extreme rear of the car, and the sender is on the passenger side; see below.
Thanks to everyone; I found the sending unit thanks to these directions. The picture attached does not show a fuse holder, which mine has. I found the fuse had burned out; replaced it and the guage is good again! Appreciate all the good advice.
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To fuel gauge malfunction

Quick Reply: fuel gauge malfunction