C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I need to stick it to Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I need to stick it to Corvette

The script word "Corvette" written on the glove box fell off on my 1965 Corvette coupe.
Anyone have a simple way to stick it back on?
Note: I am a klutz with glue and never got a good art grade back in elementary school.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Go get some 2 sided 'clear' sticky tape...used on pictures to stick to back boards for framing...its very thin but sticky/strong...
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Not knowing the overall condition of your particular car!

But sometimes us Owners neglect our cars and the general appearance over time, that the car on it's own will try to shed it's identity to counter the embarrassment. I hope this isn't the case, where your Corvette wasn't feeling like a bright and shiny beautiful Corvette and therefore it countered with losing the emblem!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66jack
Go get some 2 sided 'clear' sticky tape...used on pictures to stick to back boards for framing...its very thin but sticky/strong...
I thought of that, but won't dirt stick to the exposed part of the tape (between the letters) and look bad?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I thought of that, but won't dirt stick to the exposed part of the tape (between the letters) and look bad?
When you apply it to the back of emblem, take a razor and trim it then 'stick it', keep the backing in hand to keep pressure on it while you trim it...
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Does your door panel not have the 5 holes in it and the emblem have the 5 studs that go through the door? Was it glued on in the first place instead of the retaining nuts inside the door behind the aluminum panel?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Does your door panel not have the 5 holes in it and the emblem have the 5 studs that go through the door? Was it glued on in the first place instead of the retaining nuts inside the door behind the aluminum panel?
There are holes in the glove box door and studs on the emblem. I have no idea how it was originally attached. It is one of those things I never noticed until one day I opened the glove box door and the emblem fell on the floor. I did not see anything in the glove box that could have attached to the emblem. Can you send me a link to the retaining nuts at Corvette Central or Eckler's, etc? I could only find the emblem with no mention of the nuts.
I had just assumed the studs were only for alignment. If there is some kind of nut that holds the emblem onto the glove box, that would be great!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

If the emblem still has it's tangs put some clear silicone or epoxy on them and just a dab here and there on the flat areas. When I rebuilt my glove box door I broke off part of the "T" and reattached it with a few dabs of epoxy. Still there after 2 years. If you want to secure it from the inside you'll have to grind off the studs, split the cover and then reassemble which is fine if you're planning on refurbishing the whole door, new aluminum plate, paint, etc. If not, I'd glue it! Take your time and use a tooth pick as an applicator.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 10-17-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:09 PM
66jack
Team Owner

There are holes in the glove box door and studs on the emblem. I have no idea how it was originally attached. It is one of those things I never noticed until one day I opened the glove box door and the emblem fell on the floor. I did not see anything in the glove box that could have attached to the emblem. Can you send me a link to the retaining nuts at Corvette Central or Eckler's, etc? I could only find the emblem with no mention of the nuts.
I had just assumed the studs were only for alignment. If there is some kind of nut that holds the emblem onto the glove box, that would be great!
The emblem has raised stud that are peened over to attach them the the brushed aluminum part...the back of the glove box 'studs' are the same way...cast into the face frame...

When i redid my door it used a dremel and filed off the door 'studs' to take off the back to get the face off...

when i put it all back together...it put on the emblem and peened it to the aluminum...i also put some crazy glue on just in case i didn't get it tight enough...

I bought some small button screws and a drill bit and tap to attach the back of the door on...don't buy them until you get it removed and then you can get the correct size...

I bought the tap/bit/button screws from ACE hardware..

Make sure you don't drill in to deep your you will drill out the face of the door...Tap the holes...put the aluminum on/in place...put on cover and use the button screws to attach...put on some loctite to keep the screws on/in...paint black to match...

Mines been on for 6 years...so far...
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If your door has been apart before, and held together with screws, you should be able to take the front and back sections apart. If the studs are long enough you can use the same kind of nuts that are used to hold the nose and fender emblems on. Seems like they are called cap nuts, not sure now. If the door hasn't been apart, and the aluminum doesn't need to be replaced, I'd go back to gluing the emblem on, with the adhesive being on and near the studs.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Great post title, by the way!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
But sometimes us Owners neglect our cars and the general appearance over time, that the car on it's own will try to shed it's identity to counter the embarrassment. I hope this isn't the case, where your Corvette wasn't feeling like a bright and shiny beautiful Corvette and therefore it countered with losing the emblem!
[/QUOTE]

I like this post. It poetically shows how lovingly we care for our cars.

Take the time right now to go out and tell it that you care.

Shine up the tailpipe and clean the mirror and then drive it like you stole it!

Get notified of new replies

To I need to stick it to Corvette

Quick Reply: I need to stick it to Corvette