C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

50's Corvette engined special??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 50's Corvette engined special??

Does anyone here have an experience with the Lister or the Scarab? I am thinking of looking for one seriously. The Lister is now reproduced by Lurca and is not "period" enough for me, whereas the Scarab is bang on perfect. I has seen the real Listers in action and I love them. The intention would be a Sunday driver that could see track action.

Oh and by the way I would never sell the BBC 'vette to fund this. The car would be its SBC hanger mate. I would build it with a revving, period looking SBC, 327ish ... Dual carbs, webers or period looking FI.

Thanks CC:thumbs
Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by carbster09
Does anyone here have an experience with the Lister or the Scarab? I am thinking of looking for one seriously. The Lister is now reproduced by Lurca and is not "period" enough for me, whereas the Scarab is bang on perfect. I has seen the real Listers in action and I love them. The intention would be a Sunday driver that could see track action.
Listers have probably been done in England for decades, but this is the first I've heard of a Scarab replica. Maybe the rights expired or were otherwise up for grabs, Reventlow, Troutman and Barnes are all long gone.

Can you post a link or other info?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

The Listers were always more numerous than the Scarabs, and came in many different "flavors" and power trains. I always thought the Scarab was the prettiest sports racer ever made, even maybe a bit nicer (Gasp!) than the Sting Ray Racer. The Scarab was the car most adolescent boys were drawing on their notebook covers. A worthy project, whatever you decide. Good luck.

Last edited by fyreline; 10-22-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default How about

A (1960's) convertible Cheetah?

I think they actually have both Listers reproduced now-- Costin and the Knobbly!

I think what would sway my choice, would be the components they suggest or sell for the chassis!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

A friend of mine raced 2 for several years. The 58 they resurrected from a burnt frame sold for 175k pounds 2 years ago. The other one he sold several years ago. It ended up in England where much of the original items were striped off. It was then sold to back to an individual in the US as being correct. Once he was advised it had been striped of most of its original parts he sued the seller. They were fun cars but hampered by tire sizes whenever it was raced.

http://thepandatrap.com/tyler/misc/Lister1.JPG
This one was called a knobbley because of the hood. It was running a 283 (wink wink) with a 4 speed. It has a real early Kinsler FI which needed the taller hood.

http://thepandatrap.com/tyler/misc1/kinsler_3.jpg

Tyler
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,521 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by sub006
Listers have probably been done in England for decades, but this is the first I've heard of a Scarab replica.
There was a Scarab replica at Monterey a couple of years ago. It was on vendor island, not in the race.

Body contours were (deliberately) just a tad wider than the originals where the sheet metal starts to tuck under. Until the vendor told me about this variance, I hadn't noticed it. To my eye, it was a gorgeous, accurate repop.

See:

Repop Scarab

Last edited by jim lockwood; 10-22-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I would have to check

But the first Scarab replica I saw was at the Portofino ending of the very first Cannonball Run recreation back in the 90's! I would have to find that picture to see when I took that photo!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Certainly some of the Corvette powered sports racers were better than others, but my all time favorite is the Cheetah.

Get notified of new replies

To 50's Corvette engined special??

Quick Reply: 50's Corvette engined special??