C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

lost head room with new foam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Default lost head room with new foam?

Going to have my seats recovered this winter so I stopped by a highly recommended upholstery shop today to get a game plan together.

During our discussion I pointed out that I'm concerned that when new padding is installed, I plan on using AK vinyl covers and padding unless you guys convince me otherwise, that I'll lose a lot of headroom in my '66 coupe (I currently have about 2" from top of head to headliner now) with the new padding.

When I asked him about this I couldn't really get a definitive answer except that yes, I will sit a bit higher but that's about all he could/would say.

If I use new foam BUT don't replace the springs would that help? I mentioned removing/slicing a slab off the bottom pad but he didn't seem to like that idea.

Does anyone have suggestions/solutions to my quandary?

Gary
Old 10-18-2014, 02:46 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Therefore

You have a reason to put on some extra weight now to better compress the thick foam!

OK sorry, upholstery shops are a pain in the Rear! You would be better to source your own foam from a Corvette outfit and then find a shop that will not whine and throw trantrums!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-18-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:00 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Gary,

Have you talked to Mr. Stitch (www.mrstitch.com) in San Mateo? It's about a two-hour drive from Wilton. I have no personal experience with them yet, but from their web site, you can bring your own materials, and they do custom work. Maybe they can address your concern. If they ARE the shop you've visited, I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Yep, you will lose some headroom and sit higher with new foam. The "buns" on my seats are 25 years old now (restored in 1990) and still fresh and high compared to some other well worn in midyear seats I have sat on. The '65 has only been driven about 5,000 miles in those years so they are still fresh in that sense. I am 6'4" and just clear the headliner still though.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I used the AK foam after hearing about folks not being happy with the density and height of the CA foam. The AK was very nice to install and is definitely not a hard foam..
Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info guys.

TC: Not gonna gain weight, I'm a svelte 6'1" 200 pounder.

SI67: Thanks for the info, I'll keep him in mind.

gilbybarr: I put on close to 5000 miles in one year and am 3" shorter so that's encouraging.

Scott: Now that's what I want to hear! What about the question of using my current original springs? Yea or nay.

Anything anyone else can add will be appreciated.

Gary
Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I have an unusual case (a GOOD upholstery guy), but I have a local upholstery guru that does my work and he always recommends against the pre-fab foam in these cars for that reason. he builds up varying densities for different areas of the seat. this is the guy that did my 62, and I'm 6'2" 220 yet fit comfortably in it. the seat base looks tight, with no-one sitting on it, but the softer foam lets me settle right in like a cat in the lap. on my 62 he used the original springs, but replaced some spring clips here and there.

Russ
Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Thanks for the info guys.

TC: Not gonna gain weight, I'm a svelte 6'1" 200 pounder.

SI67: Thanks for the info, I'll keep him in mind.

gilbybarr: I put on close to 5000 miles in one year and am 3" shorter so that's encouraging.

Scott: Now that's what I want to hear! What about the question of using my current original springs? Yea or nay.

Anything anyone else can add will be appreciated.

Gary
Gary,

Speak to Al Knock's about that. I know they have come up with some specially designed seats for tall people. They may be able to supply you with a thinner version of the foam or even do your seats for you to your specs. They make all their own stuff and were very accommodating when I was working on the 64 and needed some individual pieces . Pilot Dan

ps: I just checked and I see they are going to be in Pomona CA on Dec. 6, 7. Don't know how far you are, but you may be able to arrange for a show install and save shipping.

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 10-18-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Can't help you with the springs Gary. Mine were broken or missing so I installed new ones. I'm 6'3" 200, and don't have head clearance issues in my convertible with the new AK parts.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Gary,

Speak to Al Knock's about that. I know they have come up with some specially designed seats for tall people. They may be able to supply you with a thinner version of the foam or even do your seats for you to your specs. They make all their own stuff and were very accommodating when I was working on the 64 and needed some individual pieces . Pilot Dan

ps: I just checked and I see they are going to be in Pomona CA on Dec. 6, 7. Don't know how far you are, but you may be able to arrange for a show install and save shipping.
Thanks, I'll contact them prior to placing my order. Thought about having them do my seats but wouldn't there be a substantial shipping cost? Thought about going to Pomona but it's about 300 miles away so probably cost the same to drive down there as shipping.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Can't help you with the springs Gary. Mine were broken or missing so I installed new ones. I'm 6'3" 200, and don't have head clearance issues in my convertible with the new AK parts.
No broken springs, so I think I might reuse my old ones.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Thought about going to Pomona but it's about 300 miles away so probably cost the same to drive down there as shipping.
It would be a fun day from what I hear, and you would see some nice cars + a great swap meet.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
It would be a fun day from what I hear, and you would see some nice cars + a great swap meet.
It does sound awfully tempting Dan. If perchance, I were to go, how does one go about having their seats done at one of these events? I would assume an appointment in advance would have to be set up is that right?

Gary
Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Not really appropriate to your issue but in case others are having issues with new foam. I faced the same issue and because of a winter of no driving, I put (2) 50 pound bags of sand on the seat during the non-driving season and come the following spring the seats were more comfortable.
Rick
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Rick, I'll have to remember that trick, just on the in case.

Gary
Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

It does sound awfully tempting Dan. If perchance, I were to go, how does one go about having their seats done at one of these events? I would assume an appointment in advance would have to be set up is that right?

Gary
YES. Don't wait too long to schedule, they only do a few at the show each day.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Al Knoch did my C1 seats at the NCRS meet in Kissimmee, FL a few years back -- it took them all day for both seats but I bolted them right in and drove the car home afterwards. It was interesting to watch their tech working away at the seats and made me glad I didn't attempt it myself. I scheduled about a month before the show...

Get notified of new replies

To lost head room with new foam?

Quick Reply: lost head room with new foam?