C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

lug bolt removal 57 rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default lug bolt removal 57 rear axle

I tried a search but did not get anything useful.
How do I remove the lug bolts from the rear axel? I have one that is broken flush and will probably have to drill. But I have another that is stripped, and beating on it while on the car is getting scary 'cause it is not moving much! 1/16, or maybe even only a 32nd. I've used a full size ball peen hammer. The videos I've seen on the tube show a single or 2-3 whacks and the studs on newer 'vettes seem to pop right out.
Do I get a bigger hammer? Or do I have to take out the axle and have a shop press these out? I don't want to damage the axle or the diff. due to slamming away w/o any hope of getting these out.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PattiR
I tried a search but did not get anything useful.
How do I remove the lug bolts from the rear axel? I have one that is broken flush and will probably have to drill. But I have another that is stripped, and beating on it while on the car is getting scary 'cause it is not moving much! 1/16, or maybe even only a 32nd. I've used a full size ball peen hammer. The videos I've seen on the tube show a single or 2-3 whacks and the studs on newer 'vettes seem to pop right out.
Do I get a bigger hammer? Or do I have to take out the axle and have a shop press these out? I don't want to damage the axle or the diff. due to slamming away w/o any hope of getting these out.

Thanks,

Dennis
I would heat the axle flange around the lug bolt with a torch and then drive them out. It won't take a lot of heat to get them to move. Caution don't apply heat directly to the lug bolt, you want the steel around it to expand not the lug bolt.

Don
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Pull the brake drum and look at the back side. Someone could have tack welded them in place.

Otherwise, man up and wail on it. You won't hurt anything.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
PattiR
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
Pull the brake drum and look at the back side. Someone could have tack welded them in place.

Otherwise, man up and wail on it. You won't hurt anything.
Oh we've manned up on the 3 that were not broken. Ten whacks with a 4 lb. hammer and out. My problem is the one that is broken and I can't get enough force on it! It's flush with the axle flange. The only thing I can think of now is to drill it halfway and put a drift in the hole and beat the H out of it like Alabama is doing to my AGGIES right now!!!

Any suggestions? Not about football. Thanks,

Dennis
Old 10-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

A long punch and keep smacking it
Old 10-18-2014, 06:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PattiR
Oh we've manned up on the 3 that were not broken. Ten whacks with a 4 lb. hammer and out. My problem is the one that is broken and I can't get enough force on it! It's flush with the axle flange. The only thing I can think of now is to drill it halfway and put a drift in the hole and beat the H out of it like Alabama is doing to my AGGIES right now!!!

Any suggestions? Not about football. Thanks,

Dennis
I wouldn't drill it. You might screw up the ID. Try this.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
PattiR
Racer

I wouldn't drill it. You might screw up the ID. Try this.
I looked for one of those and can't find it. Do you have a source?

Dennis
Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

No, not offhand. I guess I don't understand why your studs would be any tighter than normal?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:43 PM
PattiR
Racer

No, not offhand. I guess I don't understand why your studs would be any tighter than normal?
They are original, that's the only answer I can come up with. The full studs came out fairly easy, just having a heck of a time with the broken one.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

air hammer, or air chisel, thread on a lug nut some to help contain it. If that doesnt work youll be pulling the axle and heading off to the machine shop, may as well do both sides
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I will be the naysayer.

Many moons ago I learned (the hard way) not to beat on wheel bearings. Had a vehicle we were having painted at a friend's shop, and I had forgotten to tell him where the lug nut lock key was "hidden". Rather than call me, he just beat a socket over the locking lug nuts.....

Within a couple hundred miles, front bearings on both sides ( these were tapered roller bearings, which have more surface area than most weaker C1 wheel ball bearings) were making "noises". Upon removal, I could clearly see the evenly spaced indentations on the bearings from severe side impact while stationary. Never did see a problem with the rears, so perhaps those were "stronger".

The term for this condition is "Brinelling".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Put a slide hammer on the rear axle and beat on it until the axle comes out. Then put it in a press to push the stud out.

Use caution as you'll be beating against the bearings when you use the axle puller. Of course, if you use too much caution, you won't get the axle out. I think the original rear bearings were ball bearings if I remember right.

Last edited by MikeM; 10-19-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To lug bolt removal 57 rear axle

Quick Reply: lug bolt removal 57 rear axle