C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 427 block stamping anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:30 PM
65blackcoupe
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the block offer, but I'm sticking with my misstamp block. It was assembled 9 days before the body (StL) so it seams dead on. The trans case vin matches the car (last two not flip flopped). Thanks for all the insight. I have a few other cars in my collection with human error, none with this though. I love the car and have no plans of ever letting it go or making any changes to it other than the current freshening up its receiving. I've just always been curious about the block stamping. Thanks for all help provided.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
This quote, which is correct in its import, points up the stupidity of the NCRS judging system. Everyone knows that mistakes were made in the factory, that parts were substituted to keep the line running, etc.
Why should an owner have to replace a part that all logic indicates was original to a car just to conform to an arbitrary standard set by an enthusiasts' group. Instead of forcing adherence to its standards, NCRS should celebrate those production line "errors" that make a car's history so interesting by establishing a system whereby anomalies are accepted upon a reasonable showing of fact concerning the part or number in question.
I think you'll find that at least one of the NCRS judges that frequents this board has commented 'no deduct' on this car for exactly the reasons you stated.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by 65blackcoupe
Thanks for the block offer, but I'm sticking with my misstamp block. It was assembled 9 days before the body (StL) so it seams dead on. The trans case vin matches the car (last two not flip flopped). Thanks for all the insight. I have a few other cars in my collection with human error, none with this though. I love the car and have no plans of ever letting it go or making any changes to it other than the current freshening up its receiving. I've just always been curious about the block stamping. Thanks for all help provided.
The trans VIN matching the car, and the engine VIN having the last two digits reversed is a bit puzzling to me.

As I recall, engine and trans were stamped at the same time, and with the same gang holder.

I used to own a 73 base motor car that had the last digit overstamped (originally stamped with an 8, then overstamped with a 7. However, both the engine and the trans had the very same overstamp. Engine and trans were originally gang stamped with an 8 in the last position, then both were gang stamped again with a 7 in the last position. The car's VIN ended in a 7.

My point being, I believe that the engine and trans were stamped at the same time, by the same person, and the same position on the assembly line, and using the same gang holder.

In your situation, the anomaly would have been that the engine was stamped with the last two digits reversed, then the characters in the gang holder were switched to the correct position, and the trans was stamped. What puzzles me is why the engine would not have been stamped again with the correct VIN afterwards.

Still, it sounds like a great car, and I applaud your decision to leave it as is. It would still be interesting to locate the car with the other VIN and see what that situation is.

Good luck with your car.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

What about the possibility that the gang holder was dropped and the person putting the dies back together failed to put them back in the proper sequence?
Rick
Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
What about the possibility that the gang holder was dropped and the person putting the dies back together failed to put them back in the proper sequence?
Rick
In other words, the trans was already stamped, then the holder was dropped? Maybe.

I'd still like to see some nice pics of the pad and the trans. stamping. If the only difference are the positions of the two last digits...........
Old 10-20-2014, 12:32 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emccomas
The trans VIN matching the car, and the engine VIN having the last two digits reversed is a bit puzzling to me.

As I recall, engine and trans were stamped at the same time, and with the same gang holder.
Actually, two different VIN gang stamp holders were used to stamp engines and transmission for most of ’65 through ’67. The engine gang stamp began with a digit for the year, followed by six digits for the VIN. The transmission gang stamp began with a digit for the year, the letter S for St. Louis, followed by six digits for the VIN.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
This quote, which is correct in its import, points up the stupidity of the NCRS judging system. Everyone knows that mistakes were made in the factory, that parts were substituted to keep the line running, etc.
Why should an owner have to replace a part that all logic indicates was original to a car just to conform to an arbitrary standard set by an enthusiasts' group. Instead of forcing adherence to its standards, NCRS should celebrate those production line "errors" that make a car's history so interesting by establishing a system whereby anomalies are accepted upon a reasonable showing of fact concerning the part or number in question.
In the case under discussion, the transposition of the last two digits is a most understandable error, particularly if the owner can demonstrate a clear history for the last 40 or so years showing that any restamping would have had to have been done before then, i.e., at a time when numbers were not considered important and there would not have been any motive to lie.
We DO celebrate originality and production line errors. We in fact learn from them. However, you are making one monumental assumption - you are assuming that beyond a shadow of a doubt this guy's engine IS IN FACT the original motor that came in the car. We haven't even seen a pic of the pad, and you're assuming because he said so that it's the original engine for the car and we(NCRS) should celebrate this production line error. ??? We know of wrong tank stickers being placed on cars, typos in the trim tags, typos in vin tags, etc etc etc... No offense to the OP, but until it is established that this engine is the original one that came in the car from St. Louis, this is all conjecture and hypothesis. ARA
Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
Actually, two different VIN gang stamp holders were used to stamp engines and transmission for most of ’65 through ’67. The engine gang stamp began with a digit for the year, followed by six digits for the VIN. The transmission gang stamp began with a digit for the year, the letter S for St. Louis, followed by six digits for the VIN.
1965 model year was slightly different for the transmissions; NO digit for model year, then starting with "S" for St. Louis, then the 6-digit VIN. (see pic). However, it took the plant a few months to get it straight, as they continued with the 1964 format at least to VIN 014xx range. I've seen some of these early examples of the "5" over-stamped with an "S" of a larger font. Maybe an 8-character holder was not yet available .

c
Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Interesting transmission VIN. The production records I have indicate there were 23562 total 1965 Corvettes built.

Verne
Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Interesting transmission VIN. The production records I have indicate there were 23562 total 1965 Corvettes built.

Verne
But there were 27,720 1966 Corvettes made. OP was talking about a 66, not a 65. ARA
Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
But there were 27,720 1966 Corvettes made. OP was talking about a 66, not a 65. ARA
Reading his text, it seemed he was indicating the photo was from a '65.

Verne
Old 10-20-2014, 05:39 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe

Ara -- Yes, the OP was referring to a '66, and the thought of checking the trans stamp was raised in thread #12; my post # 28 was to point out that, starting in '65 they still used 7 character holders for the trans, but the year prefix was replaced by "S"; then in 1966 and 67, with the trans holder changed to hold 8 characters, these 3 years probably did NOT use the same as that used on the engine pad.

Nevertheless, if the OP could check the trans, that would help this discussion.

P.S. W.Guy: your VIN reference to end-of-'65 production being #23562 is a bit out of date. Chevrolet has confirmed that 2 more Corvettes were produced in August, so the last is #23564 (the convertible on the left in my avatar).

Last edited by midstyle; 10-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by midstyle
Ara -- Yes, the OP was referring to a '66, and the thought of checking the trans stamp was raised in thread #12; my post # 28 was to point out that, starting in '65 they still used 7 character holders for the trans, but the year prefix was replaced by "S"; then in 1966 and 67, with the trans holder changed to hold 8 characters, these 3 years probably did NOT use the same as that used on the engine pad.

Nevertheless, if the OP could check the trans, that would help this discussion.

P.S. W.Guy: your VIN reference to end-of-'65 production being #23562 is a bit out of date. Chevrolet has confirmed that 2 more Corvettes were produced in August, so the last is #23564 (the convertible on the left in my avatar).
Very interesting. My totals are also from Chevrolet records but from 1989.
Verne

Quick Reply: 66 427 block stamping anomaly