C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

BB Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 PM
bill3302
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BB Oil Pressure

I changed my oil yesterday in my 396. I changed the filter last year so just changed the oil with Mobil One High Mileage 10-30 Full synthetic. I put in 4 quarts looked a little low on the dip stick, but clear oil it was hard to see so I put in a few more ounces. Started it up let warm up and the oil gauge was at idle 60 and took it for a ride at acceleration it was at pegged at 80. Are those two reading OK? Just dont wan't to over fill. Thanks,Bill
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bill3302
took it for a ride at acceleration it was at pegged at 80. Are those two reading OK? Just dont wan't to over fill. Thanks,Bill
Bill:

Oil pressure is independent of oil level, unless of course you get so low that the pump pickup cannot pick up, in which case you would have no oil pressure.

Oil pressure is primarily a function of bearing clearances (engine health), oil viscosity, RPM and temperature.

My 396 running 10-40 will approach 80 pounds on a cold start and level off at operating temperature.

If you ran it low a quart or with an extra quart in it would not affect oil pressure.

Dan
Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

If you overfill the pan too much you can aerate the oil from the crank. The time it happened to me I was running on the highway and noticed the oil pressure fluctuating. I pretty much knew what I had done so I drained a little out and everything was normal. Each engine series will be different but it would probably take close to a quart too much to start causing a problem in most cases. With 10W-30 my gage is pretty much pegged on a cold start and runs between about 40 and 70 hot from idle to acceleration.

Get notified of new replies

To BB Oil Pressure

Quick Reply: BB Oil Pressure