C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WCFB Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:45 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default WCFB Woes

If any of the members of this Forum have been following my threads you will know that for the past few months I've been attempting to resolve issues with my Carter WCFB. The carb is a 1962 Corvette Carter WCFB Carburetor. It is marked 6-1586 on the air horn and was completely rebuilt.

My dilemma is that in attempting to remove the internal fuel filter I inadvertently stripped the threads in the air horn. I have tried to seal it using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket® #3 Paste-Like Sealant, and installing a gasket on the inlet fuel nut. No luck. I can't drive my '62 to any local garage due to the fuel leak. The only good side to this is that I have all winter to get my baby back on the road. Will any WCFB air horn fit on my '62 Carter? I am open to any suggestions at this point. I need HELP!!

Last edited by corvette-62; 10-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-62
If any of the members of this Forum have been following my threads you will know that for the past few months I've been attempting to resolve issues with my Carter WCFB. The carb is a 1962 Corvette Carter WCFB Carburetor. It is marked 6-1586 on the air horn and was completely rebuilt.

My dilemma is that in attempting to remove the internal fuel filter I inadvertently stripped the threads in the air horn. I have tried to seal it using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket® #3 Paste-Like Sealant, and installing a gasket on the inlet fuel nut. No luck. I can't drive my '62 to any local garage due to the fuel leak. The only good side to this is that I have all winter to get my baby back on the road. Will any WCFB air horn fit on my '62 Carter? I am open to any suggestions at this point. I need HELP!!
Replace the air horn, I have a spare. If you need it, PM me.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 6-1575 that you can have.
Brgds,
Rene
Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Mark, I got your email and checked my stock and I don't have one.

Did you strip it when removing the fuel inlet fitting, or when you were trying to thread it back on? That's a drawback with the filters there. That fitting is prone to problems.

That's a great offer of Dan to send you a air horn.

And he was spot on in your other thread....you can't have 2 filters, but I guess that's a moot point now since you were trying to eliminate the stone filter. I'd imagine that may be your issue with fuel starvation.

FYI, there was, and must be, a gasket installed behind that fitting. I just read your prior post and you said there wasn't one there, however there was. It's gray colored in this photo of your carburetor.

Rich
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes -- I would jump on that air horn offer from Pilot Dan. Remember there are 18 screws holding the air horn on of THREE different sizes. Get them wrong and you'll be stripping out more stuff. Here is a template you can use to store the screws in the original locations so you don't get them mixed up...
Attached Images
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PM's sent...Many Thanks guys Pulling my hair out over this...But learning a lot!

Get notified of new replies

To WCFB Woes

Quick Reply: WCFB Woes