C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Did the J65 brakes come with power boosters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Did the J65 brakes come with power boosters?

Or were they non-power?

My '64 has a 1967 master cylinder (double/proportional) with booster as it was slalom raced in the 70's and J65 drum brake cylinders (I have a 1964 master cylinder with booster on the side) and wanted to correct my set up, but not sure if there are any issues with the metallic drum brake shoes (J65) on my car. I could either rebuild the '67 master cylinder, which I think is the better MC, or correct the set up. The original brake pad shows non-power. But since I have the '64 MC with booster, I kinda want to install it that way. Don't know if it's correct though.

And yes, I know the '67 MC shouldn't fit because of the hood structure, but that past owner in the 70's cut out a notch that I'm either going to fix, or leave.

Thanks

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 10-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Or were they non-power?

My '64 has a 1967 master cylinder (double/proportional) with booster as it was slalom raced in the 70's and J65 drum brake cylinders (I have a 1964 master cylinder with booster on the side) and wanted to correct my set up, but not sure if there are any issues with the metallic drum brake shoes (J65) on my car. I could either rebuild the '67 master cylinder, which I think is the better MC, or correct the set up. The original brake pad shows non-power. But since I have the '64 MC with booster, I kinda want to install it that way. Don't know if it's correct though.

And yes, I know the '67 MC shouldn't fit because of the hood structure, but that past owner in the 70's cut out a notch that I'm either going to fix, or leave.

Thanks
The J65 metallic brake option included the J50 power booster in 1964 (it didn't in '63), so if you want a correct installation, it should have the booster.

The '67 master cylinder (if it's for a Corvette) doesn't have residual pressure valves, which are a necessity with drum brakes; does it have separate external RPV's? The '64 master cylinder has an internal RPV.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The J65 metallic brake option included the J50 power booster in 1964 (it didn't in '63), so if you want a correct installation, it should have the booster.

The '67 master cylinder (if it's for a Corvette) doesn't have residual pressure valves, which are a necessity with drum brakes; does it have separate external RPV's? The '64 master cylinder has an internal RPV.
Thanks John. The '64 MC and booster are still attached together, so it's good that I can use the complete assembly. Where's the residual pressure valve? It has a proportioning valve to the side.

I'll confirm whether Corvette after I get home from work.

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 10-20-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Where's the residual pressure valve? It has a proportioning valve to the side.
The RPV in the '64 master cylinder is internal - see page 5-2 in the '64 Corvette Shop Manual; it's the last thing you remove and the first thing you install when you rebuild the master cylinder.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

I'll most likely rebuild and reinstall the OEM '64 MC with booster PB I have on the work bench, but here's what's on it now. I'll replace all the lines with steel during the MC rebuild.

Think I'll rebuild the '67? MC in the future; it's a part of my car's history. Nothing anyone would know about, but talking the owner who slalomed it gave it personal value to me.

Originally Posted by JohnZ

The '67? master cylinder (if it's for a Corvette) doesn't have residual pressure valves, which are a necessity with drum brakes; does it have separate external RPV's? The '64 master cylinder has an internal RPV.
The '67? MC that's on it right now is 5455509 has been there since the 1970's, according to the owner at the time.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I'll most likely rebuild and reinstall the OEM '64 MC with booster PB I have on the work bench, but here's what's on it now. I'll replace all the lines with steel during the MC rebuild.

Think I'll rebuild the '67? MC in the future; it's a part of my car's history. Nothing anyone would know about, but talking the owner who slalomed it gave it personal value to me.

The '67? MC that's on it right now is 5455509 has been there since the 1970's, according to the owner at the time.
I'm surprised he ran it successfully with that 509 master cylinder, which doesn't have RPV's; that makes for a LONG pedal, especially at initial application. You'll have a much higher pedal with the '64 master.

Get notified of new replies

To Did the J65 brakes come with power boosters?

Quick Reply: Did the J65 brakes come with power boosters?