C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 Vette shifter plate too small for shifter travel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Knight, David
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 Vette shifter plate too small for shifter travel

I have just completed a rotisserie restoration on my 1961 Corvette. The problem I have encountered is that the travel of the shifter handle is too great for the opening in the console plate. I have raised the B/W T-10 about 1/4" to try to compensate, but the plate will still not accomodate the shifter handle travel. I fear raising the transmission any farther lest the angle created at the u-joints/drive-shaft would result in significant stress. Hopefully someone will have an idea which will help.

David Knight
Old 10-21-2014, 05:56 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Are we assuming you have a stock transmission along with a stock shifter? Is the shifter properly adjusted around the center gate? If so, my first question would be is the hole in the tunnel in the correct spot, it is covered up by the carpet now, but did you install it or someone else?

Last edited by jrm5657; 10-21-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

David:
I have some of the same thoughts as jrm5657. My '61 is Powerglide so my experience with that won't be much help. However, my '57 came with a Muncie transmission and a Hurst shifter. I had the transmission rebuilt but had to order a new stock shifter as well as the fiberglass transmission/floor panel and the shifter plate. If, during the restoration, you had the panel off, it may not have been installed in the correct position or the hole for the shifter may be slightly off. Also, I would consider the shifter itself. Is it new or the original?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I ran the stock T-10 in my '61 and now a Tremec 5-speed; in neither case is the console opening an issue vis a vis shifter travel. You have something going on - but I would not mess with the tranny height anymore either...you can cause undue stress with the C1s already severe drive shaft angles...

Before anything else, make sure your shifter isn't a sloppy mess and requiring excessive "throw" to shift gears.

Otherwise, remove the screws and ash tray from the console, move it back and forth and see if there is a 'sweet spot' where the shifter's range can be accommodated; if so and it doesn't look bad I'd just screw the console down in that spot and, if needed, trim the ash tray fiberglass opening below the console for a good fit and keep on truckin'.

You could even cut the bottom off the ash tray if necessary - who smokes in their classic Corvette anyway ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Any chance your body is too high or the tail end of the trans is too low? Something is not right here.
Fellow SACC member here in Lakeland is finishing up a 3 yr restoration where they actually raised the body , went to side mounts, Steeroids, and more. Hood clearance issues was a reason for raising the body using hockey pucks. I told them they would probably have shifter opening issues, and they did which was resolved by raising end of the tail housing. Driveshaft angles are reportedly acceptable, and car should be on road shortly to confirm.

Another local car was a 58 which had same problem. Turns out car had homemade motor mounts and they ended up raising the tail end of the trans to correct.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Knight, David
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '61 shifter plateopening too small

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Are we assuming you have a stock transmission along with a stock shifter? Is the shifter properly adjusted around the center gate? If so, my first question would be is the hole in the tunnel in the correct spot, it is covered up by the carpet now, but did you install it or someone else?
The car had a Hurst shifter when I bought it. The transmission is stock and I have a new correct 4 speed shifter from Corvette Central. With great effort the gate is adjusted to clear in all gears. The hole in the tunnel seems correct, however it will not accomodate the ash tray, which is okay. I will just cut off the bottom of the ash tray. I installed the transmission and shifter and carpet. With the shifter boot on, there is simply no spot where I can locate the plate to accomodate all gears.

FYI: We have uninstalled and reinstalled the transmission three times. The gentleman working with me is a mechanical engineer who originally designed and built transmissions for/with Borg-Warner. Everything works except the console plate won't accommodate the shifter throw. Frustration!!! Thanks for your ideas.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So why does the ash try hole not line up properly. That tells me that the hole or the shifter plate is not in the right spot. Pictures would certainly help in the diagnosis!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure you have the correct plate there's a 3 speed plate and a 4 speed plate.

Get notified of new replies

To 61 Vette shifter plate too small for shifter travel

Quick Reply: 61 Vette shifter plate too small for shifter travel