C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 brake lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
dirk-gently
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 brake lock

So I have been picking away at my restarted 61 project. I got it running ok. I was able to free up the flywheel/pressure plate lock. But the brakes are driving me nuts.
100% new brakes back in 1999 and never driven. left front bleeder had a drip and after nearly 2 yrs in body shop.....all fluid drained out.
I filled the master (did not bench bleed ) and proceeded to bleed at the wheel cylinders starting with rear.....but nothing would come out....eventually I moved to front and was able to bleed as normal...and got a normal solid pedal........go back to rears and still nothing comes out
....with rear bleeders open the pedal is still normal fell and wont go to the floor.
Any ideas???
Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 PM
hderr
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure sounds like the line running to the rears is plugged. Seems unlikely that both rear bleeders are plugged, but first thing I'd try would be to completely remove the rear bleeders and see if you can get any fluid to move. Next would be to disconnect the line where it splits at the rear of the car and work forward as needed.

Hank
Old 10-21-2014, 10:56 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Plugged rubber line

Replace the rubber line to the rear axle. This runs from the steel line down the side of the frame to the axle steel lines. Mine was plugged and this cleared the problem.

Ray
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 AM
dirk-gently
Cruising

I removed bleeders and nothing came out. I then tried a power bleeder I borrowed. Going to remove the rubber line today, Thanks
Had to drive the car from down the street (100 yds.) to its home in my new garage yesterday. I used the e-brake for the most part to get it here. First ride in 14+ yrs.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

All three rubber lines should be replaced if they have never been. They can be very restrictive with age and swelling. Good time to flush the whole system with denatured alcohol, blow all the lines clear, and replace old fluid with DOT-5. I have it in both of my cars now 4-7 years and no problems.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Replace ALL the rubber lines - they can deteriorate from the inside out and look fine and endanger your life. A few bucks and a few minutes wrenching isn't worth getting hurt...
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
dirk-gently
Cruising

that's good advice for a dead man master cylinder.
curious if the brake fluid eats the rubber lines. they are 14 yrs old...but still.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Combination of fluid, moisture, and flexing (from front wheels turning) and expansion/contraction (from brakes being applied) takes its toll. If they are 14 years old I wouldn't even think about it - replace them all and be assured of your safety.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 PM
dirk-gently
Cruising

So I finally had time to pull the rear flex line off. It is plugged up. When I press on the pedal it goes to floor now.
To be clear to others who may find this topic helpful.....these lines had Zero road miles on them. soon after they were installed the project was put on hold. They were installed in 1999 and still look brand new.
I wonder what happens that they plug up?
Ordered 3 new ones and hope this helps someone down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To 61 brake lock

Quick Reply: 61 brake lock