C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Unique grounding problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Dennis,
Remember that all of the electrical items on your Corvette depend on a good ground system.
So if a ground strap is suppose to help eliminate radio noise it is also helping with the overall grounding system.
You can not have to good a ground in a Corvette.
Bruce B
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, grounding is very important, but what is equally important is understanding what the issue is (in this case radio static) and effectively addressing that issue.

I can honestly say, I don't think Chevrolet had a clue what/how to solve this problem and just started grounding everything. What they problem should have done is looked at it from a "shielding" perspective and not a grounding issue...and looking at the radio itself in how to shield the AM (amplified modulated) signal from engine noise (spikes). As was mentioned earlier...it's not so important that the frame be grounded as there isn't much connected up to it, and it's certainly not a "shield". As long as I get a decent ground to the frame from the engine, I should be good to go. However it should be noted that a good frame ground is needed to prevent static build up, specifically when your gas tank is connected directly to the frame.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Anyone have a picture (dimensions) of the washer that goes on motor mount? If mine is wrong, then now would be the time to replace it.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Anyone have a picture (dimensions) of the washer that goes on motor mount? If mine is wrong, then now would be the time to replace it.
Looks like this.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey John...thanks for the picture. It's hard for me to see, but is it thick, or is there some type of fiber washer under it?
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Jim thought it looked like a crankshaft balancer washer...what ever the heck that is.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Hey John...thanks for the picture. It's hard for me to see, but is it thick, or is there some type of fiber washer under it?
Nope - just an ordinary flat washer; don't recall the dimensions - don't have a C1 to measure.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I just want to get a good ground to my engine and frame...well, actually I guess the engine is pretty much grounded from the starter cable to battery...so that just leaves the frame.

Frank....If you find a picture of these "springy things"...I'd be interested in see them. I haven't a clue what they are.
As requested; there are some for sale on eBay right now:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-24-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Ok...I didn't know if it was some special looking thick washer or just an ordinary washer.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Frank...thanks for the picture, how weird looking!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope - just an ordinary flat washer; don't recall the dimensions - don't have a C1 to measure.
Dennis
Here's one from my '60 minus the ground strap which I still need to put back.

It measures about 1 3/8" diameter and about 5/32" thick. The bolt kit was purchased from Paragon a while back.

Dave Z

Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Ok...that looks like a plain old washer as you said.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I took of my bolts and I notice on the passenger side the hole is much bigger than the bolt going though it. Is this "normal"?

Name:  Water pump bracket.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  108.6 KB
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I took of my bolts and I notice on the passenger side the hole is much bigger than the bolt going though it. Is this "normal"?
Perfectly normal. That large hole was how the factory allowed for manufacturing tolerances in the locations of the mounts on the frame.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Correct,
Put in the drivers side bolt first.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I guess I need a thicker washer, cause when I was tightening it up, the washer started to distort down the hole.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Yes, grounding is very important, but what is equally important is understanding what the issue is (in this case radio static) and effectively addressing that issue.

I can honestly say, I don't think Chevrolet had a clue what/how to solve this problem and just started grounding everything. What they problem should have done is looked at it from a "shielding" perspective and not a grounding issue...and looking at the radio itself in how to shield the AM (amplified modulated) signal from engine noise (spikes). As was mentioned earlier...it's not so important that the frame be grounded as there isn't much connected up to it, and it's certainly not a "shield". As long as I get a decent ground to the frame from the engine, I should be good to go. However it should be noted that a good frame ground is needed to prevent static build up, specifically when your gas tank is connected directly to the frame.
Yes the fuel tank does get "mechanically" connected to the frame on your '58 via the fuel line to sender rigid fitting. When the frame line gets attached with clips to the horizontal frame rails it adds more ground points.

However, it should be noted that the later '61/'62 sender uses a rubber hose to connect the frame fuel line to the tank fuel gauge sender and must rely on the harness ground wire to complete the ground circuit.

The front and rear tank hold-down strap mounts get attached to isolated reinforcements, front and rear, riveted to the fiberglass body. Without the harness black ground wire(from the rear harness to the dash harness grounds) attached to the tank sending unit, the tank ground is isolated and floats.

That's why on those it's a good idea to add a ground from the tank sender mount screws, directly to the chassis, most commonly to the horizontal frame rail fuel line clip mount screw. Best to use a toothed washer there for that. It should be noted that adding a ground to the soft top brackets doesn't help, as those are ground isolated also. Even with the soft top latched to the windshield, there is no "direct" connection to chassis ground to those brackets. I did some experiments a while ago on my last body-off of a '60 to prove that.

Also, on the '58 to '60, there exists another sometimes forgotten ground wire. At the left rear bumper inner bracket, there's a threaded hole in the horizontal bumper bracket for the harness ground. You can barely see it under the spare tire/trunk latch fiberglass filler. It a Black wire with White tracer. BTW, this also assists with a ground reference for the tank sender as all grounds tie together in the harness.

Quite often, rust and corrosion opens up this connection making the rear lights problematic. If this happens, one has to remove the left rear bumper, then remove the horizontal bracket to then drill out the rusty screw and rethread it. Sometimes easier to just drill a new hole and thread for the screw. IIRC, it's a #8-32 screw with a toothed washer.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Unique grounding problem

Old 10-26-2014, 07:53 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Rich....thanks for all this information. Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I changed out the washer to a thicker one...no problem now. (see pic below)

I was going to put on the exhaust ones, but I can't figure out how they go on and I couldn't find any pictures in my assembly manual or on the forum. One end of the braided ground has a much bigger bolt hole than the other and I have nothing (that I can see) where the small bolt hole would connect to. Anyone have a picture?

Name:  Front engine ground.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  105.3 KB
Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

I changed out the washer to a thicker one...no problem now. (see pic below)

I was going to put on the exhaust ones, but I can't figure out how they go on and I couldn't find any pictures in my assembly manual or on the forum. One end of the braided ground has a much bigger bolt hole than the other and I have nothing (that I can see) where the small bolt hole would connect to. Anyone have a picture?

Attachment 47836189
Dennis

Here's a page from '60- AIM and a shot of the exhaust GS on the psgr side.

Dave Z

Quick Reply: 58 - Unique grounding problem