C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

shaving iron heads.....how much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default shaving iron heads.....how much?

Along with an intake manifold change out (Edelbrock EPS) I'd also like to install thinner heads gaskets for a bit more compression. I have a set of Fel Pro 1094's and was thinking to go with those.

From what I gather it is advisable to have the heads shaved to insure flatness. .. How much to shave? .. How much is considered too much before running into problems with intake manifold seating along with bolts and threads not lining up properly?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Check them with a straightedge ruler, if they are straight, clean the mating surfaces well and install. The 1094's have a Viton coating for sealant.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

If you're going to use thinner head gaskets, for that matter even if you aren't, check the piston to head surface clearance in the quench area (the flat part of the piston top and the flat head surface away from the combustion chamber). The clearance with the head gasket you use should be about .040 inches.

You can usually mill .025 inch off the heads without any need to mill the intake manifold. If you want to mill off more than that, you can adjust for the new intake port position by milling the intake manifold surfaces by 0.5 to 0.7 times the amount you milled the heads (because the intake ports are at 30 to 45 degrees angle with respect to the block deck). You may have to put a same thickness spacer under the distributor to avoid interference between the oil pump drive blade on the distributor and the oil pimp drive shaft. It would be a good idea to check piston to valve clearance after milling particularly if you have a big cam with a lot of valve overlap.

Just be aware that some original head castings didn't have much metal on the deck surface. It's too easy to mill into a water jacket or make the head so thin it will warp or crack from heat expansion.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Along with an intake manifold change out (Edelbrock EPS) I'd also like to install thinner heads gaskets for a bit more compression. I have a set of Fel Pro 1094's and was thinking to go with those.

From what I gather it is advisable to have the heads shaved to insure flatness. .. How much to shave? .. How much is considered too much before running into problems with intake manifold seating along with bolts and threads not lining up properly?

Thanks
There are no thinner head gaskets than the original steel shim gaskets which are .019" - .021" thick I believe.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Felpro 1094=.015"
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default But doing that!

Originally Posted by Avispa
If you're going to use thinner head gaskets, for that matter even if you aren't, check the piston to head surface clearance in the quench area (the flat part of the piston top and the flat head surface away from the combustion chamber). The clearance with the head gasket you use should be about .040 inches.

You can usually mill .025 inch off the heads without any need to mill the intake manifold. If you want to mill off more than that, you can adjust for the new intake port position by milling the intake manifold surfaces by 0.5 to 0.7 times the amount you milled the heads (because the intake ports are at 30 to 45 degrees angle with respect to the block deck). You may have to put a same thickness spacer under the distributor to avoid interference between the oil pump drive blade on the distributor and the oil pimp drive shaft. It would be a good idea to check piston to valve clearance after milling particularly if you have a big cam with a lot of valve overlap.

Just be aware that some original head castings didn't have much metal on the deck surface. It's too easy to mill into a water jacket or make the head so thin it will warp or crack from heat expansion.
I would take out the grinder and post match things, if you minimum mill the heads (clean up mill), would be all I would add to this excellent advise!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-22-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

I usually have the shop take a very light cut on the heads, .003 will show if you have any high or low spots and you can decide what to do from there. Unless you are talking about Angle cutting for more compression, if that is the case sealing will be difficult.
I have seen the heads clean 100% with .003 and I have seen it take .007 to .010 but then you know they are perfect. Make sure the shop you choose has great equipment.
If they tell you the job will be done on a belt sander take your parts and RUN.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default And if you can't find a good machine shop!

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I usually have the shop take a very light cut on the heads, .003 will show if you have any high or low spots and you can decide what to do from there. Unless you are talking about Angle cutting for more compression, if that is the case sealing will be difficult.
I have seen the heads clean 100% with .003 and I have seen it take .007 to .010 but then you know they are perfect. Make sure the shop you choose has great equipment.
If they tell you the job will be done on a belt sander take your parts and RUN.
Get a Cylinder Head sized piece of emory cloth on a truly flat table!

Just Kidding!

PS if anyone hints that they have done this, you are banned!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Felpro 1094=.015"
I should have been more specific and said: "not thinner enough to make an appreciable difference in SCR". In a 327 build, this makes a 10.54:1 engine a 10.66:1 engine, which is less than the margin of error between cylinders.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

The pistons are flat tops. With the thinner head gasket and shaving the heads it looks like doing this would be worthwhile to gain about .5 in compression ratio. Not expecting any cam lift issues as it's an LT-1. I'll check clearances to make sure.

Thanks, guys.

Get notified of new replies

To shaving iron heads.....how much?

Quick Reply: shaving iron heads.....how much?