C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Default Question

I want to use a remote start button to bump the starter for installing points. The first lead is for the battery, Can I use the wire from the balast resistor to the starter for the second hook up. It logical but sometimes that doesn't mean a thing.

TIA

Joe
Every ride in am old car is a test drive.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ah53
I want to use a remote start button to bump the starter for installing points. The first lead is for the battery, Can I use the wire from the balast resistor to the starter for the second hook up. It logical but sometimes that doesn't mean a thing.

TIA

Joe
Every ride in am old car is a test drive.
1 lead: batt pos
2 lead: heavy red wire from switch to starter

Easier to break into the harness on the firewall rather than crawl underneath and clip onto the starter lug
Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
1 lead: batt pos
2 lead: heavy red wire from switch to starter

Easier to break into the harness on the firewall rather than crawl underneath and clip onto the starter lug
I believe that the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid "S" terminal is purple.

A word of caution from Chevrolet: "Whenever the engine is cranked remotely at the starter, with a special jumper cable or other means, the primary distributor lead must be disconnected from the negative post on the coil and the ignition switch must be in the "ON" position. Failure to do this will result in a damaged grounding circuit in the ignition switch."

Chevrolet Service Manual Section 6M-11 "Engine Fuel"

I have used remote starters on many cars without doing the above, and did not see any damage. Maybe I was just lucky. FWIW.

Larry
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
I believe that the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid "S" terminal is purple.

A word of caution from Chevrolet: "Whenever the engine is cranked remotely at the starter, with a special jumper cable or other means, the primary distributor lead must be disconnected from the negative post on the coil and the ignition switch must be in the "ON" position. Failure to do this will result in a damaged grounding circuit in the ignition switch."

Chevrolet Service Manual Section 6M-11 "Engine Fuel"

I have used remote starters on many cars without doing the above, and did not see any damage. Maybe I was just lucky. FWIW.

Larry
I didn't refer to the schematic, but when I broke into the harness to install a spade connector on the lead in question, it is red. Maybe turns to purple before exiting. Mine is a LL harness, so that is a possibility. Maybe they were low on ppl wire the day they made my harness.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Thank you both for the info. I've also never followed the service instructions on other cars but will on the vette. I don't need to create work. I find more than enough.

Joe
Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Your remote switch needs to connect to a hot +12V terminal on one side, and to the 14 ga. purple wire connected to the starter solenoid "S" terminal on the other side. Manual transmission C2s have a connector in the engine wire harness about where the ballast resistor is located. Disconnect that plug and connect your remote switch to the passenger side of that connector. You DO need to disconnect the 18 ga pink wire from the coil terminal or the engine will try to start when you bump the starter, This is because the 18 ga pink wire has a connection to the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid and this terminal is hot when the starter solenoid is engaged.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:49 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for their help. In the end I disconnected the wire from the distributor to the coil, and the high tension coil wire also. Hooked the button to the battery terminal at the horn relay and to the plug that Avispa suggested; turned on the key as suggest, pushed the button and bumped the distributor. It all went perfect.
New cap, rotor points wires and the car is purring.

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Question

Quick Reply: Question