C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A6 A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Greg A Crawford
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 A/C compressor

Anyone know where I should get my A6 compressor rebuilt? It's slinging oil on the hood from the front seal. I know this is a common problem but I heard that a ceramic front seal was the best fix.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Greg A Crawford
Anyone know where I should get my A6 compressor rebuilt? It's slinging oil on the hood from the front seal. I know this is a common problem but I heard that a ceramic front seal was the best fix.

Best fix? Replace the front seal. I think it can be done on the car and there is a sticky on the front page of the forum to show you (or someone who can do it) how. No need to rebuild an otherwise operational & quiet A6.

The aforementioned notwithstanding, A6 compressors sling oil, new seal or old. A new seal will attenuate it but not eliminate it. If you are concerned about fiberglass contamination get yourself a shield from one of the Corvette parts suppliers, Zip, Paragon and the like.

Danny Plotkin
Old 10-24-2014, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can find that guy's phone number I talked with you about if needed. Just let me know.

As far as I know...the one he did for Jim is not leaking a drop.

DUB
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DUB
As far as I know...the one he did for Jim is not leaking a drop
DUB

They never typically leak, they permit a fine mist. It is normal. They all do it to some degree. When they are shot, they spray.

Dan
Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default A-6

If you don't want to rebuild the compressor, call Classic Auto Air in Tampa. They are local for me and do nice work. Also, get a cover for the compressor so you don't ruin your hood. Jerry
Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
If you don't want to rebuild the compressor, call Classic Auto Air in Tampa. They are local for me and do nice work. Also, get a cover for the compressor so you don't ruin your hood. Jerry
I used to always recommend them, but I have heard of some issues lately with their work. I still think they can/will do a good job………but the best I know is a guy out in California. He is my choice for any A6 work. I have been recommending him to others for over a year or more.

However, as other have said, get the tools and do they job yourself. The video by 62Jeff is outstanding. If you do the work yourself, you will not be tied to someone who MAY have the time or skills. If you have factory AC car, you really need to be able to service it yourself. The Chevrolet factory service manual also has a lot of excellent info and troubleshooting details.

Larry
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 AM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I had them "rebuild" my A6 compressor. When I got it back, it still leaked. This is what I found when I took it apart.

This is your front seal. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is the original old metal seal. No wonder it leaked. I seriously doubt they ever took it apart. I paid a few hundred dollars for their rebuild. Or, maybe I should say their repaint. I'll take a pass on Classic Auto Air.

You need some special tools, but you can replace the seals yourself.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Larry is right on, as usual

If you plan on being a long-term owner of an A/C car, you really should equip yourself to do service and repair work on your system.

You can buy all the proper hand tools for basic compressor work for under $200. PM me and I can point you to some sources.

A set of gauges, a vacuum pump and few other goodies like a leak sniffer will end your dependence on finding a competent shop.

Plus, you will understand what's going on and be able to monitor your system's health. It's not really that mysterious --just different.

Mike
Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Powershift
…but the best I know is a guy out in California. He is my choice for any A6 work. I have been recommending him to others for over a year or more.
YES....I know of who you are referencing here . He is in Palm Springs.

DUB
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
cspiteri
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES....I know of who you are referencing here . He is in Palm Springs.

DUB
Please provide me with his contact information. My A-6 is in need of front seal replacement.
You can PM me or post it on this forum.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:39 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
. If you are concerned about fiberglass contamination get yourself a shield from one of the Corvette parts suppliers, Zip, Paragon and the like.

Danny Plotkin
At present, I'm not sure any of the vendors you mention are selling the oil sling shield. I just bought one a few weeks ago from Eckler's. I checked the other folks you mentioned, and a couple of the other usual suspects, but Eckler's was the only place I found it.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by SI67
At present, I'm not sure any of the vendors you mention are selling the oil sling shield. I just bought one a few weeks ago from Eckler's. I checked the other folks you mentioned, and a couple of the other usual suspects, but Eckler's was the only place I found it.
This thread contains the name and email of the guy (Kevin) who designed the compressor shield. I helped him with the prototype a few years back.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-hood-2.html

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 10-28-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cspiteri
Please provide me with his contact information. My A-6 is in need of front seal replacement.
You can PM me or post it on this forum.
Will do. I will look for that information tomorrow and let you know.

DUB
Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Volunteer Vette in Knoxville, TN has the shields. Super great guys to work with and they ship same day.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:50 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Domenic Talleteria over on the NCRS website is the Palm Springs Ca. man. A great honest man to deal with. No fooling around. I got ripped off by Classic Auto Air in Tampa. They would not honor their warranty--told me it needed more driving. It leaked badly from the start. Definitely will not do any more business with them or recommend them.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Greg, a correction on spelling on Dom's last name. It should be Tallarita
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 59vetteman
Domenic Talleteria over on the NCRS website is the Palm Springs Ca. man. A great honest man to deal with. No fooling around. I got ripped off by Classic Auto Air in Tampa. They would not honor their warranty--told me it needed more driving. It leaked badly from the start. Definitely will not do any more business with them or recommend them.
EXACTLY...saves me from having to type it out.

In my opinion..I would NOT waste my time with any other place. He IS a stand up guy.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To A6 A/C compressor

Quick Reply: A6 A/C compressor