C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

opinions on 67 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM
TPIC427
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default opinions on 67 coupe

I recently purchased a 67 coupe 327 auto ac. a lot of original paint but pretty much falling off the car. the interior is original except the carpets. under the hood is original but at some point someone rattle canned the engine compartment and engine. Because of the engine compartment and carpets it's really not a survivor but is really pretty neat as is. question is do I tidy it up a bit and leave it or jump into frame on resto. I know what's involved going the resto route dollar wise, just dont know which way I want to go. any input appreciated
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

In the end, what do you want the car to be for you? Weekend cruiser? Car show worthy? Go for a long trip / vacation in? Drive every sunny day possible?

Seems like you have something in mind already if you are thinking about it. And how about some quick pictures to show us.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Doug F.
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impossible to form an opinion without pics...

Last edited by Doug F.; 10-23-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default To Resto or not Resto

Went to the NCRS Regional in Frisco, TX today. There were some beautifully restored Corvette there, I mean super nice. In the parking lot there was a trailer for everyone of those cars. Bottom line is, if it exceptional you are probably not going to be driving it that much. Make up your mind before you start restoring.
Restore to show or restore to driver quality???
Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 951 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by TPIC427
I recently purchased a 67 coupe 327 auto ac. a lot of original paint but pretty much falling off the car. the interior is original except the carpets. under the hood is original but at some point someone rattle canned the engine compartment and engine. Because of the engine compartment and carpets it's really not a survivor but is really pretty neat as is. question is do I tidy it up a bit and leave it or jump into frame on resto. I know what's involved going the resto route dollar wise, just dont know which way I want to go. any input appreciated
Pics, and more about the options, please? ..
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by GRG
Went to the NCRS Regional in Frisco, TX today. There were some beautifully restored Corvette there, I mean super nice. In the parking lot there was a trailer for everyone of those cars. Bottom line is, if it exceptional you are probably not going to be driving it that much. Make up your mind before you start restoring.
Restore to show or restore to driver quality???
Not every one...mine was driven as were a number of the Texas cars. But, to your point, the OP needs to decide exactly why he bought this particular car and what he wants for an end result. If he wanted a driver it sounds like that's what he has...if he wants a show car it sounds like he's going to spend some money...and, if he wants a piece of garage candy (never quite got that one) he's going to spend a ton of money. And, yes, some pics would be nice.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Not every one...mine was driven as were a number of the Texas cars. But, to your point, the OP needs to decide exactly why he bought this particular car and what he wants for an end result. If he wanted a driver it sounds like that's what he has...if he wants a show car it sounds like he's going to spend some money...and, if he wants a piece of garage candy (never quite got that one) he's going to spend a ton of money. And, yes, some pics would be nice.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Yea! Post Pics!
I went to a car show last weekend and there was a Caddy there that the outside paint was its "barn find" condition. Inside, and in the engine bay, it was immaculately restored.

It kind of looked neat.

Your car though... is all... about.... you.

What do you want to do with it? I see by your info, you are in CT. Which means your roads will be salted soon and the Corvette Offseason is getting underway. Since the car is new to you, take the time to go through it, replace what needs to be replaced... do the glaring things that bug you first (after its made safe).

Then use the winter to think about your direction.

Beautifully Restored Cars are eye catching and draw crowds... no doubt.

Survivor Cars are eye catching... and draw crowds.

Well worn Vintage Corvettes that need everything, are eye catching, and draw crowds....

See a trend here?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 AM
TPIC427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revfan
Yea! Post Pics!
I went to a car show last weekend and there was a Caddy there that the outside paint was its "barn find" condition. Inside, and in the engine bay, it was immaculately restored.

It kind of looked neat.

Your car though... is all... about.... you.

What do you want to do with it? I see by your info, you are in CT. Which means your roads will be salted soon and the Corvette Offseason is getting underway. Since the car is new to you, take the time to go through it, replace what needs to be replaced... do the glaring things that bug you first (after its made safe).

Then use the winter to think about your direction.

Well worn Vintage Corvettes that need everything, are eye catching, and draw crowds....

See a trend here?
That is the way I am leaning-do the interior and engine bay but leave the paint alone. Revfan is right-It's a long winter in Ct. plenty of time to
plot the course. Will post pictures on Sunday from the toys for tots cruise
Old 10-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Doug F.
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revfan

...Then use the winter to think about your direction.

See a trend here?
Wise counsel here... Don't rush into anything. They are only original once. A survivor is a survivor regardless of the NCRS "definition".

Act in Haste - Repent at Leisure
Old 10-30-2014, 01:56 PM
TPIC427
Instructor

Why would this be moved to the for sale forum? I was just seeking opinions on what to do with my car.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

My advice: Fix everything on the car from a mechanical standpoint so its safe and roadworthy. Drive it. If you don't like what you look at restore that part. Drive it. Fix restore 1 part Drive it.

I planned to restore or fix one thing during each winter with my 67 vert goodwood green l79 white walls rallye rims. I just did paint, next winter is engine or next next winter. DRIVE IT.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
TPIC427
Instructor

That is exactly what I decided. I am going to clean up the interior a bit and then attack the AC . Mechanically everything seems fine and I am enjoying it just as it sits
Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

That is exactly what I decided. I am going to clean up the interior a bit and then attack the AC . Mechanically everything seems fine and I am enjoying it just as it sits
Good choice! Drive it as much as you can before winter hits, clean and learn about the car, fix what's broken, resume driving in the spring.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug F.
A survivor is a survivor regardless of the NCRS "definition".
NCRS doesn't have any definition for survivor.

Bloomington Gold does, though.

Cool car, OP.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Is the guy in the picture looking at the paint burninig on the hood from the reflection of the air cleaner?
Why would this be moved to the for sale forum? I was just seeking opinions on what to do with my car.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:04 AM
TPIC427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale
Is the guy in the picture looking at the paint burninig on the hood from the reflection of the air cleaner?
too late -the paint burnt off many years ago. I did cover the air cleaner on my convertible sitting next to it !

Get notified of new replies

To opinions on 67 coupe

Quick Reply: opinions on 67 coupe