C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bad Brake Hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:49 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Bad Brake Hose

Well, I've heard of brake hoses collapsing and blocking the flow but I have never seen it happen.... until now. My '67 was pulling BADLY to the right when first hitting the brakes so I decided to replace all the calipers, pads and hoses since the last time I replaced the calipers was almost 30 years ago. I had used silicone fluid and up until recently, the brakes worked well. When I pulled the left rear hose off, I could not force ANY air through it with an air nozzle at 100 PSI. I put one end in a cup of water and applied air to the other end. NO bubbles. I couldn't even force a fine brazing rod all the way through the hose! The right rear would bubble slowly. That might explain the pull to the right!

I honestly don't know how old the hoses were but the message here is that the hoses are not that expensive so when doing a brake job, consider new hoses!!

Steve

Last edited by 67*427; 10-25-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I always tell people just because the hose may LOOK ok that doesn't mean it IS ok. They often "hour glass" internally and deteriorate unseen....
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I always tell people just because the hose may LOOK ok that doesn't mean it IS ok. They often "hour glass" internally and deteriorate unseen....
Apparently so. I was amazed that 100 PSI air would push NO bubbles through.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Brake Hose

Quick Reply: Bad Brake Hose