C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help: 64 Drum Brake Adjustment / Star Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Help: 64 Drum Brake Adjustment / Star Wheel

Been trying to adjust the drum brakes using the key hole slot on the drum.

Can someone confirm that the star wheel on both left and right sides expands the shoes towards the drum when the star is turned and you hear the clicking sound?

I know that you can use a second screw driver and put a little pressure (lift) on the small plate the prevents the star wheel from going the other direction. I can look into the key hole with a flash light and see the plate that prevents the star wheel from reversing.

Seems my star wheel is npw turning very hard....... after it turned very easy initially. Currently, I cannot turn the drum because I think the star wheel is too tight and the pads are against the inner drum.... and the star wheel is very hard to turn back the other direction even with the plate lifted to allow the star wheel to turn. I can keep trying to turn the star wheel back to contract the pads but would like to know if there is something I am doing wrong before I continue.

The star wheels on the other 3 drum brakes work fine and the car was restored about 6 years ago and everything is neat and clean from what I can see without taking the drum off.

Any Suggestions!

Thanks.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Midyrman
Been trying to adjust the drum brakes using the key hole slot on the drum.

Can someone confirm that the star wheel on both left and right sides expands the shoes towards the drum when the star is turned and you hear the clicking sound?

I know that you can use a second screw driver and put a little pressure (lift) on the small plate the prevents the star wheel from going the other direction. I can look into the key hole with a flash light and see the plate that prevents the star wheel from reversing.

Seems my star wheel is npw turning very hard....... after it turned very easy initially. Currently, I cannot turn the drum because I think the star wheel is too tight and the pads are against the inner drum.... and the star wheel is very hard to turn back the other direction even with the plate lifted to allow the star wheel to turn. I can keep trying to turn the star wheel back to contract the pads but would like to know if there is something I am doing wrong before I continue.

The star wheels on the other 3 drum brakes work fine and the car was restored about 6 years ago and everything is neat and clean from what I can see without taking the drum off.

Any Suggestions!

Thanks.

Thanks.
Midyrman... If you can not turn your drums, you have the adjuster star to tight. Back the star off by turning it down just enough so when you turn your drum there is just a little drag on your brake shoes to the drum.

Bruce
Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

First off, your 64 is equipped with self adjusting brakes which is why the star wheels are facing inward and can't be accessed unless the wheel is removed. Back off on the star wheel (rotate it upwards to get the stuck wheel free). Remove the drum and inspect everything to be sure there are no problems and that the adjusters and hardware move freely. Once all is well, go find an empty parking lot and back up and stop hard several times and that should take care of the brake adjustment if everything is working correctly. Pilot Dan
Old 10-26-2014, 06:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Midyrman

Confirmed. That plate is what adjusts the star wheel. You have to hold it off the star wheel to reverse the adjustment.

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You're not doing anything wrong.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If you're messing with drum brakes get a resetting gauge. Your life will get a whole lot easier. They're under $20.00 on Amazon.com

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 10-26-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: image
Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sounds like he can get to the star wheel from the rear slot - he's doing it.

I've used the same procedure for 4+ decades. Tighten the adjuster until you can't turn the tire with one hand then back off 8 clicks. Yes, its a PITA to back things off with that lock plate but you can lift it with the screwdriver and still get at the star wheel with a brake spoon.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-26-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Thanks

Got the star wheel moving again and drum unlocked.

Thank you all.

May have more questions later...

Get notified of new replies

To Help: 64 Drum Brake Adjustment / Star Wheel

Quick Reply: Help: 64 Drum Brake Adjustment / Star Wheel