C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Racing slicks for C2 size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Racing slicks for C2 size?

Does anyone know what size racing slick tires would fit on a stock C2? I have the 7.75 x 15's on my '66 now, and I don't want to risk any damage to the wheel wells. I just want to be able to get the big block to hook up at a nostalgia drag race once in a while. I saw these on Coker Tire's site that are 7" wide x 15 - http://www.cokertire.com/vintage-drag-slick-900-15.html These appear to be the smallest width slick available.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Ken,

Those slicks look they would do the trick.
I'd probably give Coker Tire a call and talk to them about fit problems.
It does say it will fit a 7 inch rim.
I wonder how tall they are? Less than 27 inches in height should do it.

BFG also makes a drag radial in the correct size for your tires I believe.

Good Luck,
65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
Ken,

Those slicks look they would do the trick.
I'd probably give Coker Tire a call and talk to them about fit problems.
It does say it will fit a 7 inch rim.
I wonder how tall they are? Less than 27 inches in height should do it.

BFG also makes a drag radial in the correct size for your tires I believe.

Good Luck,
65-StingRay
Wayne
I'll look them up on BFG. I didn't check Hoosier either. I'd be satisfied with a used set, since I'm only going to run them once a year! Thanks Wayne.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

MT ET Street (Drag) Radials, 235-60-15, fit nicely on 7" rims and got me solidly into the 11s.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

We've all heard way back not to mix bias ply tires with radials on the street. So it is a problem using drag radials on the rear, at the track, while keeping the repro bias ply's up front?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Ken, what tires are you running now ??

I have seen sub 1.6 sixty foot times on a F70-15 bias ply tire.......... maybe that is the way to go.

also, check out dragvette.com for half shaft and drive shaft safety loops...... and for God's sake tell us about your car and how fast you plan to go
Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Question

Do you want to win or just put on a show?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Do you want to win or just put on a show?
Both. This is an NCRS Top Flight, one owner, '66 427/390 4 spd that my brother bought new. He passed away almost a year ago and now I own it and show it. And it wins consistently in that arena.

It's completely stock (original exhaust, suspension, chrome, interior,etc) with Coker 7.75x15 bias ply repro tires. I plan on replacing those anyway, for better traction and driveability, with white wall radials. But this car has never been down the quarter mile in it's life time. Out of 12 previous Corvettes, I used to own a '66 427/425 back in the '80's, and ran those original skinny bicycle tires. Of course, traction was non existent until I hit 3rd gear and dry track. So I just want to bolt on a set of drag radials to see this one run at it's maximum (stock) potential once in a while. With my brother watching and smiling.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Uhm!

I am kind of torn on giving direction. First I have seen racing slicks break parts, but it sounds like you have stock fenders. Ok the torn part-- since you said this would be the first time, I was thinking nostalgic route and someone makes 1960's cheater recap slicks like what you would find on a max wedge Mopar or T-Bolt. I always like to see a car run in period correct parts and trim etc. and see what it would do while doing period rubber correct smoky burn-out!

If you are going modern, there are alot of choices and I would now have to check as to who has wheel well fitting rubber!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:14 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I recommend attending your local drag strip STOCK! While there, look for people SELLING drag slicks or drag radials. Ask for a FREE trip down the strip on them, or ask if you can RENT them for one run. What you don't need for one or two runs is to buy and own a set of wheels and race tires. Um...........................I bet Donny Brass would not only loan you his, but would even DRIVE it down the strip for ya Look for about 14.2 seconds at 102mph on street tires, or (maybe) 13.8 or so at 105mph on slicks.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

I think I will try some runs on the stock tires. I did it 25 years ago with my '66 L72 and factory 4:11 gears. And I was running that rebuilt motor with L36 10.25:1 pistons in it instead of the factory 11:1's. I still took a '67 tri-power, with the same rear, flared wheel wells/60 tires, and the rare aluminum heads - by 6 car lengths (he was in my vette club and I knew the car). I ran consistent 106+ mph, but at 14 sec E.T.'s since I couldn't get traction until almost mid track. I plan on replacing the tires with safer radials next spring anyway, so why not smoke 'em!
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:07 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

The 235/60/15 MT ET Street drag radials will work fine and drive nice with the bias plies up front. You can run radials on the rear with bias plies on the front, you CAN NOT run radial fronts and bias ply rears, that will get you in trouble. I race my z06 with bias fronts and radial rears and it tracks straight as an aero at 152 mph in the 1/4.

I would be leary about breaking u joints/half shafts though if it still has original parts in it..... I would be equally as concerned about wrecking a $100k car trying to race it on stock tires/blowing them off until mid track. I'd get some drag radials and just leave real smooth/easy on it..then nail it about a car length out..

I love seeing mid year vettes going down the strip!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:01 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajrothm
The 235/60/15 MT ET Street drag radials will work fine and drive nice with the bias plies up front. You can run radials on the rear with bias plies on the front, you CAN NOT run radial fronts and bias ply rears, that will get you in trouble. I race my z06 with bias fronts and radial rears and it tracks straight as an aero at 152 mph in the 1/4.

I would be leary about breaking u joints/half shafts though if it still has original parts in it..... I would be equally as concerned about wrecking a $100k car trying to race it on stock tires/blowing them off until mid track. I'd get some drag radials and just leave real smooth/easy on it..then nail it about a car length out..

EXCELLENT information and advice. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ajrothm

My only worry would be the age if the tires, if they are old, don't do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing slicks for C2 size?

Quick Reply: Racing slicks for C2 size?