C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Plugs and plug wire question

Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Plugs and plug wire question

I know someone on here will know the answer to this question. I want to go through bowtie judging on my 66 327 300hp coupe. I need to get the right plugs and wires. My question is do I need to order these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-A-C-GM-Spark-Plugs-Fire-Ring-44-GREEN-STRIPES-Box-of-8-1559492-/261641693937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ceb0f6af1&vxp=mtr or can I get these http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...-green-stripe/

Also on the plug wires can I just order them from Zips date coded or am I gonna have to find actual original ones and if so where would I find these besides ebay?

thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Bowtie is for unrestored, original cars. If the factory installed wires and plugs are gone, they're gone. Any attempt to restore the car will count against you, possibly leading to disqualification.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 571 Likes on 306 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Don't replace anything that can be judged. It is only original once. You must declare any item you replaced or know that was replaced for judging. I just went through this with my 62 at the National Convention..
Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It's either orginal to the car or not Condition has nothing to do with it. It's all yes or no
Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Bowtie is for unrestored, original cars. If the factory installed wires and plugs are gone, they're gone. Any attempt to restore the car will count against you, possibly leading to disqualification.
He has a 44 year old Corvette missing ,Original plugs and that's called being restored???? Has the water been replaced ,Oil, oil filter, air filter , tires, air in the tires replaced , chances are the car has been washed with water in the last 44 years too." Your Disqualified" and if you drive your Corvette (first flight yea!) again get real!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
He has a 44 year old Corvette missing ,Original plugs and that's called being restored???? Has the water been replaced ,Oil, oil filter, air filter , tires, air in the tires replaced , chances are the car has been washed with water in the last 44 years too." Your Disqualified" and if you drive your Corvette (first flight yea!) again get real!
Roy, You could at least make a minimum effort to moderate your contempt for the NCRS. It's never too late to learn the rules- maybe that would help with your anger problem too.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
I know someone on here will know the answer to this question. I want to go through bowtie judging on my 66 327 300hp coupe. I need to get the right plugs and wires. My question is do I need to order these ..
You need to get the 8th Edition NCRS Corvette Judging Reference Manual and read up on the prerequisites and requirements for the Star/Bowtie awards, which are for unrestored original cars. You can't "build" a Star/Bowtie car - anything you change/alter/replace from the part the car was born with will count against you.

"Redbird" just achieved a Star in each of the four categories, earning the Bowtie award for his '62 in July - he can tell you what that involved.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I understand the original aspect, but if you are telling me people have not replaced plugs and wires after 50 years then I think there are a bunch of liars out there. I only am missing the plugs and wires and was told by a big NCRS person to get them before having it judged. Other than that my water pump was replaced under GM warranty. All my belts and hoses are original although we are replacing the upper radiator hose because it's about to wear through. I didn't realize I'm the only person in the world to ever think of finding original AC 44 plugs and put back in the car. I wonder why they even sell on ebay? Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

You're missing the point. Bowtie judging is for untouched, unrestored cars and each of it's components and assemblies. It's understood that stuff gets replaced over the years, plugs and HT leads included. Making attempts to find correct repro stuff gets you no credit, trying to install stuff that is original but from another car is cheating.

There's a story about an FI unit expert who was not just restoring a unit but attempting to age it to fool the Bowtie judges. Not nice, and defeats the whole purpose of the award.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default The way I am reading this!

You blew it by posting what you were missing! Guys, don't do that!

Now darn it, you have to bribe someone, or marry their ugly daughter!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-29-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I'm not trying to cheat anyone. Maybe I just didn't understand. I can get the right stuff, put it on and then admit to what I did and that should be accepted because I made it right, but it's honest and I will not get the points.

Once again though when I have people who have been in NCRS since the 70's telling me to do it I think we all can agree it gets done all the time. I was told it will pass the way it is under the hood, interior and should pass on paint. A very original car. Just all that darn undercoating!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Judge??

I'm not trying to cheat anyone. Maybe I just didn't understand. I can get the right stuff, put it on and then admit to what I did and that should be accepted because I made it right, but it's honest and I will not get the points.

Once again though when I have people who have been in NCRS since the 70's telling me to do it I think we all can agree it gets done all the time. I was told it will pass the way it is under the hood, interior and should pass on paint. A very original car. Just all that darn undercoating!
It's your car, not theirs. Do what you feel is right,proper, and safe...and enjoy the ride. Or, make it a museum piece to get a dust collector. My 2 cents. Best...
Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I think you're still very misinformed about Bowtie Judging or are confusing it with Flight Judging. John made an excellent suggestion above about getting the books and reading them.

Leave whatever plugs and wires you've got now. Changing them serves no purpose.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Bowtie

OP, prior to submitting your car for Bowtie, you should attend an NCRS event which has a car that is entered in Bowtie judging. See the process from start to finish...volunteer to help or observe. Once you understand the process, it will be easier for you to make decisions.

And yes , I agree, I would stop posting all the issues or missing parts off the car. Some of us are very involved in NCRS and have actually been involved in Bowtie judging.

And be advised, no one can predict if a car will pass.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like advice.
Boyan
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Jason,
I have a pair of 62 4-star bowtie cars, and had a 71 3-star. I also headed the very first team to ever do bowtie judging, at Warren in 1992. I'd be happy to give whatever guidance/input that might be helpful. My 300hp 4-star has one "Belden" brand plug wire, and the other 7 are the original dated wires. I left them untouched. You have a beautiful car--we've seen too many messed up by well-meaning owners. I don't know what a "big NCRS" person is, but there is no lack of people wanting to tell you what to do to/with your car. You would do well to be in contact with NCRS people who have more than a passing knowledge of the bowtie process.
Regards,
Mike
Old 11-02-2014, 03:43 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Roy, You could at least make a minimum effort to moderate your contempt for the NCRS. It's never too late to learn the rules- maybe that would help with your anger problem too.
I have no contempt for NCRS but the rules change so often with each new issue of the JM, that it becomes less and less about the enjoyment of entering a Corvette but about the money. I know NCRS sets the rules of what a Corvette should be in any award . It's not just NCRS but ,Ford, chevys, Hudson or any car club that set the rules . Like I always say ,you ether play their game or get out!. And if anyone criticizes any thing their called a hatter of that organization.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
I have no contempt for NCRS but the rules change so often with each new issue of the JM, that it becomes less and less about the enjoyment of entering a Corvette but about the money. I know NCRS sets the rules of what a Corvette should be in any award . It's not just NCRS but ,Ford, chevys, Hudson or any car club that set the rules . Like I always say ,you ether play their game or get out!. And if anyone criticizes any thing their called a hatter of that organization.
There's no JM (Judging Manuals) in Bowtie judging nor has their been any rule changes as far as I know.

Like I said, it's never too late to learn these things.

Get notified of new replies

To Plugs and plug wire question

Old 11-02-2014, 06:16 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Well as luck would have it I knew where the original wires went. I stopped by last Thursday and the garage owner kind of hesitated for a second when I asked him about them (I had stopped by there a year ago). I knew he had tried to get the original owner to keep them, but didn't. He might just have them because he knew there importance, so I'm supposed to check with him tomorrow to see if he can locate them. So this might be mute, but I still will not have the plugs. I also had to replace the upper radiator hose, but still have the original. It's still functional, but it will not last much longer.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

So you're saying you might have the original, 48-49 year old wires? That's rare.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bow tie ???

I know someone on here will know the answer to this question. I want to go through bowtie judging on my 66 327 300hp coupe. I need to get the right plugs and wires. My question is do I need to order these A C GM Spark Plugs Fire Ring 44 Green Stripes Box of 8 1559492 | eBay or can I get these http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...-green-stripe/

Also on the plug wires can I just order them from Zips date coded or am I gonna have to find actual original ones and if so where would I find these besides ebay?

thanks
This "bow tie " 3, 4, 5, 10 stars and such nonsense is way over the top. They are virtual trailer queens, if this is what one wants or enjoys, that's fine. Just remember, original condition will not last forever. Then what.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plugs and plug wire question