C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

pertronix ignitor iii - OK for dual point dist

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pertronix ignitor iii - OK for dual point dist

I am troubleshooting some engine issues and want to make sure the Ignitor iii I installed would work just fine in my '61 FI, dual point distributor car. Just second guessing but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

One solid state would replace a dual point system, right?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:22 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I haven't worked with a Pertronix unit, but

A dual point mechanically extends the ignition spark and the capacitive discharge units do the same triggered off of a single point trigger, thus I feel the second point firing will screw you up if this pertronics functions like the MSD that I am used to!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

As TC Racing has said....don't try to run 2 units. I have a Pertronix in several cars and the Ignitor 3 with their 0.32 ohm coil puts out plenty of spark energy! I do an additional step and put a dab of silicone sealant on the rev limiter adjuster screw after I have confirmed the engine shut off point in the car. I plan on running an Ignitor 3 unit in my vintage Fuelly race car when I get that project completed. If your going to run an Ignitor 3 I would also go for the Pertronix 7mm spiral core ignition wires to carry that spark energy.....a rag soaked in lacquer thinner will remove the white lettering on the plug wires making for a more stock vintage look
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The Pertronix is a Hall cell and not a capacitive discharge setup. It will work just fine and has in my '61 dual point distributor. The dual points were a contrivance to extend dwell time. It was dropped in later years and deemed unnecessary - no particular 'magic' with the setup.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-31-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips and information everyone!

Solid, I'm going to try that idea with removing the white lettering

Get notified of new replies

To pertronix ignitor iii - OK for dual point dist

Quick Reply: pertronix ignitor iii - OK for dual point dist