C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 expansion tank repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Meister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 expansion tank repair

Hi all,

While disconecting the baterry on my 66 for winter storage the hose going into/coming from the expasion tank fell off in my hand. As it was not a correctly dated tank I found a used (dated) one on ebay and picked it up. I didn't notice that the new tank I bought was missing the little tube for the overflow hose where the cap screws into.

Thus my question is how to repair or fit a new tube into the tank? I could try to get the tube out/off my old tank but I don't know if it's solder in... pressed in... Or has anyone sourced the correctly sized diameter tube and soldered or welded a new one on?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

DeWitts radiators ( forum sponsor ) has the original GM Harrison tooling and can supply date coded tanks why not give them some business and extend the life of your Vette?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister
Hi all,

While disconecting the baterry on my 66 for winter storage the hose going into/coming from the expasion tank fell off in my hand. As it was not a correctly dated tank I found a used (dated) one on ebay and picked it up. I didn't notice that the new tank I bought was missing the little tube for the overflow hose where the cap screws into.

Thus my question is how to repair or fit a new tube into the tank? I could try to get the tube out/off my old tank but I don't know if it's solder in... pressed in... Or has anyone sourced the correctly sized diameter tube and soldered or welded a new one on?

Thanks
Had the same problem with my 63. I thought about repairing my tank. Just decided to buy a dated new one from DeWitts. I'm glad I did. It looks good and no problems. morly1963
Old 10-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Meister
Intermediate

I didn't think of looking for suppliers who I could get a "new" dated one from. Just went the ebay route. Guess I'll check them out.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Agree with the above recommendations. The dated DeWitts expansion tank is also available through suppliers like Paragon, so you can take advantage of “Stick With Us” or other discounts. I got one through Paragon in July 2013 for $175.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 10-31-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
abe g
Racer

Default overflow tank nipple missing

If the tank is otherwise in good condition, I would repair that missing part. There is no pressure to worry about as its an overflow to rubber line. I would press fit a matching tube (cut to fit)and reinforce with JB weld.Regards, Abe G

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 expansion tank repair

Quick Reply: 1966 expansion tank repair