C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 A-Frame Dust Seal installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM
blueman166
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1966 A-Frame Dust Seal installation

Can anyone help me with a method, tool , etc. that I can use to get the seal (shield) installed with the stapes that came with it?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by blueman166
Can anyone help me with a method, tool , etc. that I can use to get the seal (shield) installed with the stapes that came with it?
Tape new shields in place. Drill holes in shields using the existing holes in fiberglass to locate. (Drill from the wheel well side) Don't use the stainless staples that come with the shields, make your own from a spool of steel wire, (something softer) bend them to size with needle nose, insert from inside of engine compartment and fold over in the wheel well. BTW, it's much easier if the engine is out.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Here is a link to an article by Dave Zuberer you might find helpful.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...ingstaples.pdf
Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Snake
Tape new shields in place. Drill holes in shields using the existing holes in fiberglass to locate. (Drill from the wheel well side) Don't use the stainless staples that come with the shields, make your own from a spool of steel wire, (something softer) bend them to size with needle nose, insert from inside of engine compartment and fold over in the wheel well. BTW, it's much easier if the engine is out.

Guys, is there an actual tool to use the stainless steel staples that are supplied? Not to highjack this, but am doing the same thing as the OP and would like to use these staples.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
Guys, is there an actual tool to use the stainless steel staples that are supplied? Not to highjack this, but am doing the same thing as the OP and would like to use these staples.
No produced tool that I'm aware of. Remember that the original staples were not stainless and are black after the engine compartment is blacked out. So the bare metal does not show. Plus if you have your car judged, most judges check the staples with a magnet to insure they are not magnetic.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
Forget the hard stainless ones - make your own with a pair of pliers and a blister-pack roll of 16-ga. steel wire (hardware store item).
Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Forget the hard stainless ones - make your own with a pair of pliers and a blister-pack roll of 16-ga. steel wire (hardware store item).
John I sure could have used that advice about 15 years ago when I was restoring a 1964 Impala! Since the replacement dust shields came with stainless staples that's what I used, I didn't know any better at the time. It took two of us about 2 hours per side to install them. Each staple had to be hand set and carefully folded over, using a hammer, punch and a bucking bar to simulate the stapled, bent side. Those stainless steel staples are a royal pain in the A$$!!

Thomas
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ

Guys still sticking my nose in the OP's post: So I took my old rubber guards off today, pulled and cleaned up the inner fenders are under with some mineral spirits, and then some acetone. I did as suggested and bought a roll of 16 gauge wire and I see how much easier it will be to use this. My questions are: Was a sealing adhesive used with these originally (looks like no...)? Also, what type of under fender coating is used on the exterior part (not the flap, but the fender)....and is it available in a can?

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 A-Frame Dust Seal installation

Quick Reply: 1966 A-Frame Dust Seal installation