C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Turn signal stalk

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 AM
msk914
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn signal stalk

When I pulled my cluster, the steering column was taken out of the way, per the directions. The cluster is about to go back, but there was one problem with the steering column when we took it out: The turn signal stalk just kind of fell out of the column. It came out with one screw, it needs to get screwed back in. (It always felt very loose, moving the column was the last straw.) I've read the various articles here and in the manual about the steering column, but I have a question: Do I need to get a puller to get the column apart enough to put the turn signal stalk back in? Or can the column be moved apart where the stalk goes back in without pulling it apart?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure of your year but you will have to pull the steering wheel hub to get to the screw that holds that directional handle in.

Don
Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 PM
msk914
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Not sure of your year but you will have to pull the steering wheel hub to get to the screw that holds that directional handle in.

Don
Don,

It is a '65. Thanks for the quick response.

Mark
Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You'll have to remove the large nut and pull the hub. I was able to pull mine without a puller, but if it's not been off for a while, buy a small puller. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight for a few dollars that will work fine. The stalk is held on by a single Phillips screw.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
msk914
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You'll have to remove the large nut and pull the hub. I was able to pull mine without a puller, but if it's not been off for a while, buy a small puller. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight for a few dollars that will work fine. The stalk is held on by a single Phillips screw.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

The problem with your turn signal stalk is likely the 4 ears on the top of the steering column tube are broken off (a common problem). Once you pull the steering wheel, and remove the steering shaft if will be apparent. Pilot Dan
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 AM
msk914
Instructor

Pulling the hub waited until the dash cluster was back together, which it is, and everything works, so we then attached the steering column back, so we could then use a puller to get the hub out. I guessed right on one broken part, the cam which cancels the turn signal, so a new one is back in place now, but I could not see into the column well enough until the hub was pulled to know which other part was bad. It was the turn signal switch, but only the part which actually swivels. It looks like someone once glued it, yikes. I will order the new switch, once it is back in, the car will be on the road again. Here is a picture of the two broken parts, the broken cam is on the left, the switch part which is broken is on the right.

Thanks for everyone's help. The 4 ears on the top of the column were ok.

Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad you found the problem!

Don
Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Glad it was only that small part. You got real lucky there
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

been there a few times...

hope you indexed the steering wheel, hub etc... otherwise the SW will be offset. Just make sure the hub is aligned to the shaft per original location, and the SW is exactly re-mounted on same six screws...
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
msk914
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
been there a few times...

hope you indexed the steering wheel, hub etc... otherwise the SW will be offset. Just make sure the hub is aligned to the shaft per original location, and the SW is exactly re-mounted on same six screws...
Lucky only those two parts, yes. But a pain to take apart. Hub puller needed...

We did index both the column in the engine bay and the hub with dabs of white paint. Once the turn signal switch arrives, we'll put it all back together. I am doing this with my mechanic buddy, he has done many of these before, this would have been above my ability alone.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal stalk

Quick Reply: Turn signal stalk