C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Repainting in a non-original color? Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM
JRRHINO
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Whatever makes you happy it is your car and you don't plan on selling it, although Milano Maroon with Maroon interior is sweet, rare and desired so something to think about.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:24 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Ok Serious answer

If you are torn, why don't you keep the Maroon and jazz it up some with a tasteful black accent to the hood or a stripe or something. And for the interior do something with some seat inserts or change the carpet color so you don't have so much maroon.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
'66BarnFind
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tux Black with maroon interior would drive the women CRAZY!!
Plus, black cars are hot sellers regardless of the paint code. Much easier for potential buyers to look the other way where black is concerned.

Last edited by '66BarnFind; 11-14-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Fourty four posts later (now fourty five) and as would be expected, you are not going to see any sort of consensus in opinions. It's your car, paint it how ever you want, flip a coin, let the wife decide, etc - it will be fine once you see that new paint finish and smell those new paint fumes.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Appoloosa
Got a link to more pics of your car? That is smokin!
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/...orvette-racer/
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

For what it's worth ... As a serious buyer who spent three years looking for a '65-'66 Coupe I never considered a car once I found that it had a color change. I wound up with a '66 Milano Maroon/Saddle Coupe, a fantastic combo. But I really regret that Silver Pearl/Maroon '65 Coupe that I missed out on.

Ray
Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Fourty four posts later (now fourty five) and as would be expected, you are not going to see any sort of consensus in opinions.
Not sure about that... seems we narrowed it down to either keeping it Maroon or painting it another color.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Well here is my 2 cents. I looked for a 65-66 for over a year in black. I found a nice 65 in Atlanta and it sold quick. I then found my 66 in Atanta in the summer of 11. The car was exactly what I wanted with the exception of a color change. It was painted Lazer red in a 3 stage paint. I decided to go take a look. Well the paint job on the car is incredible. I bought the car. The car has all the options of which most were added during the frame off. I have added a TKO 5 speed and R & P steering. Revfan, Hitch and Easy Rino have seen my car. The car has won Best in Show at the Cape Fear Corvette Club in Wilmington, NC. Best Paint at the Richmond Corvette Club Show in 2012. Numberous First Place awards for C2 including the Williamsburg show (more than once). Total awards near thirty in 3 years.

At the Williamsburg show I had a guy want to buy the car on the spot. He said name your price. I have had numberous other offers to buy.

So my point is, a nice car that has a color change will bring good money. IMO, the colors offered for Midyears was terrible. Most are being restored now with BCCC so the original "look" is gone. I wanted a very nice show quality driver not an NCRS perfect car that stays in a garage. Most if not all of us on this forum like driving our cars. The last 12 months I did 4 trips where I drove the car over 250 miles in one day. So my point is, value is driven by demand. There is a lot of demand for nice Midyears with lots of goodies like a/c, 5 speed, p/s, leather, knockoffs, side exhaust, teak wheel, head rests, shoulder belts and Bluetooth. I probably left a few off.

Last edited by MarkC; 11-15-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Not sure about that... seems we narrowed it down to either keeping it Maroon or painting it another color.
Yep - that's where we started and where we still are.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC

Well here is my 2 cents. I looked for a 65-66 for over a year in black. I found a nice 65 in Atlanta and it sold quick. I then found my 66 in Atanta in the summer of 11. The car was exactly what I wanted with the exception of a color change. It was painted Lazer red in a 3 stage paint. I decided to go take a look. Well the paint job on the car is incredible. I bought the car. The car has all the options of which most were added during the frame off. I have added a TKO 5 speed and R & P steering. Revfan, Hitch and Easy Rino have seen my car. The car has won Best in Show at the Cape Fear Corvette Club in Wilmington, NC. Best Paint at the Richmond Corvette Club Show in 2012. Numberous First Place awards for C2 including the Williamsburg show (more than once). Total awards near thirty in 3 years.

At the Williamsburg show I had a guy want to buy the car on the spot. He said name your price. I have had numberous other offers to buy.

So my point is, a nice car that has a color change will bring good money. IMO, the colors offered for Midyears was terrible. Most are being restored now with BCCC so the original "look" is gone. I wanted a very nice show quality driver not an NCRS perfect car that stays in a garage. Most if not all of us on this forum like driving our cars. The last 12 months I did 4 trips where I drove the car over 250 miles in one day. So my point is, value is driven by demand. There is a lot of demand for nice Midyears with lots of goodies like a/c, 5 speed, p/s, leather, knockoffs, side exhaust, teak wheel, head rests, shoulder belts and Bluetooth. I probably left a few off.
No argument here. That is a beautiful mid year. Not surprised it has won beaucoup awards.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
If you are torn, why don't you keep the Maroon and jazz it up some with a tasteful black accent to the hood or a stripe or something. And for the interior do something with some seat inserts or change the carpet color so you don't have so much maroon.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAA AAAA!!!!!!!!
TILT!
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO
Full deduct
Full deduct
Full deduct
Lost value
Lost Value
Lost value
Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Since you ask what we did with our car.
I bought the 62 on 2003. It was a driver, maroon with black interior with a later model 350 and four speed. An ex drag car with a lot of issues. Originally it was red on red with a 340 hp four speed.
I decide on making this a fun car to drive adding a five speed, JMR suspension and a ZZ4.
Our color thoughts ran from a candy tangerine, blue, purple and red. Settled on candy apple red with a silver base.
I don't regret any of the changes and the appraised value of the car has more than doubled.
But I do appreciate all the effort that fellow car lover put into havng their cars correct and own a numbers matching Z28.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Its a big ol' world... and Corvette ownership is a big tent. The sooner we realize that and embrace all Corvette brothers, the better.

For the record, I have seen, and ridden in MarkC's car. Truly, its about 66 different kinds of awesome... just like its owner!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

[QUOTE=MarkC;1588267073]

I can attest that Mark's car looks beautiful, even in a non-original color. I think that the keys are a good color and a great body with well done prep and paint. His has all of that, same as the grey car above.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:25 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I see this car at several shows each year. It sure draws a crowd and wins a lot of awards although he has so many now he is long gone at presentation time. Its a Honda motorcycle color and just awesome. I dont think he lost any value by doing it.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:23 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC

JAYSUS Mark..........that IS beautiful.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:32 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dahogan
I see this car at several shows each year. It sure draws a crowd and wins a lot of awards although he has so many now he is long gone at presentation time. Its a Honda motorcycle color and just awesome. I dont think he lost any value by doing it.

Well, heck, it's ONLY a '64! Just kidding!

-another happy '64 owner (changed from Riverside Red to Porsche Guards Red 30 years ago)

Get notified of new replies

To Repainting in a non-original color? Regrets?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks for the comments. Here is another one that is not so fuzzy.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Doug F.
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The 56 Vette and the 70 Chevelle are painted non original colors and I have NO regrets.
The red for 56-7 Vettes is Venetian Red, which is WAAAAAY to orange for my tasted (I'm not an orange fan). So I had it painted 69-70 Monza Red-------just right.

A friend's Venetian red is on the right.

I have seen your pics before and did not realize it was not venetian red. It photographs within the margin of "color reproduction error".
I always reacted positively to Riverside Red as in 64. I wonder where that fits in the red-orange continuum?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:21 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Touche and I don't have one of those french things on my keyboard!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAA AAAA!!!!!!!!
TILT!
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO
Full deduct
Full deduct
Full deduct
Lost value
Lost Value
Lost value

Quick Reply: Repainting in a non-original color? Regrets?