C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Faded Inetrior Carpet, Red 1959

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Hulou
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Faded Inetrior Carpet, Red 1959

Hello,
The Red Carpet in my 59 Corvette is faded, No surprise--carpet is old, but still in good shape, the red Daytona Carept weave is just faded. The piping still looks pretty good/OK.

Question; Would the product that some of the vendors have for sale Carpet/Interior dye work? I was thinking about trying that dye on a smalll section of carpet before shelling out hunders on a new carpet. Does anyone have experience with this carpet dye, If so, please let me Know, advice welcomed? I have No experience in dying Carpet.

Best Regards,
Hs
Old 11-13-2014, 12:28 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I've redyed several carpets in Corvettes one being red. The color red isn't the same for all years so buying the dye should be from a place that has the right one for your year car. Mid America Motorworks has the dye formulated for the different years for around $19. Probably other vendors too.
The dye is like a thin based paint so it will take several coats. As long as the carpet looks good now, you should end up with a nice looking job in the end. Vacuum it really well and brush with a hard bristled brush to fluff it up some. Don't use a brush that pulls the fibers out or damages it in any way. Spray light coats from different directions covering all areas and repeat until you're happy with it or leave it and come back later for another coat. Once it's done the fibers will be stiffer than the original was but a final rebrush will get rid of much of that.
I've redyed dash pads, carpets and door panels with great success. Just buy the color formulated for your year to ensure the correct shade of red.
I've done carpet while it's still in the car as well. Just be sure to mask or cover everything to protect it from overspray inside and outside of your car!! I bet you'll be happy with the results. Dave

http://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/i...pg&h=200&w=200

Last edited by dkleather; 11-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Hulou
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave,
Thank You, nice report! I have heard of Mid- Amercica Motoworks, but not ordered anything from them. My carpet is the Daytona pyle/weave carpet. It has a short nap carpet. Would this dye/paint work on Daytona carpet? 1959 Red interior.

Thank for the Info!
HS

Originally Posted by dkleather
I've redyed several carpets in Corvettes one being red. The color red isn't the same for all years so buying the dye should be from a place that has the right one for your year car. Mid America Motorworks has the dye formulated for the different years for around $19. Probably other vendors too.
The dye is like a thin based paint so it will take several coats. As long as the carpet looks good now, you should end up with a nice looking job in the end. Vacuum it really well and brush with a hard bristled brush to fluff it up some. Don't use a brush that pulls the fibers out or damages it in any way. Spray light coats from different directions covering all areas and repeat until you're happy with it or leave it and come back later for another coat. Once it's done the fibers will be stiffer than the original was but a final rebrush will get rid of much of that.
I've redyed dash pads, carpets and door panels with great success. Just buy the color formulated for your year to ensure the correct shade of red.
I've done carpet while it's still in the car as well. Just be sure to mask or cover everything to protect it from overspray inside and outside of your car!! I bet you'll be happy with the results. Dave

http://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/i...pg&h=200&w=200
Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Paragon Corvette also has a good selection of dyes for the C1. I'd call either them or MidAmerica or both to see what they recommend for dying and prep for your type of carpet. C2's and later with the loop type carpet is the only experience I have with the dying procedure. Hopefully some of the C1 guys will be of help here with your style carpet.
IMO if your choice is to dye the old carpet or replace with new, you don't have much to lose except for your labor and time for trying the dye. You could save considerable funds for other things......... Check with the vendors first. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Faded Inetrior Carpet, Red 1959

Quick Reply: Faded Inetrior Carpet, Red 1959