C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best floormats to purchase, and where?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM
docent
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Best floormats to purchase, and where?

I purchased some black floormats with the embroidered "StingRay" Emblem, from Zip Corvettes this past April. I paid $105 for the pair.
I have only put alittle over 700 miles on my car, and the fiber piles, wool, I'm not sure of the technical term, - - - -but it seems to be unraveling where you heel sits. I called customer service at Zip, and told them of my concerns. There only 7 months old. He said, he'd call his supplier. That was over a month ago. So, I am in the market for another pair of carpeted black floormats.

Anyone purchase a pair that seem to be wearing normal? Where did you purchase them from? Thanks PS - I wear tennis shoes 99.9% of the time.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'm glad to see you are driving your car. The carpet nap ware is collateral damage, part of ownership. I use the semi clear reproduction vinyl mats for my 2000-2500 miles per year driving. I know they are not carpet, and I can't remember where or when I bought them, but I'm sure they are 12-15 years old. Dennis
Old 11-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Pipe doctor
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I'm glad to see you are driving your car. The carpet nap ware is collateral damage, part of ownership. I use the semi clear reproduction vinyl mats for my 2000-2500 miles per year driving. I know they are not carpet, and I can't remember where or when I bought them, but I'm sure they are 12-15 years old. Dennis
Call me **** but that's why I drive with no shoes
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM
docent
Racer

Originally Posted by Pipe doctor
We'll have to change your name to:

"no shoes, pipe doctor"

We can start a Paypal account, and get donations for some shoes ! ! !
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the similar mats from CC about 4 years ago after I'd replaced Bubba's "****" carpeting with the correct saddle tan carpet for my 63. The driver side mat has constantly "balled-up" at the bottom of the foot well and has annoyed me since day 1. I recently removed the mats while pulling my gauge cluster and discovered that the "nubs" on the back of the mats had left permanent holes/marks in the carpet underneath them. It looks like I'll have to pull my original clear vinyl mats out of storage and re-install. They too, slid around, but did no damage to the carpet.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipe doctor
Either you drive an automatic or you have some damn tough feet!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have the same mats and the quality is poor. This past summer I ordered a set of Lloyd's mats from Zip. Talk to Tom if you want a pair. These mats are the same quality as the other Lloyds products.

I had the script changed to red.

These mats are for a 66, I am sure they offer the 63 script. Also, if I was going to order again, I would omit the holes.

Last edited by MarkC; 11-14-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by docent
I purchased some black floormats with the embroidered "StingRay" Emblem, from Zip Corvettes this past April. I paid $105 for the pair.
I have only put alittle over 700 miles on my car, and the fiber piles, wool, I'm not sure of the technical term, - - - -but it seems to be unraveling where you heel sits. I called customer service at Zip, and told them of my concerns. There only 7 months old. He said, he'd call his supplier. That was over a month ago. So, I am in the market for another pair of carpeted black floormats.

Anyone purchase a pair that seem to be wearing normal? Where did you purchase them from? Thanks PS - I wear tennis shoes 99.9% of the time.
Mine, from Ecklers looked like that after a month. I put the dollar clear mats from walmart on them.

-- Steve
Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm not sure any carpeted floor mat will hold up long to the grinding of the heel of a shoe constantly moving up and down and swiveling between gas/brake. Add a little grit to that collected from walking around on dirt/gravel and end of story.

In both cars I run my 'driving' mats with nice pristine mats for car shows. I've noticed the grain in my repro '61 steering wheel is disappearing and getting slick in spots (just like the original wheel I replaced). My rubber clutch pedal pad is worn down too...

That's just entropy pal - you'll have to deal with it
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default real use of these cars

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm not sure any carpeted floor mat will hold up long to the grinding of the heel of a shoe constantly moving up and down and swiveling between gas/brake. Add a little grit to that collected from walking around on dirt/gravel and end of story.

In both cars I run my 'driving' mats with nice pristine mats for car shows. I've noticed the grain in my repro '61 steering wheel is disappearing and getting slick in spots (just like the original wheel I replaced). My rubber clutch pedal pad is worn down too...

Having driven my car for the last 45 years, I chuckle when reading a post like this. We used these cars as daily drivers, the rugs were shot after a couple of years, needed a starter every other year, carbs, door panels etc.

Replacement interiors were not available. Lots of custom seat covers etc

Jack
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Having driven my car for the last 45 years, I chuckle when reading a post like this. We used these cars as daily drivers, the rugs were shot after a couple of years, needed a starter every other year, carbs, door panels etc.

Replacement interiors were not available. Lots of custom seat covers etc

Jack
True. I've found that **** carpet works nicely, wears well and is 'period correct' and if you can get orange **** carpeting - well, hell, that's just "the bomb"
Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts

True. I've found that **** carpet works nicely, wears well and is 'period correct' and if you can get orange **** carpeting - well, hell, that's just "the bomb"
Frankie, your getting a little too hip..."the bomb". What's next..."that's how I roll". Dennis
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Frankie, your getting a little too hip..."the bomb". What's next..."that's how I roll". Dennis
That's how I roll, bomb ? I must be driving too much, not enough time on social Media
Old 11-14-2014, 11:21 AM
docent
Racer

That's a good idea. I'll use these for normal/regular driving. I'll look into those "Lloyds Mats", and use them for church !
Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lib
I bought the similar mats from CC about 4 years ago after I'd replaced Bubba's "****" carpeting with the correct saddle tan carpet for my 63. The driver side mat has constantly "balled-up" at the bottom of the foot well and has annoyed me since day 1. I recently removed the mats while pulling my gauge cluster and discovered that the "nubs" on the back of the mats had left permanent holes/marks in the carpet underneath them. It looks like I'll have to pull my original clear vinyl mats out of storage and re-install. They too, slid around, but did no damage to the carpet.
Another area in which it doesn't pay to try to outsmart the engineers who designed the factory original parts!

Yes, I know that the mats were a dealer option, not factory pats....
Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

FWIW...........

I just bought a set of Lloyd's mats for my 63. They arrived last week. They look great, with the correct logo embroidery, etc.

I figured it was time to replace the 20+ year old mats that were in the car.

The Lloyd's mats fit like boots on a rooster.

They're too wide to fit "down" on the flat part of the floor. Also, the cutout for the gas pedal doesn't allow one to position the mat properly either.

BUT.......... they look better than my old mats.

Strange but the driver's mat has the holes for the retention hooks, but the passenger's side does not.

Chuck
Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Try Powershifting all the gears all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Best floormats to purchase, and where?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I had nice carpet floor mats that have the rubber nubs/**** that come in contact with the carpet so the mat doesn't slide. Within a short time I found that the nubs/**** were wearing out my newly installed Al Knock carpet. Something to consider when buying mats.
Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

There's drivin' and there's showin'.
I have butt ugly matts in the '61 for driving and protect the salt/pepper carpet from the Florida sunshine and grit off my feet. I have the expensive rubber mats for car shows. Wife even made me a felt cover to go over the tranny tunnel (bless her heart).

This has extended the life of my carpet two years past normal, The Florida sun is just brutal and can fade carpet in one season.

Worth it to me
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I also drive with bare feet.

My Dad has a set of the lloyds mats and they are very nice. I'd get a set myself but they are not offered in Green.

Quick Reply: Best floormats to purchase, and where?