C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1/2 sales strong or not?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is why I own my 1965 Coupe. When I was was an eight-year-old kid on Long Island, one of my neighbors returned from Viet Nam and bought a 1965 Nassau Blue Coupe. I would stand on the sidewalk and just stare at that car. Sometimes, when he worked on it, he would let me hand him tools. I told myself then that I would one day own a car like that. It took me fifty years, but I finally got mine in May of this year. Sometimes, when I work on it, I let the seven-year-old kid next door hand me tools. I don't give a **** how much the "marketplace" says it is worth. I KNOW how much it's worth.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kerouac
Here is why I own my 1965 Coupe. When I was was an eight-year-old kid on Long Island, one of my neighbors returned from Viet Nam and bought a 1965 Nassau Blue Coupe. I would stand on the sidewalk and just stare at that car. Sometimes, when he worked on it, he would let me hand him tools. I told myself then that I would one day own a car like that. It took me fifty years, but I finally got mine in May of this year. Sometimes, when I work on it, I let the seven-year-old kid next door hand me tools. I don't give a **** how much the "marketplace" says it is worth. I KNOW how much it's worth.
Well said brother!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
z06scentair
.....Probably the smartest one in this audience is FTF, who is making money while in the guise of an ordinary Corvette driver/owner......
Well - thanks for that; I always tell folks, "....I'm not just another pretty face!"

Seriously - at nearly 64 years old now I like looking at beautiful things more than ever in my life...women, landscapes, Hubble telescope pictures, cars.

In the case of cars, that means more to me than another $20K in a bank account. That's the 'premium' I guess I've put on keeping my car vs turning a profit. I enjoy having a piece of "automotive art" whether I'm driving it, working on it or just glancing over at it while putzing around the garage vs having a bigger number in a stock portfolio I have to watch and then deal with gut-wrenching market swings. I don't see that changing real soon.

Its entirely conceivable I'll go to the "Happy Hunting Ground" with my cars passing to my only daughter who might drive them, let them rust away, or, sell them. That's just fine with me!

Having said that if some fool offers me $125K tomorrow for either of my cars there'll be a sucking sound in my garage from the car getting snatched out of there. I'm nostalgic -- not an idiot!

As far as investment value - I wish I had a dollar for every time I DIDN'T buy Apple stock in the last 10 years saying to myself, "...these guys are out of ideas...the stock can't possibly go any higher..."
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well - thanks for that; I always tell folks, "....I'm not just another pretty face!"

Seriously - at nearly 64 years old now I like looking at beautiful things more than ever in my life...women, landscapes, Hubble telescope pictures, cars.

In the case of cars, that means more to me than another $20K in a bank account. That's the 'premium' I guess I've put on keeping my car vs turning a profit. I enjoy having a piece of "automotive art" whether I'm driving it, working on it or just glancing over at it while putzing around the garage vs having a bigger number in a stock portfolio I have to watch and then deal with gut-wrenching market swings. I don't see that changing real soon.

Its entirely conceivable I'll go to the "Happy Hunting Ground" with my cars passing to my only daughter who might drive them, let them rust away, or, sell them. That's just fine with me!

Having said that if some fool offers me $125K tomorrow for either of my cars there'll be a sucking sound in my garage from the car getting snatched out of there. I'm nostalgic -- not an idiot!

As far as investment value - I wish I had a dollar for every time I DIDN'T buy Apple stock in the last 10 years saying to myself, "...these guys are out of ideas...the stock can't possibly go any higher..."
Is your 63 a fuel car?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

No sir - base engine 250hp. Its actually the second rarest engine after the F/I motor. You kinda don't see a lot of 'em....even in the Noland Adam's or Peter Brock books - its always the 300hp depicted... I'm sure many of the base motors have been 'upgraded' to look like a 340hp - its easy enough to do...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
I don't give a **** how much the "marketplace" says it is worth.

I paid $3,000 for my 67, gotta be worth at least $4,000 by now.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

In the case of cars, that means more to me than another $20K in a bank account.
Yup. There isn't much point being the guy in the graveyard with the biggest bank account.

I am nostalgic, having my car since I was 16, and doing lots of things in it as teenager I wouldn't take a buck and quarter for it.

A while back a guy asked me how much i would sell my car for.

I told him 10 million dollars. He didn't say anything for while, then asked me if i would take a million for it. I said sure, you got cash, its yours.

I am not an idiot either, I just have a higher price.

Kind of like the old joke: A guy in a bar asks the attractive woman next to him if she would sleep with him for 1 million dollars.

She thinks a moment and says sure. he then asks here: Well, would you sleep with me for $20?

She says hell, No! What do you think i am?

He says, we have already established that, now we are just haggling over the price.

Doug
Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

I'm sure many of the base motors have been 'upgraded' to look like a 340hp - its easy enough to do...
Not the old man's car
Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,262 Likes on 1,686 Posts

z06scentair

you have to realize that you're talking to an audience of old men, the vast majority of which are lower-middle to middle working class. You are not talking to any movers and shakers here. The vast majority come from a farmer-rural background and have no idea of the law of supply/demand and are in denial about demographics. They are clinging to the mistaken belief that the prized mass-marketed, ubiquitous corvette will make them, their children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren rich when they sell their "prized possession" for megabucks in what they imagine will be an ever-rising price/demand spiral. I agree with you and your reasoning, and have been preaching your gospel for years now. The saddest part, imho is that these deluded souls don't drive their corvettes, and life is short. Probably the smartest one in this audience is ftf, who is making money while in the guise of an ordinary corvette driver/owner. Vettebuyer is more forthcoming, and thankfully so. He is trying to make money while the making is still good, but gives no pretense as to being anything but what he is......a used car salesman.
Originally Posted by zoomin
speak for yourself, old fart.
bam!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I have done very, very well with Apple.

But, it's not too late........this company is not done yet
Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I understand AZDoug....but I don't have that kind of history with my current cars. I did sell my '75 LeMans GT (a fairly rare care actually) to my younger brother who still has it. First car I bought after I got married, car I brought my new born daughter home from the hospital in, drove to my Mom's funeral in it, and, was my daily driver to work for many years. It even got a brief spot on the TV show 'GearZ' as a mail-in "What are you working on?" bit...

Really glad it stayed in the family!

Rich Y: I'm fine, I made bank on the VMWare IPO a few years back...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
bam!
Mission Accomplished
Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Mission Accomplished
Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Mission Accomplished
You Jersey guys have a strange sense of humor.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
You Jersey guys have a strange sense of humor.
......and Falling Down is my favorite Michael Douglas movie

Michael Douglas' character is actually a NCRS guy who had a bad day on the judging field.

I can't find any Whammyburger restaurants on the east coast

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 11-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:51 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

So? What's the consensus? Are these cars increasing, decreasing, or flat?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It varies - as you look at this graph for the split window coupes you'll see that things are on the upswing -- and, #1 cars haven't even come close to where their 2006 values were yet. I think there is short-term upside but its prob fragile... 8-10 years from now, nobody knows; if they did they'd be gazillionaires with the right moves...

Personally I think the average non-restomodded C1/C2 will be a quaint nostalgic throwback; with the nicest top level cars and cars with valuable history holding value. Go talk to 10 15 year-old boys sometime; 8 of them are in no hurry to even get their driver's license, let alone own a car - and in their lifetime the cars will all look like rolling microwave ovens that run off electrons or pig farts...

The wild card in the mix are foreign buyers, even the younger overseas folks are gaga over our muscle cars and affluent enough to buy them...that might be the place to unload ours when its time to spend all our money on Maalox and Depends...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-22-2014 at 05:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C1/2 sales strong or not?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

It varies - as you look at this graph for the split window coupes you'll see that things are on the upswing -- and, #1 cars haven't even come close to where their 2006 values were yet. I think there is short-term upside but its prob fragile... 8-10 years from now, nobody knows; if they did they'd be gazillionaires with the right moves...

Personally I think the average non-restomodded C1/C2 will be a quaint nostalgic throwback; with the nicest top level cars and cars with valuable history holding value. Go talk to 10 15 year-old boys sometime; 8 of them are in no hurry to even get their driver's license, let alone own a car - and in their lifetime the cars will all look like rolling microwave ovens that run off electrons or pig farts...

The wild card in the mix are foreign buyers, even the younger overseas folks are gaga over our muscle cars and affluent enough to buy them...that might be the place to unload ours when its time to spend all our money on Maalox and Depends...
Frank,

It does look to me that all years of nice coupes are on an upswing while the roadsters are flat at best.

Just as an FYI

In the last year my travels abroad have been very indepth.

Japan 4 times
Dominican Republic 1 time
Dubai 2 times

Guess how many midyears I've seen?

Zero.

In Dubai and Japan all of the cars are foreign exotics, while in DR the most exotics are cropdusters!

Last edited by z06scentair; 11-22-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Frank,

It does look to me that all years of nice coupes are on an upswing while the roadsters are flat at best.

Just as an FYI

In the last year my travels abroad have been very indepth.

Japan 4 times
Dominican Republic 1 time
Dubai 2 times

Guess how many midyears I've seen?

Zero.

In Dubai and Japan all of the cars are foreign exotics, while in DR the most exotics are cropdusters!
I've seen a small handful in Sweden and Finland, but have no idea how long they've been there or what price was paid. This past spring I sold a Holley on EBay to a guy in Denmark I think it was who was "restoring" a 66 BB. So add one to the small handful.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Frank is right about the younger generation's general disinterest in cars. I think as time passes there won't be a lot of interest in correctly restored stock cars. For years I was into 55-57 Chevy's. Twenty years ago virtually all restorations were stock and the Classic Chevy Club had a large membership with well attended conventions. Today resto-modded 55-57's outnumber the stocks and the Classic Chevy Club has been folded into a group of clubs owned by Ecklers. The younger buyers just don't have the connection to these cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1/2 sales strong or not?