C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your Favorite Grand Sport Racing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I'll see the car next week. I'll check on the tires for you.

Richard Newton
========================
Richard:

Thanks for the input.

This is for the whole group.

I guess what I am really searching for would be to indentify the best/vintage/iconic Tires of the Racing Period between 1963-1971.

That would cover GT, Production, and Trans AM Racing. Basically what our Covettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers and Javelins ran "in the day".

I'll try and get a photo bucket link for you all, at least the information above might help. I do think we have found the best examples of the above period.

Your opinions are very important, because this is a group of people that grew up through this great period of auto racing.

I'm trying to get very accurate information to hopefully work with some business associates to possibly bring some of these "designs" back in a way the we can again "run" the best look of the day, yet have the modern traits that have been such a huge inprovement since then.

Basically a small yet well informed Sample Group.

I am not a 17 inch or larger wheel guy. 15, possibly 16 inches at most. I have to think their are many people who have or are building expensive period "style" "race cars" for the street, track, pro touring events etc., that are running 18-20 inch wheels out of necessity, rather than by choice.

I believe if an alternative was available that gave the true vintage look, there would be a viable market.

What are you thoughts seriously?

Thanks,

Ty

Last edited by tyoneal; 11-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
========================
Richard:

Thanks for the input.

This is for the whole group.

I guess what I am really searching for would be to indentify the best/vintage/iconic Tires of the Racing Period between 1963-1971.

That would cover GT, Production, and Trans AM Racing. Basically what our Covettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers and Javelins ran "in the day".

I'll try and get a photo bucket link for you all, at least the information above might help. I do think we have found the best examples of the above period.

Your opinions are very important, because this is a group of people that grew up through this great period of auto racing.

I'm trying to get very accurate information to hopefully work with some business associates to possibly bring some of these "designs" back in a way the we can again "run" the best look of the day, yet have the modern traits that have been such a huge inprovement since then.

Basically a small yet well informed Sample Group.

I am not a 17 inch or larger wheel guy. 15, possibly 16 inches at most. I have to think their are many people who have or are building expensive period "style" "race cars" for the street, track, pro touring events etc., that are running 18-20 inch wheels out of necessity, rather than by choice.

I believe if an alternative was available that gave the true vintage look, there would be a viable market.

What are you thoughts seriously?

Thanks,

Ty
My thoughts (seriously) are that RACE car people will always pick the tire that has the best GRIP allowable under their various sanctioning organization rules. Those are currently Hoosier Street TD "S" and Goodyear Bluestreak Sportscar Special. This is where the biggest market segment is located. The non-racers or "show car" segment is already served by period Goodyear racetires, and by manufacturers like Cooper Tire which currently produces street tires with "period" cosmetics and graphics (they LOOK like period race tires).
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
My thoughts (seriously) are that RACE car people will always pick the tire that has the best GRIP allowable under their various sanctioning organization rules. Those are currently Hoosier Street TD "S" and Goodyear Bluestreak Sportscar Special. This is where the biggest market segment is located. The non-racers or "show car" segment is already served by period Goodyear racetires, and by manufacturers like Cooper Tire which currently produces street tires with "period" cosmetics and graphics (they LOOK like period race tires).
===========
Thanks for the input, and the additional information.

There might be a 3rd alternative. That is why I was wanting to get an idea of what were the favorites, and which designs, in order of expected greatest amount of interest of the buying public, who love the Vintage cars.

This forum has been profoundly helpful, as there are people on here who participate in every facet of Vintage cars.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal

Anyone, have an order, which would reflect the popularity of each design?

All people are welcome to weigh in, on their favorites.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Goodyear Billboards - Photo

I had Billboards on for a short time however I took them off because insurance would not cover me with race tires on the car. However that said they look RIGHT!

GS with Goodyear Billboards.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Favorite Vintage Wheels

I'm not sure if this is a solution but it's interesting. I was talking to the owner of one of the real Grand Sports last night and he uses 2 different sets of wheels and tires.

All of the wheels are original but he keeps a set of original tires and wheels for display purposes only. He has a 2nd set of wheels with modern race rubber for the times when the car is raced.

Richard Newton
Historic Race Images
=========================
Richard:

Sorry it has been so long since I wrote but it's that time of year.

I appreciate your input to my question, and I loved your FaceBook page. The "Naked" 917 Porsche is my favorite. It litterally looks like it was made of tooth picks welded together. I would love to drive in one.

I'm still working on a solution for us to run a "Vintage" looking street legal tire, and have contacted a Gentleman who is very active at SEMA.
As soon as things slow down a bit, I'm going to pass some ideas past him to help solve our (and everyone else's) little problem who want to drive "Vintage" Street Legal Tires on their cars.

He seemed very nice and open to some very different ideas, that would allow wheels to take a big step forward especially with the Grand Sport Corvettes, all Pro-Touring cars, Vintage Show and Street Driven Cars.

At this point I am not able to describe the idea, but I have put a sizable chuck of money toward this endevour, and its development.

Keep your fingers crossed for everyone, I believe the technology exist now to solve this issue. I will keep everyone updated as I can.

If it takes a while to get back to everyone, don't take it personally I've been busier than a "Prostitute", on $1.00 night, when the Fleet is in.

Thanks again for helping.

Sincerely,

Ty O'Neal
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Your Favorite Grand Sport Racing Tires

Originally Posted by Bill GS
I had Billboards on for a short time however I took them off because insurance would not cover me with race tires on the car. However that said they look RIGHT!

==============================
Your GS looks Awesome with those tires. Have you tried the Stencile "Bill Boards" you can spray on to a Blackwall tire?

That seems like it might look ok, for awhile. I will definitely give it a go if I don't have my other idea finished by then.

Thank you for posting your ideas, information, and killer car.

Sincerely,

Ty O'Neal

GS with Goodyear Billboards.
==========================
Old 12-24-2014, 12:31 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Dr L-88:

Thank you very much, the information AND the pictures were very helpful.

Sincerely,

Ty O'Neal
============================
Mr L88:

Those "Fire Stone - Indy" tires look really kick ***.
Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Ty O'Neal
======================
Old 12-24-2014, 02:29 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This is about as correct as you can get. These are display tires and they're not used during vintage racing. The size is the exact same size as the originals.

The rears are 8.0-15 and the fronts are 6.00-15

Richard Newton
Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Richard, those are great pictures, and an excellent representation of the fact that the tires of the day were NOT full slicks, which did not make their entrance (in sportscar road racing) until the early 1970s
Old 12-24-2014, 03:38 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Keep in mind that the Grand Sport (or lightweight) Corvette was a race car. It constantly changed. That's one reason I like this picture from VIR so much.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 12-24-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: image
Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Richard, those are great pictures, and an excellent representation of the fact that the tires of the day were NOT full slicks, which did not make their entrance (in sportscar road racing) until the early 1970s
These look like the Goodyears I run in vintage racing today. You would not want to drive that compound and tread on the street. In the rain these tires are thrilling They are also bias which is it's own set of issues.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
These look like the Goodyears I run in vintage racing today. You would not want to drive that compound and tread on the street. In the rain these tires are thrilling They are also bias which is it's own set of issues.
Merry Christmas Jerry!
You're right, but I believe we were both out there on them in the rain at CoTA. Thrilling, yes, but predictable. Also the tread pattern (or lack thereof) is similar, but the construction (other than bias) and rubber compound of ours are modern. In my opinion, full wets are hard to get, then (if you don't use them) they "time out" too soon and are worthless.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default This is a real sour topic for quality 15/16 inch speed ratedtires, outside of racing!

===========
Thanks for the input, and the additional information.

There might be a 3rd alternative. That is why I was wanting to get an idea of what were the favorites, and which designs, in order of expected greatest amount of interest of the buying public, who love the Vintage cars.

This forum has been profoundly helpful, as there are people on here who participate in every facet of Vintage cars.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal

Anyone, have an order, which would reflect the popularity of each design?

All people are welcome to weigh in, on their favorites.

There should be a market for a 10 inch rubber speed rated tire in 15/16 inch diameters for very high performance street, or track day, or DOT autocross, or lunch lapping. I have run the BFG Street radials, I think if you are lucky 130mph tire if you do short non-sustained runs, but not rated for that and I think they are technically 112mph is their rating.

I am looking at the reproductions for street usage and that is getting more interesting with Coker and others willing to do reproductions, but because of the very limited selection, I have actually chosen currently a European Spec Pirelli designed for Vintage Rally cars in a 15 inch diameter for my street choice called a Corsa Classic P7 which are still way too radical for the street and don't last long, but they can handle the performance envelope if I so chose to track it or street it.

The racing tire selections have not been a problem! A lot of choices.

If someone offered a Z rated or something better than what is available 295/50-15 or maybe better 275-50-15 8.5-10 inch rim which would fit more applications, then I can't see why there wouldn't be a market for them. And if staggered rim sizes, then a 245-50-15 would be a good marriage and open things up for 7-8.5 inch rims. The 16 inch is dying faster than any of the various sizes, but a 255-50-16 was a nice size-- but the rims selections were limited always!

As for competition, The best 1960's tires is a hard topic to cover, because technology was changing so darn fast. Each of the popular brands had it's day in the sun!

In the modern for competition, it depends on what type of driving you are doing. The Hoosiers and the race Goodyears are true grip tires, whereas a Hoosier TD (very predictable) or some of the other available for Vintage racing tires lets you slide it out.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I kind of wish that

Keep in mind that the Grand Sport (or lightweight) Corvette was a race car. It constantly changed. That's one reason I like this picture from VIR so much.

Richard Newton
The darn Grand Sport wasn't blocking my view of that very cool and interesting Yenko Dealership rig!!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:36 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

This is about as correct as you can get. These are display tires and they're not used during vintage racing. The size is the exact same size as the originals.

Richard Newton
Richard,

I gotta disagree with you regarding those GoodYear tires. They are a shorter profile than was used "back in the day" and nothing in my reasonably comprehensive library of period photos indicates the hideous billboard was ever seen on the Grand Sports back then.

Here are some samples of what was actually used. The taller profile is very obvious.

Firestone:

GoodYear:

Jim
Old 12-25-2014, 07:00 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

I think we're looking at two different races. Maybe that's the difference. I'm not going to quarrel with Miles Collier and Scott George on this one. If they say the tires are period correct I'm going to accept their word.

I might be nice if someone in Philly could stop over and check on Fred's Grand Sport. He's as much a stickler for detail as is Miles. I'm sure he displays his car with the correct tires as well.

Here's more information on this car.

Richard Newton
Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I think we're looking at two different races. Maybe that's the difference.
The photos I picked are from the beginning and the end of Grand Sport racing in the era during which they were somewhat competitive. However pictures from races in between those two points in time show the same thing.

Tires were just taller back then and I can't find any pictures of the cars with those gigantic billboard lettered tires. If you can, please post them.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Your Favorite Grand Sport Racing Tires

Old 12-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The photos I picked are from the beginning and the end of Grand Sport racing in the era during which they were somewhat competitive. However pictures from races in between those two points in time show the same thing.

Tires were just taller back then and I can't find any pictures of the cars with those gigantic billboard lettered tires. If you can, please post them.

Jim
That's the way I remember it Jim. I had a set of Goodyear Blue Streaks on my 63 club racer on widened rims and they had a tread pattern and were not the "stickey" tire of today. I used them on the road but was careful in the wet.

1968 Lime Rock

I have pictures of 1966 Bridgehampton USRRC (but not with me now) and I'll check them next year
Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Richard Newton
====================
Hi Richard:

Thanks for posting the pictures, with the sizes. Do you have any idea what the Profile number/Sidewall Height is on these Tires?

Thanks,

Ty
===================
Old 12-26-2014, 01:29 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Richard,

I gotta disagree with you regarding those GoodYear tires. They are a shorter profile than was used "back in the day" and nothing in my reasonably comprehensive library of period photos indicates the hideous billboard was ever seen on the Grand Sports back then.

Here are some samples of what was actually used. The taller profile is very obvious.

Firestone:

GoodYear:

Jim
=========================
Jim:

I really like these B&W pictures, in fact I was just trying to find these exact picrues yesterday.

Please correct me if I am wrong, It appears in at least two of the pictures, the Racing GS pictured, is wearing the, "(Gold) Firestone (Indy)" tires.

Is this a correct observation?

I'm going to do some research, but do you know the official measurements on these tires? (Overall Height, Profile Height and/or Series Height, and the Tread Width?

Trying to measure them myself, I'm getting:

26 inches tall, 5.5 inch profile from just below the Beadline/Part of the side wall that you can actually see, 9 inch wide tread (On the pavement foot print)

Does this sound correct and if so, how did they calculate the tire sizes back then? (It seemms to me a bit small in height, maybe 27 inches +/- .5 inches?)

I tried to find a set of tires for my 1965 Riviera, and the original size wasn't made anymore, so I guessed and got close, but the sidewall height I put on was a 78, and should have been at most a 70, and at least a 60 series tire.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
======================

Last edited by tyoneal; 12-26-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Grand Sport Racing Tires