C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Event

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Capt Van
As if there ever any question I was thinking of pushing for some of the original gas is still in it but might be a stretch.

Just out in the shop,

Cigaret lighter worked and popped out.

The clock is running like...well..a clock.

Tried the spare tire lock, worked like a charm and my buddy that has the sticker says he has a spare I can use to show but not anywhere near in service limits.

Stabbed the accelerator once and she lit right up, hasn't been started in 2 or 3 days
Uhh, not so fast on the clock my friend. Does the second hand sweep smoothly or does it pause between seconds? If its smooth, it's been converted to quartz and someone may try to ding you 25 points. Don't let them do it. It's a fail for PV but not in Flight Ops.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Van
if the clock is smooth running (rather than ticking) it is full 25 pt deduct, and you cannot prevent that short of changing the works before the meet. I wouldn't bother.
Van, take your granddaughter to the meet, she will really enjoy watching the judges swarming over it and under it. It's different than show judging. And, if you tend to win car show awards, don't be surprised if your car loses points for paint in NCRS judging. Original St. Louis paint finish was not show car finish, and show paint usually does not fare well in flight judging. Don't sweat it though. Your car will do very well overall. We can tell that just from looking at it here. Good luck,
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Uhh, not so fast on the clock my friend. Does the second hand sweep smoothly or does it pause between seconds? If its smooth, it's been converted to quartz and someone may try to ding you 25 points. Don't let them do it. It's a fail for PV but not in Flight Ops.
Zoomin, are you sure? Once again, it's been a long time since I had my car judged and I think I lost 25 points on my quartz clock.
Rick
Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Beautiful '67!! You will do very well. As others have suggested, relax and enjoy the experience. The judges are as passionate about these cars as you are...they are there to help you make your car better. Having just had my car judged last month, on the OP side...I thought I had it all covered...one of my backup lights failed to light (it did when I got back home...go figure), be sure your door lock unlocks counterclockwise on the driver's side and clockwise on the passenger side (mine were just the opposite). Above all...enjoy the event and the great members.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

My granddaughter is a true gear head, when she was 10 she helped me rebuild one of the carbs for my 60 (and between you and me it is going to be hers one day. My plan is to tell her that her and I are going to restore it for Karen her Nana, Nana will give her the keys when she graduates, can't wait to start the project with her).

She will be at the event with me and trying to hang with the judges

Nans and the 60

How many 12 year old kids wipe off the tools and put them where they belong...every time?

She got the bug when she showed my S.O.B. car at a local show and won when she was 8 or 9!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Very nice!

She must be a good Friend

My wife doesn't even get to look at my cars much less drive them.

Like I said above you'll do well!
She is. She has MS and can no longer work as a county sheriff, just sad. She is really a very good person. Made my day to have her take it to an event that raised money for her cause. She had a great day and did a bad *** smokey burn out when it was over...and the crowd went wild
Old 11-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ricks327
Zoomin, are you sure? Once again, it's been a long time since I had my car judged and I think I lost 25 points on my quartz clock.
Rick
I had the 25 point deduction marked against me just last month. I went to a judging seminar where a power point presentation was given that said quartz was a 25 pt deduct too. It's asinine that a quartz movement should cost that many points, so I went and asked the team lead to learn more about why that is so aggregious. He said the judges were wrong to do so and corrected my score sheet, gave me all 25 PTS back and said it wouldn't fly in PV but does in Flight Ops.

When you look at point deductions for other items, I don't think there's anything else that even comes close. If there had been a hole in the dash instead of the clock, it would be the same penalty? C'mon. Meanwhile you can have a completely unoriginal luggage rack and lose maybe 4 points?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 PM
ricks327
Race Director

I agree. If you have a correct Corvette clock and it works, you should
get the points. But dem are da rules.
Rick
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,690 Posts

You caught a lucky break. Don't look for it every time. It's spelled out in the judging guide. No discretion, but you got some. That's how judging goes. Another example of the unfairness in life sometimes!

ps. I have seen some owners go nuts over inconsistencies in judging. Better to go with the flow. If you think something in judging is not right, raise your issue with the judges, and then the Team Leader if you wish. Sometimes you get satisfaction, sometimes not. It is not life and death. It should all be for your enjoyment and education. Often you will see Team Leader perogative in your favor. The goal is to help owners achieve their best possible flight judging award.

Last edited by 65hihp; 11-16-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Don,
I agree that sometimes you catch a break. Werner Meier was doing the mechanical and didn't check the date code on my carb, no deduct. But I still swear that he pulled the electrical plug off my heater blower motor as a joke. I corrected it though.
Rick
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65hihp
You caught a lucky break. Don't look for it every time. It's spelled out in the judging guide. No discretion, but you got some. That's how judging goes. Another example of the unfairness in life sometimes!

ps. I have seen some owners go nuts over inconsistencies in judging. Better to go with the flow. If you think something in judging is not right, raise your issue with the judges, and then the Team Leader if you wish. Sometimes you get satisfaction, sometimes not. It is not life and death. It should all be for your enjoyment and education. Often you will see Team Leader perogative in your favor. The goal is to help owners achieve their best possible flight judging award.

Understood. I came to learn the rules of the game, not change them. Just trying to give the OP a heads up.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I'll be going over to Howey In The Hills on Saturday morning.

Not sure what I'll be doing there, but I'll be judging something if I'm needed.

And yes, regardless of what you've heard and read, and how you feel about it, a quartzed clock is a 25 point hit. Always has been. Nothing new.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Don't forget proof of ownership/insurance and both set of keys. Good Luck
Old 11-17-2014, 11:02 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

I will be there, and will be judging your car most likely. Fender covers, water, chairs, sunglasses, socket to drop your spare tire carrier down, towels for your sill plates (if you want) for the judging of the interior, and remember to HAVE FUN.....Look forward to seeing you and your car there. ARA
Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
I will be there, and will be judging your car most likely. Fender covers, water, chairs, sunglasses, socket to drop your spare tire carrier down, towels for your sill plates (if you want) for the judging of the interior, and remember to HAVE FUN.....Look forward to seeing you and your car there. ARA
See you there, Ara.

Richard V is bringing his 67 for Sportsman display.

Chuck
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
See you there, Ara.

Richard V is bringing his 67 for Sportsman display.

Chuck
Yes, I talked with him last night. Very much looking forward to seeing all you guys up there this weekend. Regards. ARA
Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'll be bringing the split window along Saturday....its way too late to get it into Sportsman's Class - I got tied up with work and very sick in-laws last couple of months and this event just sorta slipped up on me

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Event

Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'll be bringing the split window along Saturday....its way too late to get it into Sportsman's Class - I got tied up with work and very sick in-laws last couple of months and this event just sorta slipped up on me
Looking forward to seeing both of you.

Frank, I've never seen your 63.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

What is the Sportsman class?

Glad to see you are going to make it Frankie.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Capt Van
What is the Sportsman class?
Just means you drove any year Corvette to the show. And it's not to be judged. Good luck at the show. Don't sweet the small stuff. Sit back and learn and have fun.

Quick Reply: NCRS Event