C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Generator belt hitting mounting bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

OK...I'm going to add Frank to stop looking at my pictures also!

Good catch!! I went out there and sure as heck, it wasn't tight...just finger tight. I put it on just so that the bolt doesn't come lose.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

I like that pulley better. Don't worry, I put my hands up on either side of the pulley to cover everything else when I looked at your picture.

Rich
p.s. BTW I made a mistake in my diagram picture. The 4" pulley is NOT offset. I'll correct that.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

BTW...I got a shorter belt. But this seems weird to me....

When I went to put on a shorter belt, I loosened the generator adjusting bracket bolt and move the generator towards the engine...it didn't really swing that far over before the body of the generator hit the bracket...and the adjusting bolt was straight up. I put the belt on which was a very close fit...and pulled the generator back...but I would have thought I would have gotten more movement on the generator towards the engine.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Ok...All back together and looking good!
(Note for Rich)...Please do not look at this picture!

Attachment 47841787
That nut and lock washer are non standard, but effective when the end plate (aluminum) threads are stripped, common. I Heli coil most of the ones I rebuild so that can't happen again. One other point I feel compelled to make is that plenty of folks continue to use the passenger car generators in their cars successfully and have done so for many years. The difference in the end plates is one of height only. Back in the day, it was done for clearance purposes in relation to the hood was the experts consensus (not an issue anyway in non racing applications). Lastly, passenger end frames have NOTHING to do with pulley alignment front to back, only the vertical angle is slightly changed. I say all of this so people who read this that might be trying to put their cars together are not mislead by your problem which was unique to your car. Again, I'm glad you got your problem squared away, just did not want someone reading this 2 years from now to be mislead. Pilot Dan
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Dan...thanks for the info and contributing to the post. I agree that it's nice to include things for people to follow.

BTW...My threads were fine on the generator adjusting hole...I just put the nut on there so it doesn't come lose.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
That nut and lock washer are non standard, but effective when the end plate (aluminum) threads are stripped, common. I Heli coil most of the ones I rebuild so that can't happen again. One other point I feel compelled to make is that plenty of folks continue to use the passenger car generators in their cars successfully and have done so for many years..... Pilot Dan
As I have - for 8 years and the previous owner for years before me
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I was standing back and looking at the generator...and I was like...hmmm...is this my imagination or what? So, I took out a piece of straight stock steel and laid it along side the water pump pulley.
Now I'm too far out....WTH?? Now what is with this??

Name:  generator2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 11-19-2014, 01:11 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I must be getting old. Looks like I created a post on this a long time ago...but I must have had the pulley on that I do now...and decided to get a pulley that was closer to the generator....which Rich noticed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1575179323
Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

After thinking about this...not even sure if this makes sense, cause I have a 327 block, the original engine mount bracket...but the water pump was replaced and Harmonic Balance.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:37 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I did some double checking....I have the correct exhaust manifolds
3749965 Left side
3760556 Right side
I have the correct water pump
The harmonic balance is in-line with the water pump (may 1/16" off if anything).

So what the heck is off?? With the pulley I have on now (that has the spacing), I'm too far forward about 1/4"...with the one I took off, I was 1/4" too far back...go figure.

Back in 2010...Bill Mashinter replied and said this..
From the NCRS Judging Guide: 1958 right-hand hood support models had the generator mounted with the u-shaped support directly to the (right hand) exhaust manifold (no mounting plate used).
I have a right-hand hood support, but why would the generator be mounted in a different position...and if so, how could it line up, unless there was a completely different U-Shaped bracket. And what would be so different than other 58-60?? I guess what I mean by that, is if I have the correct exhaust manifolds, water pump, HB...then why would my generator be any different than anyone else's??

If I was to mount my existing U-Shape bracket directly to the exhaust manifold, that would move the generator back about 3/4"...I only need to go back 1/4"...so I'd be 1/2" back to far.

I seem to always be having these weird problems.

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 11-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I did some double checking....I have the correct exhaust manifolds
3749965 Left side
3760556 Right side
I have the correct water pump
The harmonic balance is in-line with the water pump (may 1/16" off if anything).

So what the heck is off?? With the pulley I have on now (that has the spacing), I'm too far forward about 1/4"...with the one I took off, I was 1/4" too far back...go figure.

Back in 2010...Bill Mashinter replied and said this..

I have a right-hand hood support, but why would the generator be mounted in a different position...and if so, how could it line up, unless there was a completely different U-Shaped bracket. And what would be so different than other 58-60?? I guess what I mean by that, is if I have the correct exhaust manifolds, water pump, HB...then why would my generator be any different than anyone else's??

If I was to mount my existing U-Shape bracket directly to the exhaust manifold, that would move the generator back about 3/4"...I only need to go back 1/4"...so I'd be 1/2" back to far.

I seem to always be having these weird problems.
My total guess is that you have the early '58 u-bracket (it mounted to the manifold) and need the later u-bracket (designed to bolt to the 4-hole bracket)?!

I get the front face of my '59 u-bracket 1-5/8 in front of the front face of the exhaust manifold. See what you get.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Houston...we have a problem...

The hood brace hit's the generator....what the heck?? And yes the hood brace goes on the passenger side cause it's an early 58 (#2300) and the hood has the mount on that side also.

When I first got this car, the generator was on the drivers side. I moved it to the passenger side per everyone on the forum telling me that's where it should mount.

I hate it when I'm trying to figure out a problem and run into another.

Now I'm totally confused. Anyone have an early 58...maybe the parts were different.

Name:  DSCN3301[1].jpg
Views: 345
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3302[1].jpg
Views: 354
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Here are some more pictures...

Name:  DSCN3303[1].jpg
Views: 358
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  DSCN3304[1].jpg
Views: 324
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  DSCN3305[1].jpg
Views: 334
Size:  51.3 KB
Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'll admit to being ignorant about early '58s so I can ask a question: Does the hood support really attach to the radiator support?

That certainly places it inboard by a lot. Me, I'd attach it to the lip of the fender, but that might be incorrect for your early car.

Jim
Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

The early 58's had it mounted to the radiator...later they mounted it to the body on the drivers side.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The early 58's had it mounted to the radiator...later they mounted it to the body on the drivers side.
So, there must be early and late '58 hoods also. Approximately how many '58s had the passenger side hood support?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Yes...that is correct. The hoods were different.
I don't know when the switch was made to the Drivers Side.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Generator belt hitting mounting bolt

Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

The assembly manual shows that the 58 used a back plate that was bolted to the exhaust manifold and the U-Shape bracket was bolted to it with the generator. So basically this moved the generator forward about 5/8" forward. (see picture below).
Bill said that the NCRS judging manual states that 58's with the hood support on the right (Passenger side) only used the U-Shape bracket. So I decided to remove my generator and align the bolt holes of the U-Shape bracket to the exhaust manifold and see where things would line-up.
If I did this, I'd now be too far back! AND that is even with the pulley that has the 1/4" space between the fan and the pulley on the generator.
Now this guy contacted me...he has a 58 with the hood support on the right and his generator is just mounted with the U-Shape bracket. His generator pulley and fan do not have the spacing like mine and yet he says his fan belt is lined-up to the water pump pulley...now this really perplexes me. How can that be?
One thing we did discover, is that the generator adjusting bracket must be different for 58's that have the hood support on the right side, cause the "correct" one is too long. His is shorter than mine and his generator is very close to the valve covers...allowing the hood support to drop down alone side it and out of the way.

Name:  DSCN3306[1].jpg
Views: 338
Size:  56.3 KB

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 11-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Now this guy contacted me...he has a 58 with the hood support on the right and his generator is just mounted with the U-Shape bracket. His generator pulley and fan do not have the spacing like mine and yet he says his fan belt is lined-up to the water pump pulley...now this really perplexes me. How can that be?
I remember a thread on this and there was a different crank pulley (flatter) and water pump pulley (not a cone shape) that positioned the belt further to the rear. I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I found this interesting...

In Noland Adams book restoration Vol 1....page 273...shows an engine with the generator mounted...and if you look closely at the top left picture showing an early 58 and there is no "backing plate" on the generator. Same with page 279 bottom right.
BTW...I checked my water pump....it's 3736493.

I used a pencil and paper to trace out the numbers....any other tricks to "lift off a number" that is hard to get to?

Quick Reply: 58 - Generator belt hitting mounting bolt