C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fun find: 435 blk blk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 PM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to see that hot rod on the road and at the local cruise nights.
Restored 67 427/435 yawn, please leave that bad boy just the way it is.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Count me in for a full, frame off restoration please....IMO there are way too many NOM 67's you can do that to....but not that many real motor 435's out there. Couple that with the rarest color (815) and that's a pretty rare and significant car. Those beasts retaining their original motor are rare birds. Flares, hopped up motors, aftermarket/period wheels, etc are AWESOME, but not on an original motor 435 car...again, just my opinion but there are too many other non original motor turds out there to do that to....ARA. NCRS # 48542
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Bring it back to original. To many fakes this is real.
I think flares are a lazy and ugly way to put big tires on a car. If you want big tires do it right. How can you argue with the designers of such great lines as an original car. Just my opinion (4yrs computer design school and 20yrs graphic design for agency)

Last edited by morly1963; 11-20-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
Count me in for a full, frame off restoration please....IMO there are way too many NOM 67's you can do that to....but not that many real motor 435's out there. Couple that with the rarest color (815) and that's a pretty rare and significant car. Those beasts retaining their original motor are rare birds. Flares, hopped up motors, aftermarket/period wheels, etc are AWESOME, but not on an original motor 435 car...again, just my opinion but there are too many other non original motor turds out there to do that to....ARA. NCRS # 48542
Personally, I kind of like my 67 NOM "turd"...
Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Personally, I kind of like my 67 NOM "turd"...
When I said turd, I was referring to those cars that in the "fire" sale on the general discussion board. Ones that have significant damage and NOM are ones to take liberties with, not OM cars that have significance in the hobby. I could build a mean 572 with one of the cars that were in the fire that is the subject to the ebay listing on the general discussion board. Flares, mags, blue streaks, 5 speed, narrowed rear, etc....
Old 11-20-2014, 05:59 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I do think I recognize this car, but haven't found it yet!

Originally Posted by mattnSD
Derek..
Do you recognize the car? I dont.
The plates appear to be later from a 68-69 (??). Possibly not its original plates is what Im getting at. Just my thoughts, but if the ownership can be traced back to the true 60's cal club scene with names, photos, etc....it probably would be worth more LEFT ALONE. Awesome stamp pad....and if the owner can adequately trace the cars' history, it would be even that much more extra special! LEFT ALONE!
(But you know Im a little biased in this area....)
Down in Socal, most of the competition cars got big Holleys. Thus a Slalom/Club running tri-carb was an oddity. I know of one running down San Diego way back in the day and a few in Northern California. I will casually see if I spot him again, somewhere in my literature.

And even though I respect the Thorpe Guys talent. I think any historical will lose out to the restoration crowd. I love the stance on this car, I don't love the BFG's like I said, I would have to get the cheap carb fuel lines changed with the dumb glass filter etc.. When I see a car like this, I don't think of value, but as to the history of what it became with the flares etc.. But I know the fate, will cause them to be cut off for the almighty dollar value of the car like the investors do! I know the Thorpes freshened up the Delorenzo car in it's race car config and that was cool (which it should stay that way), I think their customer will dictate the direction unfortunately.

Matt because I think I know the fate of the car, I ain't going to help them with any history if I find it! Most of them don't receive it very well and aren't real gracious when you hand them it. Therefore, not my crowd! I think Jim G. is one of the few that walks a respectful line between both camps of enthusiast and investors.

PS I keep getting busy, but I think you can tell I have been working on how the WSCC fits into our histories lately. Your gal made the conventions- San Diego, Vancouver, Los Angeles for sure! I think Tucson, I don't think San Jose in 71. I found another treasure trove of Slalom racing pictures and found Laurie Tex when she was a Keegan in the Corvette Unlimited Club, and others like Jerry Butler, Bob Tyler, Jim Gray, Bill Martin, Gary Smith, Robin Andersen, Milt Piver, John Duncan, and a bunch of others are matched up with their C1 and C2's rides from back in the day.

Thus since you were the only one that asked, any finds on this car-- I will share a tidbit or two with you!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-20-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

When I said turd, I was referring to those cars that in the "fire" sale on the general discussion board. Ones that have significant damage and NOM are ones to take liberties with, not OM cars that have significance in the hobby. I could build a mean 572 with one of the cars that were in the fire that is the subject to the ebay listing on the general discussion board. Flares, mags, blue streaks, 5 speed, narrowed rear, etc....
oh...significance in the hobby? Dude, I can tell where this is going...I won't hijack the thread...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by morly1963
Bring it back to original. To many fakes this is real.
I think flares are a lazy and ugly way to put big tires on a car. If you want big tires do it right. How can you argue with the designers of such great lines as an original car. Just my opinion (4yrs computer design school and 20yrs graphic design for agency)
Lazy and ugly. I have to disagree on that. 1965 L78. Original engine. Production numbers: about 1,600 fewer than the '67 L71.

Last edited by Thorson; 11-20-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I would rather start a custom/race build off of a high end car!

I usually don't sell them is why! I found when you have a hot car, what it was or where it came from are normal questions that people ask. Therefore would rather tell them that the flared car is a 427/435hp car, than a 250hp powerglide former burnt or wrecked car personally. But then again, I don't mind ruining an NCRS types day! And I don't mind them walking away thinking I am stupid for doing what they wouldn't do to a high end car, because it sure solicited a reaction based on what it was and sure caused them to walk over and walk away pondering things!

I think we all choose the ones we buy or build them, with some thought of how they will be received. If you have the best stock fender car, most documented, and most shined-- whatever floats your boat! Like the guy above says-- "Yawn!!!!"
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Now on your car, I like the BFG's because I think the knockoff spinners do it for me!

Originally Posted by Thorson
Lazy and ugly. I have to disagree on that. 1965 L78. Original engine. Production numbers: about 1,600 fewer than the '67 L71.
I like the stance, and it would draw me over to look for more cool mods.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Day 2 mods are wildly popular and accepted by every part of the muscle car hobby, except Corvette people. Why is that? Period correct mods are so interesting compared to rows of identically restored cars at a show. I don't personally like fender flares, but when they are under the patina they are part of the car's history, and it merits serious consideration to leave them as they are.

I am ready to start modding my 435 car (yes, a real red 435 car) just to have fun, because I never got to do it when they were all just used cars (I am 35). Only live once.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Maybe, to prevent everyone hyperventilating over day 2 versus original, Thorpescorvette can share with us his plans for the car?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Maybe, to prevent everyone hyperventilating over day 2 versus original, Thorpescorvette can share with us his plans for the car?
Great project and congratulations!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Back in the days of the street wars!

Being a Whittier Boulevard and Van Nuys Boulevard alumni, when we saw a stock Corvette regardless of what engine option it had, we would go how Purdy!!!! (with it's skinny A$$ed tires and our Girlfriends would want one)!!!!! But when we saw a big tired Corvette, as a Muscle car guy-- it made you think twice about messing with one. The car with the flares, looks like a Man's man car!

And when Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, Super Stock and the other periodicals got one, guess what- instantly started to modify it, tune it etc.. When Motor Trend, Road Track etc got one, they would highlight the creature comforts and the ride quality, and door panel fit, and other attributes! So which magazine were you guys picking up and reading growing up?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-21-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

This is the way they were modified in the "good old days" and looks great even today!

Not that it matters, but I would rather look at and drive modified Corvette's rather than stock examples.

Originally Posted by Thorson
Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

As far as the upside down number goes, I believe the eyes of the corvette forum to be spot on. Ill know more once the gaskets are ripped off. I think that the human error only adds to the fact that it is indeed original. I didn't mean to criticize anyones comments. Moving on...

I haven't driven the car or started on it, but I did find something pretty cool that I think everyone here would like to see.

As far as the car goes..its being restored. She's tired and deserves it.

Keep in mind its a cell phone capture. Still fun to stare at.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt Van
Looks like a great find.

I've been looking for my dads 67. Do you happen to know if the selling dealer was Gene Merollis Chevrolet in Garden City, MI?

Thanks
I will run through my paperwork and find out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Fun find: 435 blk blk

Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by ThorpesCorvettes
I will run through my paperwork and find out for you.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

We started tearing this puppy down today....found some goodies. Please excuse our mindless chatter, its half me getting an education and half excitement. This is the kinda stuff that makes our job fun.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Looks like a radio delete car from the tank sticker, but i see an antenna. Was the radio added??

Quick Reply: Fun find: 435 blk blk